Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Confessions of a plant hoarder

You might remember back in Spring of 2020 I started a plant project on our back patio.  It became a lovely little oasis of everything from hanging vines to flowering plants to succulents.  And despite swarms of evil mosquitos, it was a pleasant space to enjoy for many months.  At the end of the season I brought in the house plants and anything still blooming.  Our enclosed porch held them thru the winter.  Some didn't make it (annuals that eventually died off and a few succulents that the porch was just too cold for or I didn't water properly), but there were many that did well.  Quite a few were moved back outside this past Spring.  Only problem is... I added to the collection... apparently forgetting that we live in a small house and the additional plants would need a place to go this winter.  
Currently, there are approximately 106 containers of plants on our enclosed porch.  Some hold multiple plants, but I'm just counting the containers.  Outside, a tray or two of tiny sprouts and at least 5 more bigger plants still have to come in.  One is pretty tall, and another is a very large tropical plant.  I'll need Ron's help to carry that one in.  There's another fern outside about the size of the one by the window.  They are nice, but many years ago I had one on the porch and it didn't make it.  Now I have two to try and manage.  Wish me luck!  

Someone might report me to the DYFS plant division for taking in too many babies without being able to provide proper care and warmth during the winter months. 

Thank goodness I've been into furniture painting as well because we needed the extra pieces to put plants on.  






Here's Big Diff (showing a big difference from when it went back out in the Spring). I almost lost that beauty last winter out on the porch and had to work it back to lush again.  I might have to get a small heater for the porch, or a grow light or two that could be moved around and shared.
I'm still learning the names of various succulents and house plants.  This one, a Dieffenbachia, I think is the variety called 'Camouflage'.  

I'm still struggling some with blogging.  Sometimes I leave a comment and it doesn't appear.  Maybe some have to be approved and will show up later.  On one blog, I can type the whole comment out in the box, put my email/name in, but there is NO button available to click for posting the comment.  That was happening before I got the new computer too.  I've tried signing in and out, etc.  Also, our internet is a tad slow at times, and I don't have photos figured out yet.  I downloaded GIMP but that is way more editing than I'll need.  I miss Picasa.

Hope you're all having a good week!    Mary xo 


17 comments:

  1. Mary, it blows me away how many talents you have. Not only are you creative, but you're also so gifted when it comes to plants.

    These are A-MAZING!!!!! They look so healthy and thriving. And not only that, but they all look so HAPPY. I can literally see them SMILING :)

    Brava, my friend!

    Hey listen, if you're looking for a photo editing site, try this one.

    iPiccy: https://ipiccy.com/feature/picmonkey-editor-alternative

    I use it a lot for editing my own photos. It has a decent amount of editing features; you don't have to sign up, and it's FREE.

    Hope that helps! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. And I forgot one other thing. With iPiccy, you don't have to download any software to your computer. You simply upload your photos onto their website, edit them, and then download your finished photos back to your computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite a plant collection! I only have herbs, orchids, and a few succulents.

    I only have issues commenting on one Wordpress blog. It doesn’t allow me to comment until someone else has commented first. Strange!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so many wonderful plants. If that was here it would be a bunch of pots full of dead stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love it! Just to see that jungle of thriving plants fills my soul. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary. Your plant hoarding looks lovely to me and I promise I will not report you to the authorities. Hope the blogging issues get resolved. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O goodness. This incredible!! I'm glad I stopped by...all these plants, it's like a secret garden...a dreamscape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ron, I hope that I'm able to keep them all happy and smiling!! I think the fern just said something under it's breath that wasn't so nice. Porch isn't going to be hot a humid like they like for many months to come. Maybe I'll have to take them to the shower. Ron will come home and be like... uh... why is there no hot water?? Oh, I had to make a sauna for the fern. haha
    Thanks for the photo editing site info!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bijoux, orchids!! Oh they must be lovely! Never tried to grow them. We had basil and mint this year. I put herbs/spices on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ann, thanks! Unfortunately, I think some of these will not make it thru the winter. Gonna try though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rita, thank you, I do love many of them. And the succulents... when I see little babies starting, oooh, so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mr. Shife, thank you! I'm terrible with technology. Maybe I can sell some artwork for big bucks and hire myself a social media manager. haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hootin' Anni, hello and welcome! I'm glad you stopped by, too! Our porch has gone thru different stages from reading/music room to catch all room... and now plant room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you are going to be a collector, I'd say plants is a pretty good way to go. I tend to overcollect outdoor plants, whether I have space for them or not.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Secret Agent Woman, fixing up the patio with a gazebo and plants was enjoyable, but our yard is very lacking when it comes to all that. I just gave Ron a bunch of hostas, an azalea, and a rhododendron to plant. Oh, and a dwarf pine. If he gets to the lilies I had in containers and they come back... maybe we'll start looking a little more presentable out there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. With all those plants, it looks like a tropical heaven, Mary! And seeing how you've transformed all that furniture has been fun. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stubblejumpers Cafe, thanks Kate!! It is a nice room right now. Furniture painting is on hold just now, but many pieces left in the basement so I'll get back to it one of these days. It really was fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!