A short drive out of the 'burbs and we're at Philadelphia's Museum of Art. We've been exploring treasure-filled galleries there for many years. I have to say, it's quite exciting to live near such a wonderful collection of world-class art.
Philly's version of the Champs-Elysées ... The Benjamin Franklin Parkway. From a window of the art museum you can look down to City Hall.
Diana1892-94
Augustus Saint-Gaudens, American sculptor, 1848 - 1907
The Great Stair Hall
The long lines were for the Van Gogh exhibit. It was sold out so we didn't get to view that collection.
Jina Seated in Meditation
Mahavira, the Jain Savior
Made in Tamil Nadu, India, Asia
c. 11th century
Made in Tokyo, Japan, Asia
c. 1917
Cloister with Elements from the Abbey of Saint-Genis-des-Fontaines
Made in Roussillon, France, Europe
1270-80s, with medieval elements from southwestern France and modern additions
The Crucified Christ with the Virgin Mary, Saint John the Evangelist, and Angels with Instruments of the Passion
Made in Southern Netherlands (modern Belgium), Europe
c. 1460-90
The following are some of my favorite paintings on display at the museum:
Christ and the Virgin
c. 1430-35
Robert Campin, died 1444
At the Moulin Rouge: The Dance
1890
Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, French, 1864 - 1901
Portrait of Madame Renoir
c. 1885
Pierre-Auguste Renoir, French, 1841 - 1919
The Large Bathers
1884-87
Pierre-Auguste Renoir, French, 1841 - 1919
Liverpool from Wapping
c. 1875
John Atkinson Grimshaw, English, 1836 - 1893
The Moorish Chief
1878
Eduard Charlemont, Austrian, 1848 - 1906
Portal of the Green Mosque (Sentinel at the Sultan's Tomb)
c. 1870-1880
Jean-Léon Gérôme, French, 1824 - 1904
A Reading from Homer
1885
Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema, English (born Netherlands), 1836 - 1912
If you want to see additional pieces from the museum's collection, here's the link to an older post:
'Back to the City'

















Some beautiful works of art, thanks for sharing them.
ReplyDeleteM, what a GLORIOUS post!
ReplyDeleteAnd now you've got me wanting to visit the Philadelphia Art Museum! It's been YEARS since I've gone there. I visit the grounds often because it's such a wonderful area to take photos, but I haven't gone inside lately.
Wonderful photos!
Especially enjoyed the ones of Japan, because you KNOW my love for all things Asian!
Thanks so much for sharing, neighbor! Really enjoyed!
Have a maaaaaavelous week!
X
So beautiful, Mary! Makes me almost feel as though I've made a trip there myself. I really enjoy your photo posts. I still remember one of the first ones I read of your anniversary celebration in Mexico. This is another great one! xoO
ReplyDeleteAwesome pics! You took those? *high five*
ReplyDeleteIn my book, Toulouse-Lautrec is still the man!
Amazing. I would love to see these in person! What a rare treat. :-)
ReplyDeleteThese are wonderful photos M!!! I would love to visit that place!! My most favorite of all is the Japanese teahouse! I do love things that area asian! We have the Sonnenberg Gardens and mansion here in town...and they have a teahouse there which I just love too!
ReplyDeleteAaah Toulouse-Lautrec, love his work. Really interesting pictures, Mary. You're lucky to be so near the galleries. I don't live too far from our own art gallery but I confess that it's been ages since I went inside.
ReplyDeleteSome really great stuff here, and I really loved the ceremonial tea house because I love a lot about the Japanese culture since I spent some time in Japan. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely beautiful pictures!! I feel as if I was there! I love it when people are kind enough to take pics of the things they see and post it. It is really like being there!
ReplyDeleteSo many neat things in that museum. Have you seen the new Barnes? That sounds like it is worth a drive into the city also.
ReplyDelete