Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2022

Choosing a title is hard sometimes...

Hi, friends.

I'm sorry for having been gone a while... again.  There are certainly things to ramble on about... but I think because I tend to be on FB and messenger more often... I get a bit drained and don't come here to catch up enough.

The end of January was pretty rough.  Ron's parents died within 6 days of each other, during the same week as the 4th anniversary of his brother's passing.   It's been a lot to deal with, but we feel some comfort knowing his mom and dad had many years on earth, both were 87.  They were married for 67 years!  Hopefully, they are at peace now.  

As you might remember, they had been at an assisted living since the end of 2019.  There were some ups and downs after the move.  I could write for days and days about all of it, and family relationships, and disappointments, and other frustrations.... but I'll keep it fairly brief.   Our family is doing ok, we have been shown much kindness, and for that we're grateful.  Of course, it's sad to lose anyone.  And, it's strange that they died so close to each other.  They actually hadn't even been living in the same rooms together for some months prior, not Covid related, but because of other circumstances.  Maybe that was part of it, too.   We did see his mom the day before she passed.  She hadn't looked well for a while, was needing more help, yet still being quite stubborn.  No one knew how sick she actually was though, with a serious kidney issue.  His dad hadn't been very communicative for some time, but did seem to like sitting in front of a window, or enjoying some sweets, a family visit, etc.  The dementia wasn't going to improve (for either of them).  Also, he was confined to a wheelchair and did need to be washed/dressed by staff... but, then...Covid. *sigh*  We can't seem to get away from it, in the world or in our family.  You may remember Ron's birth father died from it in 2020.  His dad here developed different symptoms, probably got the variant, seemed more like a deep head cold.   Initially, he was spending time out of bed and in his wheelchair, still eating.  So we hoped he was getting through it, but then just began declining pretty quickly.  I guess in the end it was a combination of things.  Family was able to spend some days with him, even though he was mostly unresponsive.  Of course, we like to believe he sensed all the love around him. 

 

 

Here's a photo from happier times when celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.

 

So for the living, life goes on ... and here we all are.  Weather has not been as cold here lately, but we might get another winter blast on Sunday.  I am still enjoying the coolness and don't want it to end just yet.  The other seasons will come soon enough and I'll appreciate that weather eventually, too.  Just not the bugs.  Definitely can do without them. 

I've gotten back to painting and will share new creations in another post.  

I'll be around to visit all your pages after I go fix myself a big mug of something warm and yummy.  Looking forward to catching up.

 

11 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear that, Mary. It must have been overwhelming to deal with two deaths at once, but also a relief that it’s over. I’m always surprised by how many couples die so close together. I’m assuming with the dementia, they weren’t aware, but it still seems like somehow they knew that the other was gone.

    Family drama . . . Boy, do I know how that goes! Hopefully, things begin to go back to normal for you soon. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loss of loved ones is rough. I loved seeing the two on their 50th anniversary...great memories. I know it's been said, many times, many ways...but time heals the wounds and the laughter and fond memories never fade.
    You take care Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I am so sorry to hear about Ron's parents. And 6 days of each other. Yes, I'm sure it's been a lot to deal with for sure.

    And you're right, it is hard to lose someone regardless of age. Death is death, which is always difficult and takes time to heal the loss.

    Love the photos you shared. And what a beautiful couple they were.

    "I am still enjoying the coolness and don't want it to end just yet. The other seasons will come soon enough and I'll appreciate that weather eventually, too. Just not the bugs. Definitely can do without them. "

    Ditto! I feel the same as you. But I think you and I are probably the only two people on this planet who feel that way about colder weather.

    Thank you for sharing the update. Always so good to see your post on my reader. I've been on a two-week hiatus myself and will be posting again soon.

    Sending you lots of good energy and love, my friend!

    (((((((((((((((((( XXX YOU XXX ))))))))))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very sorry for your loss. Losing 2 within 6 days had to have made it extra rough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear of your losses. *cyber hug*
    I hope you have a peaceful weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about Ron's parents dying, and so close together. That must have been really hard.

    Although my mother didn't die of covid, she had it twice and I believe that weakened her whole body and made her vulnerable to other things. She was 92.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My condolences to you, Ron, and the rest of the family, Mary. So sorry and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've had a rough go, lately. Godspeed to Ron's parents. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Condolences to you and Ron on this double loss and so close together. You said that Ron's parents had been in assisted living but not together; however, after so many years together they most likely sensed the loss when one passed first. Thanks for sharing the photo of their 50th anniversary in happier days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very sorry for your loss, and especially for your husband. COVID has been such a beast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all so very much!
    I just re-read all of your comments again and feel very touched that you offered such nice condolences. It's still weird to think back on it, and sad, too! Certainly, we're glad they are not suffering though. It was hard for them to have to move to assisted living, much more so for Ron's mom. There were ups and downs during that time, and not being able to stay as connected because of Covid and the facility being shut down did cause difficulty. But, life goes on, and we'll keep the better times in mind.
    ~Mary xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!