Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fun and Fear

A couple friends of ours threw a Halloween dinner party last night.  Costumes weren't required but we contributed a few 'creepy' dishes for the buffet.
 
Snot and blood dip 
It's only Con Queso cheese dip with a few tablespoons of mild salsa stirred in.  And to get it green, a tiny bit of food coloring paste.
 
Dirt cake
It's basically just chocolate pudding, milk, cool whip, cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla.  On top are finely ground gluten-free chocolate cookies.  Oh, and gummy worms, plastic severed ears and large creepy spiders. 


Mummy cupcakes
Gluten-free chocolate cupcakes.  Eyes and mouth are M&M's, black dot of gel for eyeballs, and for the icing I used a pastry bag with a flat tip to give the bandaged effect.


 
So that was all in fun.  It was a good party.  We were home by about 10pm though.  Not the night owls we used to be.  *sigh*
 
The 'fear' part of this post has to do with Hurricane Sandy, aka Frankenstorm/Perfect Storm/Superstorm.  We're in NJ but not too near the shore points (almost an hour away), so we weren't evacuated.  New Jersey and other states are in a 'state of emergency'.  Many schools and businesses are closed,  flights cancelled, public transportation won't be running, local travel only allowed if absolutely necessary, etc. We do live near the Delaware and a couple of creeks so there's concern of flooding, but I'm more upset about the wind.  Having a small yard and big trees is making me very nervous.  Deep breaths!  RELAX! 
I have a stack of books and we're stocked up on food and water.  Lots of candles are handy if the power goes out.  Hubby was outside yesterday putting things in the shed and I removed a few Halloween decorations from the front of the house.  Our car has a full tank of gas just in case we do have to leave for some reason.  Not much else we can really do except wait... and hold good thoughts for Sandy to pass through quickly and do as little damage as possible. 
 
For those of you nearby and in various locations along the East Coast ... take care, stay safe!  I'll be thinking of you all.  For those of you in other locations, send good thoughts and say prayers for us, PLEASE!!  
 
 
 

11 comments:

  1. Love the Halloween food! :-)


    Good thoughts prayers for you are being sent. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone of these are faaaaaaaabulous!

    OMG...how FUN and CUTE!!!

    Love the dirt cake!!!!

    So far, here in Philly, we've had some wind and rain, but not anything severe. I heard that tomorrow is going to be the most intense for us on the east coast.

    Sending MUCH 'good energy' your way, M!

    (((((( You )))))

    Take care and stay safe!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally love those mummy cookies and the dirt cake!!! How FUN!! I'm worried too, M, but hopefully we will be blogging again normally without a hitch and all will be well with our worlds again on Wednesday...just have to get through a couple of days. We stocked up too and we have a generator if we need it. Sending prayers and good vibes your way!! xo Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the cup cakes, not so sure about the worms on the dirt cake.... grins.

    Sending positive thoughts and hopes for a problem free few days. We are keeping our eyes glued to the television news while Sandy is on the warpath. And we're praying for all you good folk out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your photos. I'm always impressed by people who do fancy stuff with food! LOL...even if it is a bit gross!

    Stay safe from this bitch of a storm! We are in the tail end of it, so it's rained nonstop for the past 36 hours. Will keep positive thoughts for you and Ron!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, about that "snot and blood dip"...is there a point at which one can go too far with gross food? ;-) Ugh! Heh...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That snot dip is AWESOME!

    Hope all is well with you and that Sandy didn't bring you too much water or damage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey M! Stopping by to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving!! xo Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's odd to read a pre-Sandy post, knowing what I know now

    just stopped by to say I was thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  10. You haven't posted in soooo long. I hope you are well.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!