Hey, I'm quite nosey. I'll eavesdrop on conversations if I think they are interesting enough. I love to know things about people. Even the stupid shit. I've seen alot of memes before where you have to photograph certain things, in or out of the house, so here's my contribution. I don't mind you looking in my refridgerator.
Front and center are a couple of six packs. I had just commented on one of your posts about buying this beer yesterday as a gift for our brother-in-law. He's hard to buy for so we usually give him a gift card for movie rentals, or just a DVD of something we've seen and liked. But since the weather is getting better and BBQ season is here I'm sure he'll appreciate a couple of cold ones. At the big liquor store not too far from us you can take an empty beer holder and fill it with bottles of your choice. With names like Old Rasputin, Walt Wit, Abita Jockamo, Circus Boy, and Raspberry Hefeweizen I'm sure he'll have fun taste-testing. Got him a bag of pistachio nuts to go with the beer. Isn't that a good gift for a guy?
Maybe you're curious enough to see if the picture enlarges and poke around in my fridge. Eh, it's not all that interesting.... alot of low-fat and fat-free stuff. I love Stoneyfield Farm yogurt and just bought fresh Jersey asparagus. YUM! Hubs has been on a diet for his cholesterol for about 4 months now. It IS working as the number went from 267 to 183 with no meds. And he's lost 20 lbs. What the hell my problem is I don't know. I eat basically the same food and I haven't lost a pound. Of course he's wayyyyy more active than I am. Last night while he did a pretty good bench and weights workout, I sat on the recumbant bike and pedaled.... somewhat s.l.o.w.l.y ...for maybe 20 minutes. I was more interested in answering the Jeopardy questions on t.v. than monitoring the speed and tension on the bike. I know, that's the first problem.
What is it with the price of some food???? That jar of tahini was SEVEN DOLLARS!!!! WTF. I really like homemade hummus though, so it was a good splurge. Fresh lemon, ground chick peas, maybe a little garlic, and the ground sesami seed tahini ..... MMMMM. It goes great with all those assorted flatbreads that I bought. Not so sure what 'Bible Bread' is, but it looked interesting and was on sale. Another item I bought today that I have noooo idea why I would spend THAT much money on was the salt. It's primordial Himalayan sea salt. Six bucks for six ounces. YIKES!!! I've never spent that much on freaking SALT before. But it was calling to me. It'll go real nice on the asparagus roasted with olive oil and fresh basil. I'm still buying herbs from the store until hubby's garden is ready. He just planted most of it last weekend. Alot of peppers, herbs, eggplant and definitely Jersey tomatoes! They are soooo worth waiting for!
So what are some things at the grocery store that you have to have? Or what do you splurge on? Are you a name brand shopper or are store brands just as good? What's the most interesting thing in your fridge or pantry?


I make hummus and babaganush all the time..they are fantastic.
ReplyDeleteMaking your own tahini is easy just put roasted sesame seeds in the food processor or blender with a tiny bit of olive oil and let it churn for a few minutes.
I totally love this idea of taking a picture in the fridge. I am stealing this for next week. Seriously.
ReplyDeleteWe use a lot of store brands. We also love shopping at Super H Mart. It's this incredible and gigantic Asian mart with unbelievably low prices and fresh sashimi grade fish.
MWM is a brand name snob! He won't have anything but Heinz Beans, not that we eat a lot of canned food anyway.
ReplyDeleteThe nicest thing in my fridge at the moment is some smoked salmon - I adore it!
Seriously? Your fridge is that clean? No way am I showing mine. Heehee... one of the strangest things in my pantry is probably the fish flakes I got to make YOUR miso soup recipe. Yum! :)
ReplyDeleteI buy a lot of store brands right now, trying to conserve money and that's an easy place to do so. When I want to splurge I go to Trader Joes and buy their olive tapenade and cambazola(sp?) cheese and their parmesan crisps. Scrum. I also love their smoked trout but they never seem to have it any more.
Dang... all this talk of food has made me hungry!
$7??!! even ripoff London's not THAT expensive... look carefully: maybe you'll spot golddust...
ReplyDeleteHey M....you may not post every day, but your posts make me smile! Your fridge looks fabulous!! And I LOVE Wegmans!!! They are simply the BEST when it comes to grocery stores...how 'bout that Nature's Marketplace?? And that salt....sounds terrific!! Yup....Tahini is expensive....all organics are pretty expensive. I went a little nuts a couple of years ago and decided to eat only organic and it damn near broke us! How I miss our vegetable garden! We used to have such great stuff....just don't have the time to tend to it like we used to. Great idea....this post!!
ReplyDelete