I've seen mermaids on some blogs since being back and they reminded me of my costume last year. You know I like to make as many things as possible for our Halloween dress up so I didn't wear a traditional skin tight mermaid costume. I wore a green shirt with a white octopus print, white pants and attached a bunch of accessories for the rest. You can't see my shoes, but they were an old pair of canvas sandals that I painted and attached shells and moss. The net attached to my shirt has little things hanging on it... a mini mermaid doll, snakes, starfish, etc. The tail part was made with pieces of elastic with tulle and ribbons tied to it. I pulled knee highs over my hands/arms for webbed fingers and used glow sticks for jewelry. I even used theatrical glue to attach shells to my face and got the look of scales on my face and arms by dabbing makeup on a net for the pattern.
Ron was cloudy with a chance of rain. Haha! Even had a squirt bottle for those he wanted to rain on. ;) His costume was easier to put together...lots of pillow fluff glued onto a blue t-shirt and hat and some white powder on his face and beard. I did make some of the clouds in the shape of things, can't remember them now though.
I went all out with my trident.... the base is cardboard that I cut, wrapped with tin foil, painted and decorated.
And my crown... that was a a good bit of work! Started with a kid's crown from a dollar store and then added some combs and lots of extra things. It was so heavy that it fell back on my head a bit so was hard to see in the pictures.
My nephew won best costume for Beetlejuice and I came in second. We all had fun.
In keeping with the ocean theme....
here are some new jewelry pieces I've been creating. Starting with a seashell, then either just wrapping with wire and keeping them natural or coloring them with alcohol inks. The inked ones are glazed. Some are decorated with beads. Ron bought me a drill, so sometimes I make a hole for the bail, other ones are wire wrapped. I'm getting good feedback on them and sales have started. Yay!





That necklace is really pretty. I've noticed long, dangling necklaces are really popular right now. Aren't they sexy?
ReplyDeleteYour costume is incredible!
Your mermaid costume is great. The cloudy with a chance of rain is a hoot. What a clever idea. Love the squirt bottle part to sprinkle on people...lol
ReplyDeleteLOVE the shells. Those are really pretty
*applause*
ReplyDeleteBRAVO, Mary! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your mermaid costume!!!!!! How clever you are! I clicked to enlarge the photos so that I could see them up close. You did an AMAZING job putting that costume together. Your attention to detail was incredible! The trident and crown were stunning!
I also LOVE Ron's costume as well. "Ron was cloudy with a chance of rain. Haha! Even had a squirt bottle for those he wanted to rain on." HAHAHAHAHAHA! OMG...that was GENIUS!
Love your nephew's Beetlejuice costume. Flawless!
And it's so great to see your jewelry again. It's FANTABULOUS! You are such a talented and creative person in so many different ways. You're such an inspiration, my friend!
Oh how I wish I was as creative as you, Mary. Love your costume and Ron's too, and it's good to see you are still creating jewelry as well. You are sooo talented.
ReplyDeleteBijoux, yes, I love them and the danglier the better. Of course, I'm never really up on what's in or out but always hope for the best with things I create. :)
ReplyDeleteAnn, thank you. It was fun to put together. I found the idea for cloudy and rain online. Pinterest, probably. So many good ideas out there and then you can always tweak something to go with what you have or can manage.
Ron, *taking a deep bow* I thank you for those kind words. :) I live on Pinterest, so many things to spark creativity there. I use others ideas more than they use mine. We just gave someone money for a gift and since we were invited to a bbq for the occasion I found a neat idea online ... a salad bowl filled with assorted dollars... ones, fives, etc.. some folded up, some crinkled, and they were in the bowl with shredding you buy for gift baskets and bags... all green, some shiny, some not. Written on the gift tag was 'MIXED GREEN$' with a $ for the S in greens. Isn't that fun! So I put one of those plastic bowl covers on it, and gave a pair of salad tongs too. We didn't end up being able to make the bbq, so it didn't go over as big as it would have at the actual party...but a bowl full of money... who wouldn't like that any time! ha!
Valerie, as you know, we do enjoy Halloween around here so it's always fun to get creative. Already thinking of this years costumes! The jewelry is a joy to make. :)
Nice outfit, Mary! Most creative!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Rob. We still try to have some holiday fun!
ReplyDeleteImpressive all the way around. Great costumes and great jewelry. I really did like all the costumes but Ron's made me chuckle to myself as I could see me doing something like that. Take care.
ReplyDeleteVery creative costumes! You guys put a lot of work into them and it really paid off.
ReplyDeleteHalloween will be here soon enough...the yr is moving right along for me. Very cool costume. Love the head dress.
ReplyDeleteMr. Shife, thank you! We have fun with Halloween, and can hardly believe another one is almost here.
ReplyDeleteSecret Agent Woman, for many years we didn't bother with Halloween but for maybe 4-5 now we've been getting into it.
Pam, you're right... it's coming up quick. I have some pictures saved on Pinterest so maybe we'll come up with something cool this year, too. Thanks for stopping by!
Hello CrystalChick. Enjoy your weekend.
ReplyDeleteHello Mr. Shife! Thanks. Hope yours was nice as well.
ReplyDelete