Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Questions answered


Shae at C'est La Vie! nominated 11 bloggers (myself included) for a Liebster and posted 11 questions to be answered in order to accept the award.    

The questions and my answers are:

1) Who was your favorite celebrity as a child?
Donny Osmond.   I saw the Osmonds in concert at the Allentown Fairgrounds sometime in the '70s.  The mom of one of the girls I went with made the three of us little matching purple terrycloth shorts/bib sets.  The visual is so corny now, but back then we thought we were all that.  Our seats weren't very close to the stage but either before or after the show I did get the program book signed by his mother, Olive. 
As an adult, I got to meet him.  He was as handsome, charming and talented as I remember him when I was a child.  And how cute ... we were both wearing purple.


2) What is your greatest accomplishment?
Maybe to some it's no big deal, but I'm very proud of my 30 year marriage!  Okay, not officially 30 until November, but close enough!  Has it been easy breezy the entire time?  No, it has not.  We've probably gone thru many of the issues that other couples do... money, sex, children, family, etc.  Love is wonderful thing though, it makes you smile when all is going well but it gets you through the tough times too.  I'd gladly spend another 30 with my man.  


3) If you were invisible, where would you go?  
As many places as possible!!  I'd head right to the airport (assuming my motion sickness also disappears), just get on a plane and GO... seeing as much of the world as I could!     

4) What’s the #1 most played song on your iPod? 
I couldn't find that info on my Pod (I'm not very tech savvy) so I'll have to take a guess and say something by U2.  I recently added some old songs to a Playlist and this was one. 



 
5)  What is one of your favorite quotes?
Follow Your Bliss.
It's part of Joseph Campbell's (American mythologist, writer and lecturer) philosophy... "Follow your bliss.  If you do follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while waiting for you, and the life you ought to be living is the one you are living.  When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in the field of your bliss, and they open the doors to you.  I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be.  If you follow your bliss, doors will open for you that wouldn't have opened for anyone else."

6) If you could choose to stay a certain age forever, what age would it be?
Wow, this one is hard to answer.  Part of me wants to say 17.. not much responsibility, dreaming about what I might want to do in life, living at home, etc.  The other part would say maybe 46.  Since that was just a couple years ago... I had the wonderful experience of being married, having kids and grand darlings, but didn't have too many serious aches and pains.  Since the health stuff is getting more annoying with each step toward menopause I can't say I'm loving my current age but will try harder to get a better attitude.  ;)

7) If you were immortal for a day, what would you do?
Sheesh, I hate to be greedy, but I think I'm going to need more than one day to climb Mount Everest.  Okay, technically, if I take my time getting acclimatized... going up and down from all the camps during the month before (note to self:  start exercise program ASAP) ... I could possibly (with Dave Hahn, mountain guide extraordinaire!!) summit in one day.  Since descending is just as difficult, Dave is going to have one very busy long ass busting day with me, but since I have that bit of immortality, I'll be just fine.  And Dave, well, he's summited Everest 14 times so I'm not too worried about him.  


8) If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose?
Vianne Rocher, the free-spirited owner of the chocolaterie in Chocolat's fictional village of Lansquenet.

9) What would you name the autobiography of your life?
Mimi ~ Memoirs of a Domestic Goddess.  

10) What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done?
Watch both of my parents die.  They each got cancer, 4 years apart.  Terrible disease.  I guess any way one dies other than peacefully while sleeping at around age 103 after a healthy, happy life pretty much sucks.  Luckily, they went quick.  Mom probably within 6 months of diagnosis and Dad a lot less than that, probably only a few weeks, maybe a couple months.  Sad times, my friends... very sad. 
   
11) What is your first memory of being really excited?
Hmm, there was that Osmond concert I already mentioned but to not have any double answers...I guess I'd have to say that riding the old wooden coaster 'Jack Rabbit' had to have been a big thrill.  I rode it with my dad many years ago... probably in the mid '70s.  It was the oldest roller coaster operating in its original location until it lost this distinction when it closed in 2002.  The park where we rode it is one of the world's oldest operating amusement parks, founded in 1907.  The Jack Rabbit was added to the park in 1919 at the cost of $80,000. 


Now here's where I think I'm supposed to nominate bloggers for the award and then list questions for them to answer.  I'm going to break the rules on this and just say that I enjoy all of the blogs I read.  You each deserve one award or another.  If you want to do a post where you answer questions, leave me a comment or send an email and I'll come up with some for you to post.




10 comments:

  1. Mary, I am sooooooooooo loving that photo of you and DONNY OSMOND!!!!! WOW!

    " And how cute ... we were both wearing purple."

    Oh, how COOL was THAT! You look like one of his backup singers!!!

    "but I'm very proud of my 30 year marriage!"

    And you SHOULD be proud! You GO, girl! Great photo of the two of you!

    Loved reading about what you would do if were immortal. That's a GREAT one...Mount Everest! Enjoyed the video too.

    "Mimi ~ Memoirs of a Domestic Goddess."

    HAHAHA! Brava! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that title!

    "Watch both of my parents die. They each got cancer, 4 years apart."

    (((((( You ))))))

    I know, I'm lucky that both my parents went quickly as well. That was a blessing.

    "...I guess I'd have to say that riding the old wooden coaster 'Jack Rabbit' had to have been a big thrill."

    OMG...a wooden roller coaster! I remember the one in Willow Grove Park, Pa. I think it was called, The Thunderbolt. I loved how the wooden rails would SHAKE as the coaster FLEW around a steep curve!

    Great post, my friend! Loved reading more about you! Gosh, can you believe you and I have been blogging together now for like FIVE years?

    And it's been my absolute pleasure to know you this long. Looking forward to more years!

    Have a great week, neighbor!

    X


    ReplyDelete
  2. Some interesting replies there, Mary. I'd be afraid to answer some of the questions :o/. However, I could happily reveal my answer to question 1. My favourite celebrity was Johnny Ray with the actor/tress Old Mother Riley a close second!! Go on, Google first and then have a laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading your answers. 30 years married is a great achievement and a rare one these days - you should be proud. We are coming up to 39 years in December and are happier than ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG.....I LOVE Vianne Rocher. That is one of my fave Book characters. Have you read the two follow up books to Chocolat? The are fantastic!

    I'm always amazed by how good Donny Osmond still looks. Must be that good Mormon living...haha.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your answers! I want to play! :)

    (Mostly because I'm tired of writing about caterpillars!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that you have many more years with your wonderful husband, and that the aches and pains of advancing years never get you down.

    You are a lovely woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez...looks how young Donny Osmond was! Funny how time seems to fly.

    And Vianne Rocher is a solid choice! The wife and I really like that film. Makes us want to travel the world whenever we see it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to say, Mary, that I enjoyed your post a lot. It was nice to get to know you better. And I continue to admire your marriage. That is quite an accomplishment--30 years--and willing to spend 30 more with each other. Not many people can say that. Blessings, xoO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Mary. I enjoyed your answers, particularly the one about watching your parents die.

    I lost my parents 2002 and my dad in 2007 and some days I still can't believe it. You grow so dependent upon them that it's impossible to accept that some day they won't be there.

    "Follow your bliss" is great advice indeed because time goes by quickly and we are not immortal.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Watching my mom die was the hardest thing I have ever done, too.

    Since you mentioned Donny Osmond twice I am surprised to see you stand so calmly in the picture!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!