Pages

Monday, May 11, 2020

Walls!

Mentioned in the last post was a ‘salon wall’ in our dining room.   For a long time I was under the impression we didn’t have much wall space.  Maybe because we have a lot of knickknacks that I thought putting extra things on the walls would make our bungalow style house look even more cluttered.  Then last year, our daughter gifted me a large diamond painting and where to put it seemed challenging.  Turns out, there was a space in the kitchen on the wall going upstairs that had a smaller picture, but ended up being perfect for a bigger one.    
So it could have been one too many times perusing Pinterest, or finally embracing my love of maximalism that made me just go for it!   Here’s some of our wall art… 

Even without a frame (haven't decided yet), it's a large piece (20x26)!  If you haven't heard of this craft before, it's done with a kit that includes tiny (2.5mm) resin pieces called 'diamonds' that get attached with an applicator pen to a color-coded adhesive flat canvas.  Completed, it makes a colorful mosaic painting.  My daughter has done many of them!  Knowing how much I enjoy Hindu art, and Lord Krishna in particular, she put this together for me.  

It's not for everyone but we like it.  

There are about 55 photos up now, with anywhere from 4-10 still to go.  This is my view when sitting at my computer.  Love it!

There were 4 switch plates like this when we moved in.  They are only plastic, but the shape is neat so we kept them and have painted them various times.  I used brass pieces from my jewelry-making kits to add extra decor to the wall.  Inside some of them are pennies that I painted.



The Buddha belonged to a friend.  When she moved and had to leave some items behind, I got it. The frame was all black, but recently I painted the front to go with a yarn art piece I made using part of a tree branch we found in Ron's dad's shed.  He used to carve wood and it might have been a piece he was going to use for something and never did.

I think hand-painted tole trays were popular back in the 50s or 60s.  This one hung in my childhood home.  It's been in our basement forever, don't think we've ever had it on the wall.  I liked it because it reminds me of my parent's kitchen, but it didn't seem to match anything here.  And it probably still doesn't, but since I'm embracing a 'more is more' theme lately... why not.

THIS!!  Ron painted it in his 9th grade art class.  The condition of it wasn't too bad for having been in an old attic for decades.  It's on the wall where his little desk is so he can enjoy it while doing paperwork.

The little wall between our colonnade and a window in our dining room got decorated too.  I did the painting, but it wasn't my design, merely followed a short video.  The dotted album is mine.   Out of view is a 2 shelf table with a 3 tiered tray ... all full of crystals and stones.

Wow, I posted last week AND this week!  Can I get a BOOYAH?!
And for any moms reading, hope you enjoyed a lovely Mother's Day!  xo



12 comments:

  1. Our last house was a colonial and we had a wall going up the stairs covered in pictures, similar to your wall, though none were smaller than 5x7. Our house now is considered Transitional and I've gone with a minimalist approach, so not much hanging on the walls. I love Ron's art class painting. It reminds me of a picture I painted when I took an oil class in my 20's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks great. I especailly like the wall with all the photographs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, several things:

    I LOVE the Hindu art piece you hung in your kitchen, it's stunning! I too love Hindu art.

    I LOVE the color of the walls in your kitchen. What a great color!

    I LOVE the 55 photo grouping! It looks like a picture puzzle. I like how you have a mixture of vintage images and more recent images.

    I LOVE the light switch plate! It doesn't look plastic at all, it looks like art deco vintage.

    I LOVE Ron's painting because as you know, Autumn is my favorite season.

    You and I share a love for all things Buddha and Geisha. I have a collection of Buddha statues along the bookcase wall of my apartment. I'm not a full fledged practicing Buddhist, however, I have studied it. Images and statues of Buddha give me such a wonderful sense of peace.

    Thanks so much for sharing this peek into your home. Enjoyed it!

    Have a great week! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to be a little more minimalist, although I like color. But the main thing is does looking at all that art bring you joy? It would like it does and so it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you get your BOOYAH?
    Keep it up.
    I think your art looks great.
    I will have to show Mrs. Shife your view from your computer because she wants to do something exactly like that in our hallway.
    Nicely done and thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bijoux, I like the ones on stairways! I'll probably add more to that area eventually. I love the shows about tiny house living and like how they utilize all the space in neat ways (under stair storage, etc.) but probably couldn't even condense down that far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Ann! It's been a fun project! I've always loved family photos and used to keep framed ones around, but never on a whole wall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ron, I LOVE that you LOVE so many of the items here and that we have some common interests. (((REIKI))) I'm sure I've posted it before, but the Krishna/Radha print in our living room is wonderful and I'll repost soon. Yes, totally art deco on the light plate. Wasn't sure how the whole grouping would look because of having so many frames (some I painted, some belonged to his parents) but it worked out. The picture on the top of my mom's (the largest one) just has a butterfly print in it now, but it will be for my son's wedding picture. They are engaged, so wanted to hold one space even though it's not until next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Secret Agent Woman, yes, it brings joy... until it's time to clean, then I wonder what could be let go of. LOL You do have nice colors in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr. Shife, got it, yes! ;) Thanks for the compliments. I hope your Mrs. enjoys a future photo wall project, Your family has many wonderful memories to choose from, narrowing down which ones to put up will be the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow and I thought my walls were cluttered with pictures! Very nice. I have heard of diamond paintings, and am waiting for one to arrive from China to give it a go. If I can do it, I will give it to my Granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LL Cool Joe, from what my daughter tells me, it's easy to get hooked on them. She sits for many hours placing those little pieces but finds it quite satisfying. I hope you enjoy it, and I think your granddaughter will love the gift.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!