Happy New Year! I hope 2023 is good to all of us!!
Making resolutions at the beginning of a year isn't something I usually do. One of my Christmas gifts from Ron (maybe I need to make 'gifts' a blog post of its own) was a spiral notepad and pens. No, I won't be starting a journal of all my goals and how things are progressing. Maybe this will be my theme..
The only thing I've written in it so far is a little note on NYE. The last line ... "I will be kinder to myself in 2023!"
I tend to be quite critical, so it will be a good thing to work on.
Because I can always use something to talk about to try and get me back to blogging...
Here’s an example:
Whenever I’m asked to make something, (maybe for a gift with a theme or certain color) at first, I feel challenged. That’s fine, because it helps with creativity and gets me open to the whole process. I usually know if I’m able to do a thing or not and would decline if it were out of my range. Just because I work with canvas and paint, no, I can’t do a formal portrait of your grandmother in oils. 😒😂
This cute project was done in the fall of last year. The woman who contacted me to do it wanted to lift her daughter's spirits since she was going in for surgery. I was very happy to be asked. (They have other pieces of mine, too.)
At some point though… doubt and criticism crept in. Uh, do those colors work (she gave input when I asked while sending progress pics), is that shade ok? (yes, yes, she said it was just right) Voices in my head... OH, Mary, that blending looks horrible. 😖 Oh crap, those dots are too uneven. The stars aren't neat enough...etc. etc. etc. The woman was telling me she loved it and could hardly wait until it was finished, but I kept wanting to start over again. I didn’t, but had to talk myself through it, as usual. If I’m selling a canvas, it’s usually never priced for time. I spend a long time on it… HOURS!…from beginning to end. It would be ridiculous to start over. Not just from a financial standpoint, but also because I’ve made many of these type canvases and am used to my process of this particular style. So what's the critical chatter about? I'm never sure. While I did go thru the motions of starting a small business many years ago... name/tax i.d./website/banking, etc. it's actually more of a hobby that occasionally I make a little money from. Very casual. No one has ever told me they didn’t like something I gifted or sold them. Yet the voices in my head (ok, well, we all talk to ourselves, don't we??) give me a bit too much trouble.
If you’ve been following a while, you’ve seen this type of painting before. Here's what I believe are the good things: The size of the canvas is nice, 12x24. Won't take up a big space, but the longer length seemed right for the design. The crystals are probably my favorite part. They sparkle and make it all pop! It's a favorite character of the girl it was for, and she loved it.
Pictures of the process:
Sometimes I use online freebies for silhouettes. Here, I had a small one printed and then drew it larger on paper before cutting out to trace on the canvas.
Dot dot dot ...
Finished
I know, I know... it came out sweet. I do like it. I'm just reminded at different times of how hard I can be on myself and want to let that GO!
----------
So what about YOU? Are you a very confident type of person? If you feel nervous or doubt yourself, how do you move through it? Did you make resolutions for 2023?
That is really cool and I have not seen anything like it. It looks very tedious to me and I don’t think my hands are steady enough to do something like that. Are you a Lefty? Always the creative ones!
ReplyDeleteI’ve actually always been a very confident person. Even as a little kid, I was convinced everything I did would win a prize. Lol, not kidding! And even though I rarely won anything, it never got me down. I think my secret is that I always give my best effort, so maybe that gives me confidence? Oddly enough, my husband and kids are the same way.
Thank, Bijoux! Some sure do take awhile, but I can sometimes get into a good groove and enjoy the process if my head chatter isn't bugging me. Yes, I am a lefty! ;) I can also use my right hand for some things. Actually, I cut with my right and can't use scissors at all with my left. lol
DeleteHey, remember when bloggers used to give other blogger awards for the sidebar... you probably got lots of those! haha
Mary, I love the photo and words of Karen. LOL!!!
ReplyDeleteI don't do New Year resolutions. The only thing I do is make the intention to embrace any change in the upcoming year, and learn and grow from it.
As I've shared with you many times in our many years blogging together, you are so talented and creative in so many ways (in your home decor, photography, painting, greeting cards, etc.). Which, by the way, I still have the cards you sent me from years ago!
The piece you completed and shared here in this post is a perfect example! Like Tinkerbell, it's truly MAGICAL! So I'm not surprised that she loved it!
I think many artist and creative people tend to doubt themselves. I know that when I was a professional actor for so many years, I too would doubt myself. In fact, on opening night, I would become paralyized with fear.
But it taught me a lot. It taught me to walk through my doubts and fears, and do it anyway. I know this sounds odd, by fear taught me confidence.
Have a faaaaaaaaabulous Sunday, my friend! X
Oh, Karen (aka Anastasia Beaverhausen LOL) is a riot!!
DeleteChanges are inevitable, and you're doing it right... embrace, learn, and grow. I admire that!
Thanks for the compliments, and I'm really happy you still have the cards. I know a few others that saved them too. xo
I love what you did with it, Mary!
ReplyDeleteI can't say that personal confidence is something I lack -- but I bet that's the reason some people think I'm a know-it-all -- I don't say "It's just my opinion, but ..." and so on. Obviously whatever I say is "just" my opinion, so I'm not self-effacing enough to suggest my opinion may not be worthy. Even if it may not be!
Artistically I have no skills, no artistic talent. Even my stick figure, if you've seen it here or there as my avatar, would be embarrassing to some people. It doesn't embarrass me because it's not something I put any effort into and then failed. That might be different.
I don't second-guess myself when I write, either. I have no craft and am not trying to learn any. I just like doing it.
Even with my faults, I believe I'm fine as I am. Some people criticize me for that. They suggest I should strive to improve myself or be better or different than I am. But I don't; I just do what appeals to me, because it interests me. What can I say. I'm good enough! I could be more generous, more giving, more this, more that ... but screw it.
-Kate
Thank you, Kate! Yes, you are fine just as you are!! And believing that about yourself is a wonderful thing. 'They' don't matter. ;) And I do tend to think of writing as an art or craft and probably wish sometimes I knew more about it. Even without any training, some have such a nice flow to their posts. Mine, usually just rambling. Ah, so what! If we like doing whatever it is we're doing... we should just keep doing it!
DeleteLoved your art. How cool is that? Confidence, sometimes I have it and sometimes I don't. Just depends. Last week or so when I decided to jump back into the job market, I didn't have it because I felt insecure about my lack of job history for being out so long. Now, I'm back to my regular self and it doesn't bother me at all. I worked through it with the help of everyone around me and with the want to push past it for myself. Cheers, Ivy.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ivy! You figured out how to work through some insecurity and moved on. That's wonderful.
DeleteI appreciate you stopping by my page and leaving a comment. Always nice to see a new visitor!
How wonderful to find a new post and sending best wishes for a very Happy New year, Mary. And also thanks for your recent comments on my blog posts which I try much appreciated!
ReplyDeleteYour artwork shown here is simply beautiful and I agree with Ron's earlier comment that many creative people, such as yourself, tend to over criticize their creations, no matter how much others may like them. I suspect there is always the thought of doing better.
I really do not consider myself a very confident person in many things, but in others I do and can act without giving something a second thought...but not always.
As for resolutions, as detailed in a couple of recent posts, I'm working more on goals and a few words for 2023 and will see how that goes. Nothing is ever written down, so I am on my honor so to speak.
I look forward to seeing you in blog land in 2023 my blogger friend.
Beatrice P. Boyd, thank you!! I'm having a few issues with blogger, so I'm glad the new post appeared.
DeleteI guess overall I can be critical of myself with a variety of things... won't make the list here... LOL! Some of us are just harder on ourselves. But I'm conscious of it anyway, so can therefore work on it!!
I look forward to being in blog land more often this year than I've been in the past. Not sure why I duck in and out so frequently, because when I come back and catch up it's always so nice to see what's going on with some of my favorite people!!
HNY, Mary. I don't do resolutions as I am going with monthly challenges as that seems more manageable. I understand about being tough on yourself and negative self-talk so good luck taking it easy on yourself. Easier said than done but you can do it. And your project turned out wonderful. Nice work.
DeleteThank you, Mr. Shife! I can agree that monthly challenges could definitely be a bit easier to manage. Best wishes for those that you're working on!
DeleteFirst, Mary, thanks for coming over from Dorothy (Beatrice). It's delightful to meet you! And t looks like we have so many things in common, which is always an extra special surprise.
ReplyDeleteOne of those things are those "in your head" voices, especially on commission work. There's an added pressure to that -- I'll still do it but I'm always far more "angsty" about it. Well, I love what you did here -- it's charming and pretty and I know your purchaser was thrilled. And I had to laugh about the wanting to start over and the dilemma of time (all of a sudden, your "hourly" is down to thirty-three cents!). I am charmed and delighted to be here.
Hi, Jeanie. Thank you for visiting! I used to blog more regularly, but then got away from it for far too long. Glad to be back. Thirty-three cents hourly is probably not off by much on some items! haha!! I've loved arts/crafts since childhood and have taught myself a few things over the years. One thing I want to get back to this year is painting rocks. That was super fun!
ReplyDelete