It's been SEVEN years since I started this blog.
Other than a few recent entries I've been gone since Halloween of last year. Must have been too stoned to post. Kidding! Really it's just been busy, as usual.
So let's start off with November. You're probably thinking... Is she serious!? We have to hear about 10 months of happenings. My FB peeps are totally rolling their eyes (I can see you, you know). It's gonna go fast. Blogging with pictures helps.
Honey had a fall at work. Huge tear of his rotator cuff. It's been 8 months since the surgery, doing well, but not back to where he was before. Long recovery. Went back to work on light duty a couple months ago though.
Love.love.love my birthday... celebrating with glass in hand. Sitting across from my lover. Then my husband picked me up and we went to dinner. Again, KIDDING! Ron took the photo, which he doesn't mind, it's being in them that he doesn't like.
Our 30th anniversary was a few days later. Because of Ron's injury, we didn't get to do much celebrating. We received this lovely box of chocolate dipped strawberries.
And we went to dinner at a Brazilian Steakhouse. Have you ever been to one? Wow! You can get some serious meat sweats at place like that. After you've gorged yourself on a delicious salad bar... waiters then start to bring large skewers of meat and slice pieces onto your plate. You can have a little or a LOT! You can send them away, then call them back, send them away, call them back. A wooden 'signal' sits on the table and when you want meat... turn the green side up. When you're on a break, keep it to red. Green/red/green/red. Then, after you've unbuttoned your pants, let out a few grunts and groans, tried to stuff in a little more but finally start to roll out of your chair ... lay the signal down and TAP OUT. Do it! TURN IT ON IT'S SIDE and STOP the MADNESS.
I don't think we ate again until Christmas. My favorite holiday... well, other than my birthday. Here's the tree in our living room.
One of my gifts was American Horror Story (Asylum) on DVD. Wild show.
The grands were dressed up and being sweet little darlings.
New Year's Eve. KABOOM!!! We had a few friends over, and just after midnight while out front banging on some pots, drinking, and hugging... we hear a THUD. WTF?!? Turned out to be 'celebratory gunfire' ... not from anyone in our party... but a neighborhood somewhere. HUGE bullet hole in our car. The bullet actually missed my girlfriend by maybe 10 feet. Scary!
We found a good body shop and the mechanic found the bullet. Crazy, huh?
In March we took a road trip. We went to the caverns in Shenandoah and Luray, VA. It was very interesting to see all the magnificent stalactites and stalagmites.
Picturesque scenery along the way.
The main reason we were traveling earlier this year was for something extremely SPECIAL. Some of you know a bit of Ron's history... he was adopted as a little toddler from Korea. Amazingly, he was reunited with his birth mom about 13 years ago and he's maintained a relationship with her and some of their family. Her husband was not Ron's biological father. They tried searching for him but nothing came of it. Then... one night while at the computer... Ron just decided to type the man's name in and a few key words and see what came up. Something did pop up this time. An article that had been written on him a couple years back because he was a Army Veteran. We emailed what he found to his mom and she confirmed that is was definitely him. Contact was made, he was welcoming of Ron and looking forward to meeting. The story is quite interesting in it's entirety, but no time today for that. Sorry.
And he has a sister from his birth dad, too. She's sweet and funny, we both adore her.
Ron has another 'mom' to add to the ever-growing collection. Sheesh... I have 3 mothers-in-law now. Each one extremely different, but all call Ron 'son'.
Ron's new sister presenting him and dad with a gift.
On that road trip we also got to see his birth mom, her brother and sister-in-law. This photo cracks me up because that song from Sesame Street comes to mind when I see it.... One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong. Haha! Yup, the pale girl with frizzy hair and a bright dye job.
It was a nice trip.
They hugged their goodbyes... but keep in touch on the phone all the time. Ron actually did get to see his dad again over 4th of July weekend. And he talks to his sister every.single.day. They have a lot of catching up to do.
Then a little something for me. Boy George played in Philadelphia and I was so freaking excited to get tickets!!! Standing room only... so we got there early for a good spot (second row from the stage). Yeah, baby! He was magnificent. His voice is deep and soulful. He did a few old songs, but has some very good new music so it was a pleasure to hear that. Thrills, kids, I tell ya it was a fun night.
Another wonderful thing that happened this year was our grandchildren *finally* got to meet their great-grandparents. Ron's birth mom and her husband don't live near us to allow many trips. He has a very busy work schedule, too. So, when it worked out for them to drive up, we were all extremely happy!
My son and his niece and nephew during dinner while the grandparents were still visiting.
Mother's Day is not an especially wonderful day for me emotionally. Ron sometimes tries extra hard to make the day nice. This year, it really was. We went to the Japanese Tea House and Garden in Philadelphia.
Another day trip we took was to Washington's Crossing State Park.
And yet another day's outing had us wandering around Batsto, one of our favorite places to visit.
Located in the Pine Barrens, part of the Wharton State Forest, Batsto Village is an historic site with more than forty sites and structures, including a mansion, an old grist mill, a post office and church (both still in operation). We sometimes just enjoy a walk down one of the trails.
Ron's parents here in NJ had some celebrating to do this year. His dad turned 80, his mom to be 80. They are doing very well and get around better than I do most days. Pfft... I might not really be kidding.
You know who this is.....
He's a beauty, that sweet Cody Jr.
Ron's parents were enjoying the new little guy when we were all at Ron's sister's house celebrating their 60th anniversary. Sixty years!! Quite a good reason to celebrate.
My daughter and me at the party.
What?? Another day trip?! Hey, if there are that many things to see and do in the area, one should take advantage. Fonthill Castle is located in Doylestown, Pa. Built in his own way, over a 4 year period with poured in place concrete, at a cost of under $14,000 ... Henry Mercer lived very well.
Saw this pretty butterfly in the small garden near the castle.
I could live there! Actually, Mercer gave life rights to his housekeeper and her husband. She was still giving tours until 1974 when she was in her 80s. Now the local historical society maintains it. It's so neat inside. All sorts of tile work, a very large collection of prints, books, books, and more books. Lots of other things to see in his collection, both here at the castle and at his museum a mile away. Shame the tour of Fonthill was only about an hour and no interior photography was allowed inside.
Ron's garden is growing strong this year. This was one of the first batches to come in.
Since then he's been busy making pickles with the awesome cucumbers.
We have tomatoes stacked up in a couple of places around the kitchen. Mater sammiches are delicious!! One of the best things about summer.
Blueberries are another. We took the grands to the fields and picked many pounds. Can't seem to get enough of those delightful berries. We ate what we picked and are now buying them in the grocery store.
Finally... something that hasn't appeared on FB yet. A photo of last night's dinner. Haha! Yeah, I'm one of those Facebookers. No theme there either but you will see food. We like a variety of cuisines. Some I try to make, some I buy ready to heat and eat. Indian food is a hit around here. I don't like anything tooooo hot, but some of the dishes really aren't. They're just very flavorful.
Happy 7th Blogiversary to me.
Thanks for stopping by over the years.















































What a fantastic update! I had no idea that Ron is half Korean.....from previous pictures, I thought he was Native American. He is very handsome......and I do love your hair, Mary!
ReplyDeleteThat is cool about meeting his birth father and sister. I enjoyed all your foodie pictures. My husband went to one of those meat restaurants when he was in South America once. He was amazed!
Thank you, Bijoux! He came over thru Pearl Buck's Welcome House. Even got to sit on her lap. A lot of people aren't sure what nationality he is, especially since it's half Korean and half a bunch of other stuff. lol His birth mom has been in the U.S. many years, and speaks English well, but is also very fluent in her native Korean and when she's talking to friends and family it's delightful to listen to them. I don't understand a thing though, other than a couple basic greetings... neither does Ron.
ReplyDeleteOH, the hair... thanks for the compliment, but it continues to make me crazy. As my hormones fluctuate so does it's growth. It was good and strong for awhile, now lately, it's been coming out again.
Happy Blogaversary to you, Mary! WOW, you do save up the news, don't you? I remember I met you here on this blog for one of your anniversaries down in Mexico and the most amazing vacation pictures! Celebrate! Few blogs make it 7 YEARS! YAY! xoO
ReplyDeleteHAPPY SEVEN YEAR BLOGIVERSARY, MARY!!!
ReplyDeleteCheers!
You and I have been blogging for almost the same amount of time. It'll be 7 years for me next month.
Great selection of photographs! Those chocolate dipped strawberries look BEYOND delicious. And a clever idea to have them sent as a dozen roses!
Beautiful photograph of the grands. You can FEEL the love!
"We went to the caverns in Shenandoah and Luray, VA. It was very interesting to see all the magnificent stalactites and stalagmites."
Okay, that is so cool! My favorite shot is the third one down because of the reflection in the water. Great capture!
And what wonderful photographs of the family reunion. I bet it was quite emotional and beautiful.
" Boy George played in Philadelphia and I was so freaking excited to get tickets!!!"
OMG...I had no idea Boy George was here. I love him. And so does my brother. We both enjoy not only his voice, but also his style of music. God, hearing his songs transports me back to the 80's. GOOD TIMES!
And please let me know where that Japanese Tea House and Garden are in Philly. You know how much I adore anything Japanese. It's looks so beautiful!
"Fonthill Castle is located in Doylestown, Pa. Built in his own way, over a 4 year period with poured in place concrete, at a cost of under $14,000 ... Henry Mercer lived very well."
I was actually there when I was a kid and still living in the Bucks County area. In fact, I visited a couple of times. It's gorgeous!
Beautiful photo of the butterfly!
Thanks for sharing this update post, my friend. Thoroughly enjoyed!
Have a great rest of your week!
X
First of all, thank you, thank you, for the wealth of comments on my blog. You made me smile with some of them.
ReplyDeleteSecondly, what a fantastic post this one is. I really enjoyed reading it.
Bad news about Ron's injury, I do hope full recovery doesn't take too long.
Belated birthday greetings to you.
I'm one of those who hates having photograph taken. In fact, I would pay anyone not to use their camera when I'm around ... just in case... lol.
Wow, I wouldn't mind tasting those choccy dipped strawberries. They look GORGEOUS. Right now I wouldn't mind a bit of that Brazilian madness ... yes ma'am
Love the picture of the grands... they look so sweet.
Guns are dangerous but you don't need me to tell you that. Glad you were safe and only the car was injured.
Loved that Ron made contact with his Dad. Now that is super news. I have recently found my two missing and grown grandchildren, so I know how Ron must be feeling.
I don't think I covered everything so I'll say again what a fabulous post this was/is. Thank you.
Those strawberries look delicious!!! I love the way you did this. I think nothing tells a story better than pictures.
ReplyDeleteHappy blogversary m'deario!
ReplyDeleteI so loved reading your year in brief and the photos. The photo of you on your birthday is lovely as are you! x
Happy belated anniversary!!! What an awesome post! I loved every photo, every word.
ReplyDeleteHappy blogiversary! And holy crudness a lot has happened with you! Such a great update catching up and finding out whats been going on. Glad you are back in the blog world!
ReplyDeleteOlivia, ah, yes, LeBlanc Spa resort.... that was a wonderful trip. I've actually been looking for somewhere to go later this year and out of curiosity I did a price check for that place. Woweee!! The prices are still high. Out of our range this time for sure. Actually, I'd prefer to go elsewhere anyway. Although, it's the #1 rated hotel in Cancun. We have some nice memories and photos. :)
ReplyDeleteI remember OTV!! You're blog was good. Do you think you'll ever get back to it?
Ron, thank you! I JUST made chocolate covered strawberries yesterday. Sooo good!
Shofuso is at Horticultural and Lansdowne Drives in the Fairmount Park section. I don't think they are open on Monday and Tuesday and only weekends in October. Definitely a nice place to visit. I'm sure you'll love it.
Enjoy the weekend, my friend.
Valerie, you're very welcome. I get so behind that I have to do some power reading and commenting at times. We had a gift card to the Brazilian restaurant and went recently. Rolled on out of there... again. It's good, but too much food for one sitting. We managed though. ;)
How wonderful that you found your two grandchildren!!! It is a good feeling, that's for sure.
Stephanie, I have always enjoyed taking photos. Sharing them on FB and my blog helps too because I'm not a very good writer. Pictures tell a good story. Just made choco dipped strawberries last night! Yummy!
Akelamalu, thanks much! I'll be by soon because I know I'm missing some updates of yours. The trips you and MWM have taken are all so interesting and different. It's wonderful that you are able to travel like that. Wish my motion trouble would go away! lol
Heartinhand, thanks, we're almost at 31 now! Woot! Glad you enjoy the post. I had no idea how to catch everyone up from last year. The photos surely helped, less to write! I have many thousands of them on Picasa so I don't know why I'm not here more often.
Cestlavie, thanks hon! I'd like to say I'm back for good. Ah, too many distractions going on all around me to promise that. lol I have always liked taking pictures... wayyyy back when I had an instant Polaroid, then used many disposable ones, and now just one little pocket camera that I have handy most of the time. I do own a little bigger Cannon PowerShot but the settings confuse me. Eh, so many things do anymore.