Last weekend we took our grandson to the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia. We had a good time, there's something there for all ages. The dinosaurs are right near the entrance. They are BIG!

A really neat part of the museum are the dioramas. They were created mostly in the '20's and '30's but still are very fascinating to see. Assorted African, Asian, and North American animals displayed to scale and showing a little of their natural habitats.















Their special exhibit now thru the beginning of September is GECKOS!! There were a good variety of them on display. Some you had to really look for as they blended in like brown leaves and tree branches. Others were very colorful.

Of course our sweet grandson had many things to do and see! The hands-on children section provides all the little ones with an assortment of experiences. There are some live animals too. Fish, snakes, Madagascar cockroaches, turtles, and a bunny rabbit they let the kids pet at certain times.







Great posting(with one minor exception,now the Beatles Day Tripper is running around in my head.)
ReplyDeleteI hope that you had a great Father's Day.
Hi M!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos!
LOVED the one of the mummy!!!
The animals actually look alive!
OMG...can you believe I've never been to the Academy of Natural Science??? And I walk past it everytime I head over to the art museum area. I really should do that one day because I think I would enjoy it.
Alex looks so inquisitive. I bet he's smart!
Hope you had a great week, neighbor. So glad mine is over because it was insane. This week I'll be back to my normal schedule and I'm so happy!!!
Oh...and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, RON!
What an awesome place! I would love to take my kids to a place like that.
ReplyDeleteWhat cool pictures - they look so life-like! That must have been a great day. Alex looks so sweet & happy.
ReplyDeleteI hope your honey had a good father's day.
love you!
fiwa
Awesome Pics! That would have been an awesome Trip! Your little cuite pie grandson must have had a ball with all the dinosaurs, and the mummy was neat too!!
ReplyDeleteMike, when I first titled it I was trying to think of the Aerosmith song... Trip Hoppin'... but it wouldn't come to me. Yes, we had a good day, went to Don Pablos as hub wanted Mexican food for din.
ReplyDeleteRon, for as many times as we've gone over to the city in the past few years and roamed around the Art Museum you'de think we would have done a trip here too but I just couldn't remember when. Maybe when one of the kids were really little??
It was sooooo neat and you should definitely GO!! I think it was only about 12.00 to get in. You can pay that just for one special exhibit and I think the Geckos were included. The butterfly room was 2.00 extra and it was neat in there too. Small section, but very tropical.
Glad you got thru the week. Now we need to have less rain and more sun!
Hammer, Alex was having a good time but we were trying to get him through some sections a little quickly so he wouldn't get too fidgety.... you know how 2 year olds can be at times. So I'd actually like to go back when there's more time to read the diorama details. I think you and your kids would enjoy that place.
Fiwa, thanks sweetie! You know I drag that camera all around. I missed seeing a few things personally because I was too busy getting the 'shot'. LOL All the dioramas are behind glass but they did look real!
This Guy, I think Alex was a little weirded out in the big dinosaur room. He growled a few times but they are big when you first walk in so he might have been overwhelmed. He's already getting alot of experiences but is still only 2. I would have loved to see MORE Mummies!! When the King Tut exhibit traveled here and hubs got us tickets I was just in heaven. I think I posted something a long time ago. Will have to check my old post listing and see.
Sounds like a great place to take children. Your grandson is adorable!
ReplyDeletewhat a cutie he is!! love the shot of him and a friend - they look so scientific ;)
ReplyDelete