Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

Ramblings of a book lover ....

Recently I got an email from the CEO of Borders.  It was titled 'A Fond Farewell ... Thank You for Shopping at Borders'.  It was sent out to all Rewards Members.   I'd known that the stores weren't doing well for some time, but to read that after 40 years in business and different unsuccessful attempts at dealing with the changing book industry that they were at the point of a final liquidation sale was so sad.    

I do have to admit that I wasn't a very loyal customer the last couple of years.  The Borders closest to me was about 25 minutes away and when the price of gas started creeping up I did start going there less.  Add to that some additional road construction and traffic and it just became easier to go to a Barnes and Noble closer to my home.    

However, reading that letter brought back fond memories of when I did frequent that Borders store!  Many days when my children were in school I would drive over, order up a large hot cocoa from one of many fabulous baristas, grab a book off a shelf, and read...sometimes for hours.  There were many Friday nights as well that we would go as a family and meet friends there to hang out... cafe tables pushed together, stacks of assorted books and mags, snacks, drinks, listening to local musicians, watching chess players make their moves.  GOOD times!  HAPPY times!

Finding out about Borders closing got me wondering how many other bookstores may end up the same way.  The day I got that email I ran right over to Barnes & Noble and bought a couple of books.  I felt like I better stock up, just in case!  Funny as that sounds, I really think bookstores are in real danger.  The only way many of them will be able to stay in business is if they are offering other items, which is why I think our local B & N has a big section dedicated to their Nook eReader, and a board/card game section as well as a children's section and a toy area.  The store I frequent did away with most of their cd's awhile ago and I was a bit annoyed with that since I used to buy some diverse 'World Music' there but with many people downloading music online now it's no wonder they couldn't keep sales up in that department either. 

So how do YOU feel about books/bookstores?  Do you own any of the many eReaders available now?  I have not bought one.  It's not because I don't understand their appeal.  I would agree that for business or other travel it is very convenient to not have to pack and carry assorted reading materials.  Also, maybe college students might find it easier and less expensive to download certain required reading if available in that format.  I won't argue either that the price of a new hardcover book can be expensive and many of us do have to watch our spending.  But to read for pleasure.... I cannot even imagine wanting anything else than a real book!  I look for sales and coupons whenever I can, however, I will buy or order a regular priced book if it's something I'm very interested in. 
Since I get most of my news online and do a fair amount of emailing, blogging, and Facebooking, I just can't take any additional technology in my face.  As often as I can, I want to lounge on my bed and read a book... touching each page!   I want to sit in the cafe of our local bookstore with a stack of goodies... big coffee table types, books on photography, cooking, self-help, novels, magazines.   Ahhhh, a little bit of heaven on earth. 

What's that... you want some proof of my book obsession? Certainly, dear readers, you know I like to blog with pictures!  Continue on.....

Yikes, my bookcases are a hot mess lately, I know.  Every so often I do get in there and sort, clean, and reorganize.  Sometimes I recycle a few too.   


Maybe the sepia version makes things look neater?  No!?  Okay, but I tried!

I have books tucked in everywhere.

Sometimes I need them for research.  These are helping as I develop my Reiki class.

Some of these I've used for inspiration when I'm about to make a new piece of jewelry or a greeting card. 

Others are collections of short stories or novels waiting to be read.

Some even belong my husband.  Although he has nowhere near as many as I do.  And sorry to say, he keeps a couple on the window ledge of our bathroom.... which doubles as his reading room.   Do YOU keep any books in your bathroom?

'The Almost Moon' was my latest read.  I did lose interest at some point and scanned thru a number of pages until I could continue with it because I really did want to see if I liked the ending.  Did I, you ask?  I still don't quite know.  The basic storyline .... A woman suddenly kills her elderly mother who had been suffering for many years with agoraphobia, and then later, dementia.  Over the 24 hours that follow she goes back over her life and relationship with her mother and others while trying to figure out what she's done and what to do about it. 

And these are ....

Did you know that Gene Wilder, who played the wonderfully creative and eccentric Willy Wonka, is an author as well as an actor?  I can't wait to read what he's written.

I've loved books most of my life.  I'm not quite sure who first inspired me to read though.  My mom only really liked those gossip magazines.  I remember her buying them in the grocery store.  OH what wild headlines...  Hollywood Housekeepers Tell All!  A 70 year old woman gives birth to triplets!   Lose 50 pounds in a week on this amazing diet!   haha    She knew those stories were silly but she had a funny sense of humor and they must have helped her pass the time on days when her life felt very routine.   My dad didn't finish high school, but he certainly taught himself what he needed to know in life and I'm sure many would say he was an intelligent man. 
He did read occasionally, preferring history to anything else, and he kept a dictionary on hand for crossword puzzles, but I don't recall him ever reading a novel or talking to me about what I was reading.  Not that he would have had much point of reference for a Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys discussion. 

Interestingly, for all the wonderful books we have in our home, and the stories we read to our children when they were young, neither of them developed much involvement in reading for pleasure.  They completed their assignments for school and would occasionally scan through a magazine but they've never enjoyed novels.  My daughter is 27 and she only recently started reading the Harry Potter books but she watched all the movies first.  Maybe that makes it easier for her, being able to picture the characters as they were portrayed on film?  Maybe knowing the basics of what happened in each movie makes it easier for her to add in all the additional things included in the books? 

As with many things, reading is a personal thing. 


8 comments:

  1. What a great post, Mary! I too love to read (as you know!). I would never exchange a hardback for a Kindle book, but it is really great for those books you'll read and then give away. To get a book for FREE to 2.99 or so is great when books are so expensive. I read both hardcopy and Kindle extensively.

    I think that bookstores made their own bed. First of all, they hired people for cheap, people who often don't know books. Then they had huge delays in ordering books. I pay $75/year to get free shipping from Amazon for everything--books, supplements, drugstore-type stuff, bulk dry goods, cloths, etc. This saves on gas. I get two day shipping on most things for free. So then Borders and B&N want me to wait a week or two weeks even to have it "come in" and then I have to drive there AGAIN to get it.

    In our new economy, local stores have to provide something to give them an advantage over online stores. For me, this is customer service, which the local bookstores haven't provided since 1999, when I began ordering books online from Amazon!

    Thanks for listening to my rant :) xoO

    PS I love bookshelf pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "'A Fond Farewell ... Thank You for Shopping at Borders'."

    OMG, I know what you mean, it made me so sad too! Little by little, I've been watching Borders close all their stores. The first was the one in Chestnut Hill (last year), and then the one here in Center City a few months ago. Such a bummer because I really liked Borders more than Barnes & Noble.

    However, B&N seems to be THRIVING. At least the one here in Philly.

    It truly amazes me that any bookstore is still in business with the invention of Nook and Kindle.

    It's kinda like what happened to music with the invention of the computer and being able to download music. Some even for FREE.

    I'm with you, even though I love the technology, sometimes it's nice to just sit in a bookstore with a stack of goodies and something to eat and drink, and just chill. Yup....heaven on earth!

    WOW...what an AMAZING book collection you have! I have nowhere NEAR what you have. In fact, many of my books I've given away. That is, except for my Reiki, Reflexology, and Aromatherapy books. I keep those for reference. And yes, I do keep a book in my bathroom for when I go in to do a #2 - HA!!

    Love all your photos, M! Such a gifted photographer you are.

    Great post! Really enjoyed it! Have a wonderful week, neighbor!

    X

    P.S. that rain we got today really cooled things off a bit, didn't it? Ahhhhhhhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful post M! And one that I truly can relate to...I got the same letter in the mail. It made me very sad as I had spent countless hours...days even...just meandering around in the cafe and checking out different books. I will miss that so very much!! I do have a Kindle and when I first got it, I used it every day...now that I have switched to my iPad...I use the Kindle app every day and read on my iPad. The ebooks are still ridiculously expensive...something they had better fix or I'm going to start boycotting!! We don't have a B&N near us...so that will make me miss Border's even more. My bookshelves look exactly like yours...no messier!!

    Love the big black lab lounging in that one pic!!! Love your purple walls! Looks exactly the same color as my office wall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't buy new books very often, I tend to get them from the local library or buy second hand books from the market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love actual real books
    I don't have nor do I want one of the reader thingies

    I have a B&N near me and they are always busy so I hope that's a good sign

    I have books all over my place as well

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a Border's within walking distance and I used to go there when I was unemployed. I would take my lap top there and sit in the upstairs coffee section for a few hours while the kids were at school. I never bought books at full price there. For books, I either buy them on half.com or visit the library and come out with 20 books!

    My dad just got a Nook. He keeps trying to sell me on it. Apparently it's the only one that allows you to get books from the library. I'm old school and I don't think I'll be going with an e-reader thingy. I love the smell and feel of a book.

    It was only a matter of time before the big bookstores went under. There is simply too much on line competition and it's easier to order a book on line than it is to drive to a bookstore. Breen and I went to Borders last night thinking there would be great deals and we were so disappointed. Twenty percent off a $24.95 book was still no bargain for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also received that email from Borders and was quite sad. I love both B&N and Borders - a bookstore is like a mini-vacation to me.

    Your house looks like mine - books, books, books! No e-reader yet. I'm waiting for the tablets to come down a bit in price. I can't see spending money on something that only does one thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello everyone!!
    I'm so glad that you are all book lovers like I am.

    Olivia, I have gotten some things from Amazon but I don't order enough to pay the one flat fee. The last couple dvd's I ordered had low shipping, and other times I've spent the $25 and gotten it free. I agree that customer service is lacking in so many places today. At my local B&N there are a handful of employees who really know their stuff but certainly not all of them.

    Ron, our Barnes is usually quite crowded too. And their cafe does a good business. It's my home away from home!

    Jeanne, PURPLE is my FAV color!! I know some of the ebooks are cheaper or free but I have managed to find quite a few hardcover books on the clearance tables at bookstores so hopefully that will continue! I have an iPod, that's about it. Music only.

    Akelamalu, I have a library a few blocks from my house but I haven't been there for a book in many years. I still prefer sitting in the cafe of the bookstores. The quiet of a library is sometimes toooo quiet.

    Dianne, my hubby said that he might like to get one of the readers. I have no idea why, he doesn't read all that often. But maybe he just doesn't want me giving him grief for leaving the paperbacks in the bathroom. LOL

    Jane, yes, some of those hardcovers are way too expensive so I am a little selective but still will always prefer them to reading online or on an ereader.
    I'm still getting emails from Borders and the savings is a bit more but still not what you would think. I didn't manage to make it over there to check anything out. I wonder what the final day is.

    Nitebyrd, I'm sure the prices will come down as new versions come out.
    The Barnes close to me is one of my regular stops and most of the cafe employees know me by name. It's a wonderful thing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!