Pages

Monday, February 16, 2015

Tibetan Singing Bowl

Ron's presented me many gifts over the years for assorted holidays.  For Valentine's day he's given more traditional gifts like jewelry, chocolate, and flowers some years, but occasionally he's surprised me with something odd.... like an iguana.  'Cupid' grew and grew until we  finally gave him to someone who had other iguanas and more space.  One year he even got a small heart tattooed on his chest with my name in it.  Nothing says love like getting permanent ink jammed violently into your soft flesh with needles going about 2,000 times a minute, right?  ha!   
This year, he got me a very old (18th or 19th century) Tibetan Singing Bowl.  I was supposed to pick one out for my birthday about 3 months ago but never got around to making a final decision.  He doesn't forget things so easily.  Instead of asking me again to decide on something and hear me say... okay, sure... yes.... and then get nothing, he just found one of the websites I'd been looking at and ordered one.  Done.  
I love it!  The sound is quite nice.  You can strike it like a bell, or play the rim of it in a circular motion.  It you go too fast, it rattles, and that doesn't sound very good.  Because it can be used in meditation, you must listen to the sound it produces and find the right pace and pressure.  It shows you how it wants to be played.  


What's the most unique or favorite gift you've ever received, from anyone, for any holiday or reason?


19 comments:

  1. "This year, he got me a very old (18th or 19th century) Tibetan Singing Bowl."

    Mary, what a BEAUTIFUL gift! And I absolutely love the photograph you took of it!!!

    I adore Tibetan Singing Bowls and used them a few times. The sound they make is so amazing because it vibrates within every fiber of my being. Their sound is VERY powerful and healing.

    I think the most unique and thoughtful gift I received was from a friend who bought me a Buddha statue for my birthday. I collect them and have them placed all around my apartment because they calm and center me.

    I'm not a practicing Buddhist, but I believe a lot of their philosophies.

    Have a great week, my friend!

    X

    P.S. Btw, I tried the wine you suggested (Apothic CRUSH) and loved it! Thanks for the recommendation!



    ReplyDelete
  2. Tibetan Singing Bowls? I never heard of them before but I'm sure I would love one if someone were to buy it for me. I think your Ron is great and I wonder how many men would go to those lengths for their wives?

    How wonderful actually to get Valentines Day gifts at all, I don't think I ever had one. That's not to say himself doesn't care - he just shows it in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat gift! I'm not sure I've ever heard of such a thing.

    My husband has given me some really cute necklaces based on animals I love. I have a diamond penguin necklace and a silver weiner dog necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous gift. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool gift. I've never gotten anything that unique as a gift

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron, I was feeling a little down that day... he suggested we go visit the grands. He had it sent to my daughter's house so she said to him that he should give it to me early to bring up my mood. It sure did. I wasn't expecting it at all. We don't necessarily celebrate everything every year. But given the opportunity, he'll sneak something in. haha
    There was a store on South St. (Garland of Letters) that had some but none spoke to me that day. I got other things... a couple stones and a couple Reiki books. Have you ever been in that store?? Nice!
    I have assorted Buddhas around here, too. :)
    Glad you liked the wine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valerie, there are those who dislike Valentine's day just because of it's commerciality. Even going out to dinner, IF you can get in most places, have special menus that are more expensive. I called a couple of places that I had gift cards left from my birthday/Christmas and neither place had anything available until late at night. We found another restaurant we like that was busy, but not too much that we couldn't get a table. I understand those who just feel that if you're in a loving relationship then V day is just another day. But then I also know people who were married on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bijoux, well now you have! Google a video of one or a group of them being played. The sounds are interesting.
    Animal necklaces! That's awesome! I just saw on someone's FB page a bracelet with silver dog charms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birdie, Ron has certainly given me some interesting gifts.... a telescope many years ago, a past life regression with a hypnotist, etc. LOL
    I don't think he'd heard of a Tibetan Singing Bowl before I mentioned them around my birthday last year. Not he does and he plays it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ann, I guess I'm just very quirky and he goes with that as much as possible. lol I wanted Himalayan Salt Lamps for my birthday and had been looking at some but, again, it takes me so long to make a decision that my daughter actually ordered me a set and saved me the trouble of narrowing it down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is an absolutely awesome Valentines gift! I think so far my favorite gift was a few years ago a boyfriend of mine bought me a first edition Emily Dickinson book. I absolutely love it and I know it mustve been tough to find!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shae, wow, a first edition of ED. That's a very unique and thoughtful gift! I'm sure you treasure it.
    My husband is hard to buy for. He usually just gets the few things he's interested in as he wants them during the year so my gifts to him are rather boring... candy, maybe a movie. He asked for socks last Christmas. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually, I think it was underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome gift. Nice job, Ron. One of my favorite gifts was my wife - girlfriend at the time - got me a bar table and chairs from a bar that had gone out of business. It was really cool but the coolest was that she actually surprised me by leading me to believe it was already sold so when I walked into my apartment one day I was totally surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a unique gift, for sure! How creative. I don't think I've ever been given anything all that unique as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr. Shife, thanks, I like it a lot. And what a wonderful surprise you got. THAT was a cool gift. Bet you had some nice drinks and talks at that table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stephanie, he only got it for me because I had said that I liked them. It's probably not something he would have really figured out all on his own. Well, okay, maybe...? lol He still says he can't buy me the right jewelry because he never goes with anything odd enough. His gifts of jewelry have been lovely over the years, but the bigger, gaudier stuff I have to pick out. haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, a fabulous gift, Mary! My aunt has a Tibetan singing bowl and I love the sounds it makes--so soothing!

    As far as my favorite gift, it's hard to say. I treasure just about anything my mother ever gave me since it keeps me connected to her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rob, thank you, I'm very excited about it and am looking forward to playing it more often.
    Oh, I understand that all gifts from your mom would be treasured forever. I just thought of my mom the other day regarding a gift. Well, actually it was on Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras) because she had gone to New Orleans many, many years ago and got me a jester mask as a gift. It was on the wall for a few years but eventually I put it away. I might have to get it back out again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!