Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow day!

I do like the change of seasons.  And now that we're fully into winter, that means the chance for snow around here.  Some years, we don't get alot of it.  Others, like last year, we do.  So far this season we've had a few assorted snowfalls and last night we got about 5/6 inches.  Hubby says it was more like 7/8.  We had a good laugh when he said it's like a woman to say it's less in size and a man to go for the higher number.  LOL  Well, whatever we got, it was enough to close the schools and hubby's job. 

We were moving a bit slowly this morning... it was sooo nice to stay in bed late though.  Eventually, as I was on my way to the computer, I looked outside and there was a kid (maybe in his teens) shoveling our steps.  I knew it wasn't our son since he was still in bed!   So I had Ron go out to inquire.  It was our neighbor's grandson.  His father had a snowblower and was doing the sidewalks and the boy was taking care of the rest.  Of course, my husband checked right away to see if he had any cash in his pocket.  He certainly didn't ask for anything but Ron wanted him to have something.  He gave him $30 and thanked him very much for the job.  Awhile later, our neighbor (the boy's grandmom) came over to return the money.    I tried to give it back, saying we know he didn't do it for the money and Ron happened to have some cash on him so we were happy to give him some but she said ABSOLUTELY NOT, we are neighbors, we HELP EACH OTHER!   Aw, so sweet and nice.  Yes, we have done her shoveling before, and last week when we got only about an inch or two she was over here doing ours because she loves to shovel when it's just a little bit of snow.  

It's cool that the father is teaching his son about being helpful and I appreciate that.   I kind of wish he could have kept the money but I understand.  And he'll get some other reward for his kindness I'm sure. 

Our little garden is in a deep freeze.  But in a few months, the soil will once again be getting ready to give hubby's veggie plants a home.  We'll try to be patient 'til then....
 

On the side of our house is a fence covered with ivy... and today, snow.  I like a little bit of snow here and there, but I also like that it's not around for toooo long.  The plows have already come down our street. 


Is it snowing where you are??  What is your favorite time of year/season?


5 comments:

  1. Awwww...what a kind gesture on Ron's part, and also a kind gesture on your neighbor.

    "And he'll get some other reward for his kindness I'm sure."

    You said it, M! I'm SURE!

    OMG, can you BELIEVE the snow we got last night? I got home from work just a minute or so before it started. About 10 p.m., I stood looking out my apartment widow and enjoyed watching it fall all over the city. I love how a city looks during/after a snowfall!

    Great shots you captured!

    Today, I'm going to get out there with my camera and snap a few of the city. I've got off the next couple of days, so I'm going to enjoy hanging out, watching movies, and just chilling (or rather...warmin'!)

    I think you may already know my favorite seasons. Fall and Winter!

    Love 'em!

    Have a FAB day, neighbor!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great neighbours! It's fantastic that they are teaching the children to help people without expecting a reward.

    I'm definitely a Spring/Summer gal - I don't like winter at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have alot of snow here M! I think we may see the ground in maybe June. I wish I was in Florida staring at a palm tree right about now. It's the cold that has really gotten to me this year. Lots of single digits. You are right...we will move past this before we know it!! How nice of your neighbor to help you guys out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that kid is going to be a great adult :)
    what a wonderful way for neightbors to be
    my son is snowblower kind around here
    he does most of the street, especially for the older folks
    he's been that way since he was a boy, makes me proud

    I love the fall most of all
    I think snow is beautiful but I want it to melt immediately

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breen always shovels our next door neighbor's pathway and parking spot every time it snows. Sometimes she comes over with a fresh plate of scones or bread. This weekend she asked our son to walk her dogs while she was away overnight. He only walked them maybe twice and when she came home she paid him $30. She certainly didn't need to pay him that much money but thinking about it now, I'll bet it has something to do with all the times we help her out.

    Kendall had a 2 hour delay today. Max had off.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!