Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

What's in YOUR fridge??


When I was putting groceries away yesterday, for some strange reason I thought of an old blog post with a picture of the inside of our fridge.   What?  You want to see that one too?  Okay, sure, click here!   Since apparently I'll blog about anything, I took another photo.  So I noticed that I've changed yogurts.  Stonyfield Farm was very good, but Chobani.... OH, how I love thee!  I use plain for smoothies in our Ninja and the fruit varieties for when I'm too lazy to make a blender concoction. 
Don't you love that little bottle of champagne!?  What can I say, it gets a girl through the day.  ;)
Hmm... what else is in there?  Radishes.  The cashier rang me up for beets.  I guess they look similar, but if he knew me, (as if anyone can really know me) he'd know that I'd never buy beets.  Bleh.  Yuck.  Other than the color, there isn't anything I like about that veggie. 
Hey, I tried that herbal lavender mint water last night.  Repeat after me, dear ones:  "She is not a snob, she is NOT a snob!"   Okay, I am sometimes, but only about a very few things.  Yeah, I still do buy Himalayan Sea Salt.  And I'm sure there's a bottle of Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract in my baking drawer.  Alright, I do prefer organic ketchup too... what's your point???   I'm just not a big water drinker, so I need to find creative ways of getting more of it in. 

I'm curious and WANT TO KNOW:
How often do you foodshop?  Store or name brand?  Do you splurge or stick to a budget? 
If I were coming over for a meal, what's your specialty?  Would I be sopping up a good bowl of soup with homemade bread, politely declining the liver pate or smothering you with hugs for anything in dark chocolate?
 

17 comments:

  1. Hi, I popped over from Ron's place to say how much I liked your Infinity Pool picture. It was my favourite. I could feel the warmth when I looked at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie, that is so sweet, thank you. My husband and I went to Cancun for our 25th anniversary a few years ago and that was the view at the pool. We stayed at a spa hotel and got lots of pampering. It was blissful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg...your fridge is so beautifully organized!

    Hey, I also love that brand of yogurt. It's much more expensive than other brands, but it's sooo good and full of healthy bacteria. I ate it a lot when I was taking penicillin for my tooth abscess back in July.

    I shope like a European. I shop small amounts, twice a week - at Trader Joe's and Super Fresh.

    Have a FAB weekend, M!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron, once I decided to take a picture I'll admit to fixing a *few* things first. ;) A half a can of cat food got shoved to the back and an old package of dried out cheese got pushed under something. And whatever was spilled on the very bottom shelf was conveniently left out of the photo. haha
    If Wegmans were a little closer I might go there more often. Traffic out there can be annoying at different times of the day so I do bigger orders every few weeks and go local for the in between stuff.
    Happy weekend, neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for popping by my blog today.

    Am I allowed to admit that I do not like champagne? I've tried it a few times but it's not for me.

    What's in my fridge would probably be different to yours. It's an English fridge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god Mary...your fridge looks heavenly. Mine is screaming out to be filled right now. I'm a Wegman's junky even though we have to drive at least 35 minutes to get to either one. Sometimes I just stay local though. We also have a Trafer Joe's less than 10 minutes away. I have always wanted to try that yogurt. These days I go for the Activia with fiber...how very old person of me :) It drives Breen crazy (and me too) but I can NEVER do my shopping in one trip. I'm at the store maybe 3 times a week. When I get in the cooking/baking mode I could make trips daily depending on what the recipe calls for. You would hug me big time this weekend because the main staple of my menu all weekend long is going to be a red wine chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How often do you foodshop? Ummmm....no freaking way--that's himself's deal. I despise shopping. *shudder*

    Store or name brand? He's English and sticks with brand names--and expiration dates. If it says 'use by..' it's USED by or gone. *shaking head* He's anal like that.

    Do you splurge or stick to a budget? Budget? *laughing* He's English and wouldn't know a budget if it bit him in the arse. :-/

    If I were coming over for a meal, what's your specialty? Ohhhhhhh....I'm sure he'd whip up a good Iowa corn fed steak braised in a marinade and then baked on cast iron. I'd have the accompanying salad and pass on the steak. *shudder* Not a meat lover--but..... LOL I'm sure he'd love a good reason to whip up a steak for someone--c'mon over!
    But....I'm thinkin' you and he would be fighting over the dark chocolate. :-)

    I, on the other hand, admire your refrigerator for the contents being on the shelves. Yeah....notsomuch in this house. That's what they make 'bins' for inside the refrigerator, dontchaknow. *shaking head* He's so freakin' English.....

    AND I admired/drooled over/notsosecretly coveted the photo shot at Ron's.
    OMG--how could you ever reconcile yourself to even leave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chobani chobani chobani!!!!! And a bottle of what looks like champagne? You ROCK!

    So nice to meet you via Ron's blog!!! A friend of his is a friend of mine, for sure.

    As far as shopping? Well, our school district is horrible. So I have to pay for private Catholic school for three kids. That means, unfortunately, Bottom Dollar shopping, which makes Food Lion look like Hannaford. But I am not worried... when they make ALL THAT MONEY as adults and put me up in a great house and buy my food, I will go organic and special all the way. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Babs-beetle, champagne used to give me a headache, now I like it! But I don't drink toooo much of any alcohol regularly... only an occasional glass or two. The party days are long gone.

    Jane, I used to love Trader Joe's but our closest one is 20/25 mins away and now a couple areas of construction made that an unpleasant drive.
    I always manage to forget a few things even if I have a list with me.
    RED WINE CHOCOLATE CAKE!!! OH my!
    {{{{HUG}}}}
    Happy birthday weekend!

    Mel, I like some store brands, some name brands. And I tend to follow the expiration dates on food too. I'll go a little over on some things.
    I had steak tonight actually (well, last night since it's like 1 am now) but I could do with or without meat. Hub definitely wants meat. But seriously, I could have a bowl of noodles for dinner or cereal or just snacks. lol
    I'm happy you liked the photo at Ron's. That spa was glorious! But soooo expensive. I would go back in a hot minute if it were affordable. We splurged for our
    25th anniversary.

    Katherine, yes, that cute bottle of champagne was the perfect amount to have a little bit with dinner for two nights. Hub prefers beer or wine so when I found that smaller sized one for a few dollars it was MINE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi M! This is such a fun post!!! Damn, girl...you keep your fridge like that? Oh, I see...you do admit to fixing a few things...ha!! I'm exactly like you with the water...I'm bad at drinking it and try everything in my power...even herbal waters. I have not had good luck with them though. I do love Smart Water and Fiji Water...heaven knows why?? Have you spied that new BLACK Water? Now that is weird stuff. It takes...different. Not something I would buy again though. I stick mostly with name brands because I am particular. Ben is always trying to get me to eat more healthy. I like good old southern cooking. Or a good steak! Love Filet Mignon!! But, turkey burgers are good too. And pasta! I am not a good cook, so sadly...if you came to my house for dinner, we would probably have it catered! Or a pizza...perhaps we could order a pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  11. loved the pool shot at Ron's
    you caught the motion of the trees and the bird in flight!

    my fridge is shared and full of Hope's little cups which always make me smile

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so need to try that yogurt! I've recently reintroduced yogurt to my own fridge after a lengthy absence. I'm with you on beets. But I have a story about the best, absolute best, most flavorful vegetable I EVER had in my life one evening in Edinburgh (Scotland) and yes, it was pan-fried fresh beets. Deelishuss. Oh, before I forget, LOVE your pool photo at Ronnie's blog. Looks like a perfect place on the globe. Gorgeous! ~diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeanne, Wow, I just heard Blackwater mentioned on the Housewives of NJ show right after you left this comment. I hadn't heard of it before. But I looked it up and it's spring water with fulvic and humic acid and a bunch of minerals. I would try it, but I don't know if it's available in stores.
    Pizza would be fine! :)

    Dianne, thank you. I like it too! The hotel and beach were not crowded at all when we were there so it was great to not have a bunch of tourists in the shots. lol Alex loves bananas and always wants one when he visits.

    Diane, thanks! It was a special week for us ... 25 years. So we definitely splurged.
    I suppose if someone fixed a special dish of beets I would try them. I have a zillion cookbooks, I'm sure there's even a decent recipe in one of them that I *might* be willing to try... someday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do a 'big' shop once a week. Sometimes I stick to my shopping list but I'm a sucker for BOGOFs so more often than not I splurge!

    Love your photo of the infinity pool over at Ron's - I want to go there - now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Akelamalu, thanks sweetie! With all of you and MWM's wonderful trips you should just put Cancun on the list. What's the flight... hmmm... about 9 hours?? I'd be huddled in the corner of the plane crying and throwing up but it should be no problem for seasoned travelers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whelp, the wife and I buy our groceries every week from the grocer, then we head on over to Costo to pick up some great deals on bulk foods. I guess we like to splurge on fliet mignons and salmon. What we can't eat we vacuum pack and freeze for next week.

    All hail Costo! ;-) Heh....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Herman Turnip! Strangely, I don't even know if we have a Costco around here. If I was ever in one it was only once but I know others who love it there.
    My husband really digs having 'backup' stuff so I'm surprised that we don't have a membership for a bulk store. There must be 40 rolls of toilet paper in our basement right now but any minute he'll be reminding me to pick up more next time I shop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!