Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

The RED boudoir!

You thought the title sounded sexy and intriguing, right!?  Nah, just more projects ....

Could you just cringe at this old furniture.  It's around 30 years old, but still in decent shape.  I'd rather use some savings on new carpets and transform the dressers with paint. The hutch mirror did have to go.  We tried to donate it, but no one else wanted it either and it ended up in the trash truck.  

Wasn't sure where it was going... 


but something usually comes to mind eventually...

Replacing hardware is expensive, so I kept the originals and used colorful metal patinas on them.

An old pack of napkins turned out to work pretty well for decorating the top.  I've never been very good with decoupaging, but since most of my dresser was going to be covered with stuff anyway, why not use the cutout poppies for added color.  If it peels in some spots no worries, it'll then have an aged look.  ;)  
 Ron's dresser.

Since this photo I've painted the bottom two drawers black, and starting sealing them with clear glaze. 


So maybe one or two of you have seen our bedroom before... ooh, la la!  Just via my blog, of course! ;)  Except for some dust, larger clothes in the closet, and freshly painted furniture, it hasn't changed too much.  Okay, confession ... it takes forever to fix the comforter/shams/pillows.  Usually, we sleep with mismatched pillows/sheets and various fleece blankets.  The decorative set is only used maybe 5 times a year?  Shh, let's pretend it looks nice all the time.  

I did just recently hang up those lacquered panels.  We've had them for years... but things take a while around here.  

Even though borders aren't popular anymore, until this one loses adhesion and falls off, it's staying.  You know my adoration of anything Geisha!


I'm enjoying my dresser area so much more now!  

This past Sunday, while Ron was running errands and I was waiting for paint to dry, it seemed like a nice idea to light candles, make chai tea, and watch a show on t.v.  


While cleaning out a candle drawer (there are actually 2 sideboard drawers in our dining room dedicated to candles/holders) I came across these neat little bottles from the Bombay company.  It had been a while since they were filled with lamp oil, so had to fix and refit the wicks and then test them on a metal tray on the stove to make sure they were still okay before using on my dresser.  Aren't they lovely?  


That wall where the hutch was is not quite finished.  I've been buying little shelves/sconces from sellers on Facebook, which have to be cleaned/painted.  And I need a small mirror too, so browsing the marketplace continues.  I've found neat stuff there.  The seller of one of the sconces also had a floral pitcher that seemed nice for flowers.  I offered her $6 for both and she agreed.  The sconce is pretty heavy, 3 or 4 lbs.  Oh, Ron's already aware there will probably be more holes to patch if I get too impatient and hang it before he gets time to measure and do it properly.  We've been there before. 


A whole post on flower photos is coming soon, for now just a sample.  


Hope you're all having a healthy and good week!!  xo  

16 comments:

  1. Your dresser area does look nice now! I love the candles and ambience. But, call me crazy, I think changing hardware is a cheap way to update furniture and cabinets! Well, cheaper than replacing the furniture and cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, that's one of the best things about older furniture, it was made so much better than the crap today that it lasts forever! My mother had a china cabinet that she kept since the mid-60's when she and my father first bought and it still looked brand new!

    LOVE the way you gave it a face lift. The detail is beautiful. So creative you are!

    Being an admirer of anything Japanese (just like you) I love the Geisha border!!!!

    The finished product lit with candles looks stunning.

    Okay, those bottles you purchased from Bombay Company are faaaaaaabulous! They almost look like vintage perfume bottles with wicks in them.

    Well done, my friend! Hope you're having a great week. The weather here has been really nice, so I've been spending my afternoons in the park reading, listening to music, and soaking up some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been busy! Well we have different tastes as I like glass and chrome and ultra modern stuff (not that we have it in this house) but I appreciate all different looks. What I don't like very much, is no look. I can see why you are enjoying your dresser so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, nice to meet you from a first-time visitor. This is a reciprocal visit to say THANKS for the visit and comment on my blog post today. I like that you stopped in from Valerie and Ron's blog as I so enjoy reading both of theirs (trust me, and I don't say that about every blog I read for various reasons).

    I agree with Ron's earlier comment that older furniture was made so well. But today no one wants what my friend calls "brown furniture" as it was always that color in various shades. That said, your decision to go black, ditch the hutch (it really had to go), and redo the handles worked so well and now you can spend money on other things.

    Since I like to get to know a fellow blogger a bit, I read some earlier posts and see that you've been blogging a bit longer. And, we have some things in common! I love the color purple and amethyst is my birthstone. I only like mushrooms and onions if sautéed and served with something else (but never liver). I color my hair and have no shame about not wanting to "go gray" as I was prematurely doing that in my 30s and 40 decades later it's still a no-go. My husband Patrick (Grenville on the blog) is my best friend and biggest supporter, always. Also, we are natives of NJ; lived on the VA eastern shore for 12 years (very small town of 500 pop.) and now reside in a repurposed mill apt in NH.

    If it's OK with you, I would like to add your blog to my sidebar which makes it easier for me to revisit and others may stop in as well 😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work. You did a great job and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like swapping out hardware on things - makes such a difference. I also change out buttons on shirts and sweaters.

    You room looks very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bijoux, hey crazy! LOL Well, you said to! ha Our kitchen cabinet handles have been replaced ...but those cabinets came with the house. 1924.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ron, thanks as always for your sweet comments and compliments! We have my aunt's china cabinet. I don't really love it, other than it belonged to family, so eventually it's going to be replaced or painted. Speaking of Geisha's... just watched a video of a girl who went to a salon in Japan and got Geisha hair/makeup done and was put into a kimono and all the accessories and had her photos taken. I think in a follow up vid she said the cost was around $150.
    Question... what's sunshine?? haha I definitely need to get out more. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ann, thank you!! It was a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LL Cool Joe, glass, chrome, and modern in your other home I'm sure is a gorgeous look too! You're right... no look is not so interesting. To each their own. Being busy now with these projects does seem to be helping. I need a little more sunshine though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beatrice, hello again! And thank you for the kind reply! Poking around my blog could be fun, but since I just ramble on about any old thing... it could also get rather boring for you. LOL How wonderful you are NJ natives! We have family in Virginia and have visited the state a few times, but have not yet been to NH. I'm sure it's lovely, and a repurposed mill apartment sounds cool! YES, you're absolutely welcomed to add my blog to your sidebar... will do the same. I have many on there that don't seem to be blogging anymore. I come and go at times too, but eventually wander back. Some on my side bar haven't posted in 4-6 years so it's likely they have moved on for good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Mr. Shife! I am trying to hang out here more! I appreciate you stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Secret Agent Woman, it is cozy. Swapping buttons sounds so awesome... except I am not good at anything sewing related. I have sewn on a missing button occasionally, it usually goes on crooked. And have used iron on tape for hems... you must be cringing!... but that's about it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My goodness, Mary, you certainly have been busy!

    I love that dresser. I've got a wooden coffee table that I got for free nearly 30 years ago.

    The top needs to be refinished, but the rest of is solid as a rock. As soon as the COVID-19 thing is over, I'm getting take care of.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rob, thank you!! Yes, it's been my new fav thing! Hey, free furniture is always fun to get!! And all these years later, to give that coffee table a little makeover will let it be around for many more years.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!