Hello!
Are we really in the final days of 2022!?? Here it is again, that psychological/biological whatever it is thing that happens... making some of us feel like time flies by too quickly as we get older. Actually have an article bookmarked to read soon about how to slow down the experience of time. 😅 I really need to concentrate a bit more on some specific techniques rather than letting myself just go thru the motions of certain things. From my birthday (late November) on until after Christmas, I want to feel energized and happy, and anticipate the wonderful new experiences to be had in a new year... instead I end up with some exhaustion and frustration for not getting everything done, and even some dread over having little control of my life and emotions. 😬😂
Wow, that's a bit heavy for a Thursday afternoon post, eh!? LOL
As usual, on the Eve we hosted a party. This time, taco theme. Next year, though, I'm definitely thinking we have to take it down a few notches with food and just have a crock pot full of meatballs, rolls, cheese, store salads, and call it done. We were chopping all the taco fixings the day before. I made homemade guacamole with roasted garlic, pan-friend onion dip, Ron made a pepper, cheese, and onion dip. We had 2 rice dishes that I ended up mixing together into one large tin just to get extra space on the stove for the refried beans and to cook multiple packages of ground Angus beef. Didn't even get to all the cookies. Made butter and choco chip earlier in the week, which was enough (especially since my girlfriend made a delicious cheesecake) but, I felt like more needed to be done... extra cookies, deeper cleaning of the house, better wrapping of the gifts, etc. Ron and I even had a rather depressing exchange of words over him feeling like he wasn't helping enough, and my feeling like it was all just too much to try and accomplish. Ultimately, we did have a nice time. Our family/friends enjoyed themselves. It just seems to get chaotic at some point and then I struggle trying to keep my mood up. What I love most about the season is spending time with family, and enjoying the glow of Christmas lights and other holiday decor around the house. The rest of it I need to relax about.
Ron bought me a big, beautiful poinsettia that eventually got moved to the top of the refrigerator when we needed the dining room table for wrapping gifts, and then food on the Eve.
Wishing you all much love and peace in the NEW YEAR!




























The holidays stress me out as well. My husband LOVES the season (really, any holiday) and he wants to overdo everything. I prefer low key, so it does cause conflict. Your trees are beautiful, but I’m loving those hand painted ornaments by Ukrainians. They are very talented. When I was a Girl Scout leader, I had a Ukrainian woman teach us how to paint Easter eggs (Pysanky). It was so intricate and fascinating.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you as always, Mary. Have a wonderful 2023!
All so beautiful. This year for us it was quiet. Only one "guest"; our son. Last year it was different, but, I'm still not sure which way I like it better.
ReplyDeleteYour decorations are stunning [we had blue walls about the same color as yours and we are in the middle of changing everything 'white'.] I think my favorite of your shares would be the coffee cup that decorates with the hot liquid.
Happy New Year to you.
The holidays do tend to get a bit stressful. I think we all put too much expectations on them.
ReplyDeleteI love all your decorations. I enjoy having little trees throughout the house.
Mary, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your little tree! It's very similar to the one I have in my studio apartment. It's small, but very cute.
ReplyDeleteYour home looks so beautifully decorated too! Love the white wreath around the cabinet. And the lights make it all the more beautiful.
" Since Ron painted our living room cobalt blue a few months ago, the teal/blue tree decor seemed to work well with it. "
It sure does! It works VERY well with it! And being a penguin lover, my eyes immediately went to the penguin ornaments. How cute are they!
And Oooooooooooooooooo....the fireplace mantle is stunning. Love the framed artwork too!
The Buddha is priceless wearing the Santa hat. I have to remember to try that next year because I collect Buddha statues.
That green matcha tea drink looks deeeeeeeeeelicious!
Well done, my friend. You home looks so warm and cozy!
Happy to hear that your Christmas Eve gathering went well. My Christmas was quiet, but ideal. Same thing for tomorrow. I will be laying low and staying inside all day. Philly gets beyond crazy on New Year's day, so I avoid the streets. LOL!
Wishing you and your family happy, healthy, and blessed 2023!
Cheers and X!
Happy New Year🎉🥂now that it’s too late to wish you a Merry🌲and also thanks for the recent blog visits and comments, much appreciated. Your holiday gathering did sound very busy and full of such delicious foods and treats. Spending the holidays with family was what we did as well, minus all the prep work, as we traveled to RI and my contribution was homemade cookies.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tour of your holiday decos and seeing all your trees was indeed festive. We only had 2, one inside and the other outside our apt entry. Both are still up until this weekend as we are in no rush to dismantle them and rather enjoy the colorful lights.
Bijoux, thanks, there sure are a lot of trees here. lol. OH, I've seen some of those Easter eggs, very cool! Sometimes we find a couple other items at Christmas Village in Philadelphia, but we specifically go to get the ornaments. That vendor has been there for a long time. I think they get new ones every 2 years. We have a nice collection now.
ReplyDeleteHootin' Anni, thank you! A quiet holiday with your son sounds very nice. Many people like white walls only and decorate with colorful art or other decor. Here, every room is painted a color. We have cabinets and windows that are white, but that's it. Ron is a painter though so most of our room colors have been changed multiple times.
Ann, thanks! I can't even remember the total number I've got around now. Over 50! My husband used to joke around about it with his dad. Uh, oh... she bought 2 more. Oh, and another one. haha
Ron, thanks so much! A quiet Christmas and NY's sounds very nice especially in a busy city!! I think we got those penguin ornaments in Target many years ago. The tree collection keeps growing!! Even after the decorations get put away (maybe this weekend?), if I see one on clearance anywhere I'll probably buy it. haha
Beatrice P. Boyd, I was so happy to read about your trip to RI, it looked like fun. No rush to put anything away here just yet. Maybe over the weekend we'll start thatt? It's just so nice to see the tree/swag lights. I turn them on as soon as I get up in the morning, and then my husband unplugs them at bedtime.
Wow. You have quite the decorations. And they look great. We went big with the fairy lights this year as well. Happy New Year, Mary.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Mr. Shife! I will be continuing with fairy lights all throughout the year! Happy New Year to you and yours!!
ReplyDeleteWhy do we always feel like we need to do "more" when having people for the holiday or a gathering. And really, it's just the being together that matters. And yet, more we do!
ReplyDeleteI love your Christmas home. It reminds me of mine -- loads of trees and sparkle and lights and pretty and lots of it! If you can't do sparkle and bright at Christmas, when can you do it? And yours is so beautifully done. Happy New Year, new friend!
Thank you, Jeanie! It's now Jan. 18th and we're still enjoying some of the decor that hasn't gotten put away yet.
DeleteHappy New Year to you too!
Mary