Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Merry *belated* Christmas

OR... am I just super early for next year??  Hey, let's go with that!  ;) 

Our decorations stay up a while.  It takes me way too long to get everything festive around here, so I don't want to deal with packing it all away until sometime next month.  After weeks of shopping (although a good amount of it was done online), wrapping, baking, errands, etc. it's nice for the pressure to be off now.  And, since I was absolutely sobbing a few times over Christmas weekend for assorted reasons, these are now a few welcomed down days with moments of quiet enjoyment. 

Our Christmas Eve tradition for many years has been to have family over.  It's my favorite day of the year (or at least is tied with my birthday) so the gathering is special.   We have a gift exchange, and dinner is buffet style.  Last year, we had to adjust our plans a bit because of Covid and wanting to minimize risk.  A smaller gathering, we wore masks, and sent food home with our daughter/family rather than all eating together.  This year, we had planned to have everyone over for dinner/gifts... but then 4 people in our family got the virus right before Christmas.  So Plan B went into effect again.  It really was alright and we made the most of it.  Ron and I dropped the gifts off outside at our daughter's house, then came back home and our son-in-law called us on Facetime so we could watch each other opening everything.  Different for us, but fun.  Many families probably already do that for those who live far away from each other.   Later that night, his sister/bil brought their grand dog over and we visited out back.  I put a Christmas tablecloth on the patio coffee table, Ron plugged in an old lamp he had in the shed for extra light, we put out crackers and cheese, and had drinks while the dogs were running around the yard.  If it was any indication of what winter camping might be like, it wasn't going to be a new activity for me... but it was nice enough for an hour.  Weather hasn't been too crazy cold here yet.  

Here come the photos....

We try to get to Philadelphia for Christmas Village each year. 

We enjoy a bit of Christmas spirit in the city, but mainly go to get our yearly special ornaments (painted in the Ukraine), and a gift or two.  These were the ones I chose.


In Dilworth Plaza we saw an interesting Grinch.  He wouldn't look at you until you put a tip in his container.....

And then he gave you a big Grinchy greeting with photo opp.   

Ron usually puts all the strands of lights on our trees.  While I am particular about having clear lights, and making sure they are somewhat evenly placed... that wasn't what he was so frustrated with.  It just seems that every year we put lights away that were working, and then somewhere between one Christmas and the next, some of them decide to not light.  Maddening!

So to give him a little break, I did the lights on the bedroom tree...and went with pink decor this time.  It's usually red/gold. 

I put the lights on this tree in the kitchen.  I don't even remember ever having a tree in the kitchen, but wanted one this time.  

Most of the balls on this tree were from our previous visits to Christmas Village. 




My aromatherapy bowl needed a new diffuser, maybe last year, but it's working wonderfully again and I plug it in a lot! 

These large mugs of hot chocolate with whipped cream were a very enjoyable treat!

For quite a few years now, we try to watch 'A Christmas Carol' sometime during the season.  The version with Patrick Stewart and Joel Grey is our favorite.

One of my gifts from Ron was a lava lamp.  Cool, huh!?

Luna got her winter jacket before Christmas. 

With all the plants on the porch, I couldn't let them be without something festive! 

Grinch might look mean, but I think he secretly likes all the holiday happenings. 

I forgot to get a picture with ALL the gifts under and around the tree.  I found Grinch wrapping paper!! 


I baked a lot of cookies!  And there was an old bottle of cheap champagne in the fridge and I wondered if it was still any good.  It was.  No cookies were burnt as I sampled the bubbly. ;)

Lovely Luna got her own stocking with treats and toys inside.


I take a LOT of baths so the tub area gets quite needy.  Because it's hard enough for me to get in and out of my R&R space these days... we'll talk about my hip and additional hurties some other time... the chore of cleaning it belongs to Ron.  It's an old bathroom... maybe we should talk remodel soon?  Well, for now, he goes in with some muscle, unscrews all the jets, etc. and makes it nice again.  Where's my lavender salt soak??  I'm ready!
 
 
THIS!  I love our bedroom.  It's been red for many years.   Actually, it's an apricot color underneath and then a red glaze sponged on top, so it doesn't look this dark except at night.   I think fairy lights are wonderful and have them around the house.  The ones on this wall are battery operated and will blink or fade, etc.  I keep them on regular glow and have been leaving them on all night.

These are a fan favorite, butter cookies!   Just a little different than my aunt used to make (I don't roll dough into a log and coat with almonds) but the basic ingredients are the same. 
Chocolate crinkles.  Mmm!
We're not Buddhists, I just happen to have various Buddhas around the house.  This one was from a vendor at Christmas Village years ago.  Last year I put a Santa hat on it, this year some white silk poinsettias to go with the others in the dining room.  Usually one tree has a Buddha ornament on it, too.
 

 I had them counted at one point, but forget now how many trees are on this display. 

Facetime on the Eve!


One of the gifts we gave our granddaughter was a Baby Yoda light.  It changes color.

Our son and his fiance came for dinner the day after Christmas.  We don't usually set a formal table, and this one isn't really formal or fancy... but was the first time we used some of Ron's parents' china.  They had a large set, mostly for Thanksgiving dinners, but could no longer use many of their things after moving to assisted living so we took it but it's been on shelves upstairs ever since.  It felt bittersweet, but I'm glad we used it.  And will hopefully use it again sometime soon.  


It hasn't been one of the very best holiday seasons we've experienced.  There's been sadness, sickness, and death, but I guess that's every year really for many families.  We try to remember some good past memories, make a few new ones, and take it day to day as necessary.  This has been my view a few mornings this week.  My son gifted me a fragrant dried lavender/oak candle and the glow/scent is lovely.  The little things are big things!

May you all have much love, joy, and peace surrounding you in the new year!!!  
~Mary xoxo


14 comments:

  1. So much I can relate to in your post, Mary. I shed some tears here, too. I really miss my Dad at the holidays. And this year I was sad to not have my son here, but I’m glad he’s living his best life right now, even if it’s without me! Boo! We have multiple trees,too, and there always seems to be a light issue. We made do with red lights on our family room tree and truth be told, I thought it looked awful, but I didn’t say anything. I love your new ornaments this year. We didn’t have the cousin party again this year because of Covid. I know 10 people who’ve had it the past few weeks. It’s worse than ever here. Sigh. Hope 2022 is better for all of us! XO I’m always happy to see you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat this post was to read, Mary, in spite of the revised family visiting plans, Drat that you-know-what! I really like your Grinch tree and those ornaments you bought this year are beautiful. We were fortunate this holiday to be able to visit family in 3 states, even if it was done during the peak time of Christmas and in 10 days. We are grateful everyone is well and ourselves too. We also have several trees inside our apt if we include the pine cone, cork and pom pom ones I made last year, and there's also a small tree outside the door. One can never have TOO many Christmas trees. Sending best wishes for a better and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a few Christmases where tears were involved for various reasons.
    Those ornaments are gorgeous. Maybe a trip to Philadelphia should be planned for my future. All your trees looks wonderful and that Grinch tree is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, isn't it something how over the past two Christmases, we've had to adjust to a new way of celebrating Christmas day?

    " Ron and I dropped the gifts off outside at our daughter's house, then came back home and our son-in-law called us on Facetime so we could watch each other opening everything. Different for us, but fun."

    WOW, well done! Very creative. I had never heard of anyone doing that.

    OMG and it's so funny that you mentioned the Christmas Village and Dilworth Park because that's EXACTLY what I did last week and posted about it on my blog. Hey, I didn't notice the Grinch, tip, and photo opp. LOL!

    Yeah, don't you just love how when you bring the lights out from being stored away all year and discover that they don't light?!? I had that happen last year, so I had to go out and purchase another strand. That picture of Ron is HILARIOUS!!!

    You Christmas tree balls are just gorgeous! They look vintage.

    I mentioned a "lava lamp" to someone at work a few weeks ago and they had no idea what I was talking about. HA!

    The red wall in your bedroom is just faaabulous! And I love how you can see the reflection of the Christmas tree through the mirror!!!

    You and I have talked many times about not being Buddhists, but collecting Buddha statues because I do the same thing. I have them all over my studio apartment. I find them very calming and peaceful to look at.

    "We try to remember some good past memories, make a few new ones, and take it day to day as necessary. "

    A-MEN! I feel the same way.

    Beautiful post, my friend. Thanks so much for sharing. Wishing you and you family tons of joy, health and LOVE! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tour of your home was a pleasure. Happy Days to you both! -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the 2nd blogger that had a Grinch tree!!! And, I love the idea. Pretty bedroom wall color. Delicious looking cookies. I bet your Luna enjoyed getting a stocking for Christmas. Buddha with your white poinsettias is perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bijoux, the red lights I might actually like... but, I guess it depends on where the tree is and the decor, etc. Wow, hope everyone you know who's been sick is well again.
    Sending you love and a hug for missing your dad. Your son, too! Sorry he's not nearby, but glad he's doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beatrice P. Boyd, no, I don't think one can have too many trees. LOL Those from your travels were delightful!
    Grinch tree might be a fav of a few family/friends here. Oh my, how to top that next year... oops... THIS year. Wishing a happy 2022 to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ann, YES, a trip to Philadelphia would be fun. We've been many times and have always found something interesting to see/do.
    Sadly, yes, tears are a part of our lives. It's a little rougher during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ron, Ron got me the lava lamp because I shared that I was considering a Moroccan or Turkish style one...but couldn't decide. OMG, decisions decisions... terrible with them! So, he wasn't about to order the wrong thing and went with something else just to gift me a lamp for the theme and let me decide on the decorative one later. And I still have not. LOL

    We've been on Facetime quite often with each other, so it was fun.
    Thanks for the good wishes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stubblejumpers Cafe, thanks, Kate! Now there is a bunch of dust to deal with... won't be posting those pictures. haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hootin' Anni, Grinch was a fun tree to do. Glad I saw some online for the inspiration. Yes, the cookies were quite delicious. We were glad to gift some, too. The butter cookies seem to be everyone's favorite. And that's good because they are the easiest to make.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year!! So much awesomeness in your post, Mary. I love all of the photos that you shared. Your tree looks amazing and the ornaments are spectacular. I also loved seeing photos of Luna. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mr. Shife, thank you! Oh my, it is February already. Days fly by.
    Luna is a sweet little fur friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!