Recently, I finished two of Sarah Dunant's books. 'Sacred Hearts' and 'In the Company of the Courtesan'. The latter one I had for years before actually reading it. I tried sometime after I first bought it but it didn't hold my attention then. This time, I breezed right through. How could the story of a beautiful courtesan and her dwarf companion/manager who escape the sacking of Rome in the early 1500's and later set up shop in Venice not be interesting?!?
Sacred Hearts was set in 1570. Italian convent, young novice who doesn't want to be there, rebellion, religious fervor, politics, influence, friendship. It's all in there.
After finishing those, I started 'The Almost Moon' by Alice Sebold. Too soon to say what I think of it, but it's about a woman who kills her mother who is suffering from dementia and then recalls her life and how it brought her to that moment. It's not a very long book so I wanted to have a couple ready for when I've finished. These are what I chose....
I have always liked Stephen King. Even though there was a period of many years I couldn't get into some of his longer novels, I just waited it out and sure enough one of his more recent books grabbed me again. 'Under the Dome' was his 3rd longest and I was hooked right away. 'Full Dark, No Stars' was the next one I read. Today, I found a book of short stories by him from '08 on the clearance table at Barnes and Noble called 'Just After Sunset.
My other find was 'Dracula ~ The Un-Dead. A sequel to the original written by the great-grandnephew of Bram Stoker and co-written by a screenwriter and Dracula historian. It's set 25 years after Dracula was destroyed in Transylvania. It promises to be suspenseful and fascinating. I'm sooo there!
Are you a regular reader? Are you into anything good right now?
I used to be a regular reader, Mary, but have read less lately. I am trying to get back into it. I've written almost 1300 reviews for Amazon, did you know and am #10 of Amazon reviewers. That and $4 will buy me a latte :)
ReplyDeleteSo I'm going to be reading tonight: "The Tea Rose" by Jennifer Donnelly. I started last month so I hope I remember who everyone still is after all this time. It's fine, but not overly great.
For me fiction is a luxury, but I need to allow myself the joy of reading more often. So to celebrate the 4th, I'm going to listen to the fireworks and read!
xoO
OMG...it's been so long since I've read a book, I should be ashamed of myself. The Internet has definitely distracted me from reading an actual book.
ReplyDeleteAll these you mentioned sound very interesting.
Especially...
"'Dracula ~ The Un-Dead"
I ADORE anything Dracula. In fact, I own several different versions on VHS and DVD.
Happy 4th of July, M!
X
Olivia, WOW, that is alot of reviews! I wouldn't know what makes a book good or bad. If it speaks to me, I buy it. If it doesn't keep my attention after I start it I sometimes will just tuck it away in the bookcase and try again later.
ReplyDeleteOH yes, do allow yourself that time! Enjoy!
Ron, the Dracula one was on the clearance table as well! Get yourself to Barnes and Noble and look for it! It was $26.95 and I got it for 6.98. I liked the Dracula movies too. My favorite was an older one with Frank Langella.
ReplyDeleteHi M! I haven't been reading as much lately...due to time constraints mostly...Just finished the Amanda Knox Murder Case and currently have the Shania Twain Biography. I do prefer Biographies or True Crime. Since I got my Kindle and now read on my iPad...I rarely ever pick up a regular book! Convenience mostly! Hope you had a good holiday...I can't believe the grocery store was packed! One would think they all would have been at a picnic or something!!
ReplyDeleteI go through phases of reading. Sometimes just non-fiction and other times fiction. Right now I'm in the knitting phase but I am trying to compile a small list of books to bring to Lake Placid in a few weeks. Happy Wednesday!!!!
ReplyDelete