It was this time last year that I took a hiatus from blogging, although I never really planned to... it just sort of happened. I'm trying to not do a repeat, but I admit to that being hard. From a little before Halloween until the New Year... it's just a very busy time for us. For many though, right? Maybe because we have extra occasions to celebrate (birthdays and our anniversary!) that this time of year feels more rushed?
We weren't going to attend our daughter's Halloween party, then we were, then we weren't.... finally threw some things together and went. Sadly, the last few times we've attended costume parties, we wore things we actually wear, or used to anyway.
Our daughter and son-in-law are BIG into Halloween... they decorate their whole house. Assorted glow in the dark items, animatronic things, posters, skeletons, ghouls, sounds, etc. etc. It was a fun night!
All grown up, but my kids are still so cute. :)
Son-in-law's costume
The following weekend was trick-or-treating in our town and the grand darlings came dressed and ready to have fun. I got A & S glow-in-the-dark necklaces, crackers and cheese snacks, and a couple other things. They visited some other family, collected candy, and enjoyed the day.
CJ our sweet little pirate.The first occasion of the month to celebrate...
Ron's mom turned 80! The family took her out to dinner and someone our niece knows did the cake. Since his mom does beautiful crochet work we went with a theme cake for something different this year.
My latest craft ... jeweled utensils! Years ago we were given a decorated spoon and fancy bowl as a gift for our anniversary. I've seen them online at different times and for certain holidays and think they are so nice. Very festive. Since I sometimes think having an extra item at craft fairs (because everyone and their grandmother makes jewelry) would be helpful for sales, I came up with these. I might put a few of them in my store online, too.
In addition to other birthdays, our anniversary, and Thanksgiving... I'm turning FIFTY soon... what!??! I don't even want to talk about that right now. Still trying to figure out what we're doing to celebrate.
In the meantime, I've got much cleaning to do, visiting with a friend today for lunch, a shopping list to tackle, a jewelry party to plan, but I'll sure try to visit each of your blogs soon. Hope you're all happy and well.












My sister and her husband go all out for Halloween so it is a mystery to me why I hate it so much.
ReplyDeleteI bet your mom was thrilled with her cake! Too nice to eat. :-)
Jeweled utensils! What a great idea!
PS- I love your blog and miss it when you don't blog for a while. ;-)
Mary, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE yours and Ron's Halloween costumes! They're brilliant!
ReplyDeleteAnd I smiled so much reading about how your daughter and SIL are so into Halloween and think it's great that they go all out! I bet you had so much fun!
What great costumes too!
Many of my blogging friends who live in Europe can't get over how much we celebrate Halloween in the States because to them it's no big deal.
Your grandson's costume is ADORABLE!
And where did you have that cake made for your Mom? is't phenomenal!
"My latest craft ... jeweled utensils!"
Truly, my friend, they are faaaaaaaaaabulous! You are so creative! I love them all, but the second photograph (of the greenish colored stones) are my favorites.
Well done!
And you're gonna love turning FIFTY. You and I are about 10 years apart because I just turned fifty-nine, so next year it's SIXTY for me!!!
Have a super week, neighbor!
X
I would have never known that was you! Fabulous costume!
ReplyDeleteYou should sell those jeweled cake knives at bridal shows!
Fabulous post and fabulous outfit, Mary. Where do you get your ideas from?
ReplyDeleteI'm one of those Ron referred to who don't do a whole lot (if anything) for Halloween so I read all the posts about it with amazement. As for the children's outfit - they're wonderful, and I adore the Little Pirate.
Whoever designed that cake should be feeling very proud.... it looks great. I imagine your Mom was thrilled with it.
Love the jeweled utensils, they would make really fabulous wedding presents.
It's lovely to see you back blogging but we all understand pressure on our time. Just don't desert us altogether 'cos we would miss you LOTS.
Hey, Mary, it sure looks like you had a great time!
ReplyDeleteThe grand darlings look adorable and the jeweled utensils are fabulous!
And don't worry about hitting 50. I did it years ago and it didn't hurt a bit...well, maybe a little bit.
Take care!
Okay. Your son-in-law's costume is uber scary! Very, very creepy. You and Ron looked amazing - too funny!
ReplyDeleteHope Ron's mom enjoyed her cake, the baker is talented!
Love, love, love your utensils!
Birdie, as with all holidays, some celebrate, some don't. While talking to a relative the other day I was almost afraid to mention Halloween because she is so devoutly religious that I thought it would be a real no-no to celebrate, but I shared about the kids getting dressed up being in the parade and the trick-or-treaters and she told me that her church sometimes do religious dressing up... the pastor would be in Monk clothing, someone else a Rabbi, etc. They do a Fall celebration on or near the day, so that's cool. To each his own. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for loving my blog and missing me. xo
Ron, this year my neighbor even made lasagna and bought a Halloween cake decorated like a pumpkin and I took salad, brushetta, and garlic bread over. We ate and drank and gave out candy. What a fun night! Ron came over after work, too.
I think it was a friend of our niece that made the cake. I tried to get someone I know to do it, she does excellent theme cakes, too, but she was not available. They are popular!
Woo Hoo, SIXTY for you next year!! You just get better with age, my friend. It will be a great year.
Bijoux, we won best costumes, but probably just because our daughter and SIL threw the party. LOL I have a big bottle of hemp oil in the fridge, it went on my hair to purposely make it greasy, but since it felt soft the next day after I washed it out I think I'll use it more often.
I have thought about doing a few bridal things but space at bridal fairs are probably pretty expensive so maybe I'll start with just dedicating a small table of assorted items at local craft fairs and see how that goes.
Valerie, the ideas came from probably just not wanting to spend much money on a costume. LOL Last year, you remember, we were hippies and I bought very little for them too. I still wear most of what I had on, minus the flower in the hair and the headband. And Ron, he wears the tye dyed shirt often. I love it on him.
I'll sure try to hang around Blogland! I'd miss you all so much too!! xo
Rob, okay, I won't worry about it. The aches and pains have been here for a little while anyway so I'll just add an extra Advil to the regime and keep going! Thanks, the grands are sweet and I'm having fun jeweling up things.
Nitebyrd, thank you darling. Maybe I'll make one to use for my birthday cake!
Yes, Cody's costume was creepy. It was a good time. They buy a few items on clearance each year and put away for the following year's decor. Even the basement was completely done up.
Awesome costumes! I went as a ninja turtle this year mostly because I had the backpack (shell) so I figured why not use it? I also love those jeweled utensils! That would be a great gift idea!
ReplyDelete