I like YouTube! I have all sorts of subscriptions… arts/crafts, life in different countries, plants/succulents, furniture painting, and a big variety of other things in between.
One of my favorites lately is a channel called ‘Pasta Grannies’. It’s amazing to watch these wonderful nonne prepare all types of pasta. Since I don’t speak or understand Italian I rely on the subtitles, but hearing them talk a little about their life as they are making the food is a treat. I’m mesmerized by their process of dough making, rolling, cutting, cooking. It’s a wonderful idea for a channel, glad to have stumbled upon it.
Many years ago I tried to make gnocchi. Those little doughy potato dumplings tasted ok, but don’t remember making anything like that since.
Before Christmas last year I considered asking Ron for a pasta maker. Don’t even get me started on the gifting thing. He tries asking early what I want. Nothing, honey. Mare, what can I get you? Really, hon, I’m good. Just give me a couple ideas. Nah, don’t need anything. So that goes on a while and he gets frustrated, but, eventually comes up with cool things. I actually did mention that I might.. maybe.. but probably not really.. but will think about it.. well… possibly… consider a pasta machine. NO! Never mind. Don’t get that. Really don’t think I’d use it. Nah. No. It takes me forever to make up my mind about everything. So he did not get me one.
Back to the series…
I’ve watched enough episodes that I thought I’d give handmade pasta a try. I don’t actually need a machine for that, right!? Some of the women have a machine, but many just roll out the dough by hand.
Well, let me tell you, it’s not quite as easy as it seems.😬 Some of these delightful grannies have been rolling dough for 50, 60, 70+ years! 😲
The first batch (cavatelli) went into the trash. 😞 I used an all purpose flour, but some recipes say that’s ok. Maybe it wasn't kneaded properly, or rested long enough. I bought other flours and tried again. This time, Tagliatelle. Kneaded and rested longer. It was better, definitely edible, but no rave reviews. I’ll probably try again, at least until the flour is used up since it was pricier than all-purpose.
Even though my kitchen probably isn't any larger than some of the ones the grannies live in, I don't have a big enough board for rolling out the dough and had to give that part of the counter an extra cleaning before and after. For now, it'll have to do. Don't want to invest in anything else just yet in case I just go back to buying boxed pasta. 😂
Have a great week!!







I’ve never tried making pasta because I always figured you needed one of those roller things to flatten the dough. My favorite is my homemade veggie lasagna. I use the Barilla thin lasagna noodles that you don’t boil.
ReplyDeleteI also love orzo dishes. So versatile.
I think I still have an old rolling pin from Tupperware that is a plastic tube. One of the handles unscrews so it can be filled with water to make it heavier. Maybe ice/water would keep the dough cooler to not stick when rolling?
DeleteI made veggie lasagna years ago, might have to make it again! Oven-ready noodles sure would make a pan of lasagna easier.
You are brave.
ReplyDeleteI have not tried to make pasta from scratch. I made noodles once, no egg. It was a disaster.
I don't see myself getting very good at it since the remaining flour hasn't been touched since this little batch of noodles was made. I know there are different recipes with and without egg. I have a couple packs of dry yeast in case I give some type of bread a go. I actually used to have a bread machine and used it a handful of times, but then it got sent to the basement and years later didn't make the purge.
DeleteOMG Mary, it's so ironic you posted about pasta because that's exactly what I made for dinner tonight (but I did not make my own pasta, like you). I made an olive oil sauce with fresh garlic, lemon zest and the juice from the lemon, fresh basil, and salt and pepper. It was fabulous! Like you, I find so many wonderful recipes on YouTube, and Instagram too. I follow a lot of foodies on Instagram.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, my friend, your homemade pasta looks FANTASTIC! Well done! And I really like how you documented the steps with photos. I follow an Italian lady (Nona Pia's) from NY. She's adorable. And a lot of her photos making homemade pasta look very much like yours!
And yes, you've read my blog long enough to know just HOW MUCH I love pasta. LOL! My favorite is simple linguine. And my second favorite is farfalle.
Again, congrats on the homemade pasta!
*three cheers*
Have a great week! X
Thanks, Ron!
DeleteOther than the fresh garlic, which I can't eat (roasted or sauteed is fine), your dinner sounds DELISH. I've made angel hair pasta with olive oil, parmesan cheese, sauted veggies, fresh tomatoes, and shrimp.
Just bought farfalle at Wegmans!
I checked out Nonna Pia's channel and subscribed. I guess maybe it's her grandson doing the videos?
Your end result looks good to me!! If there is little room...maybe cut the recipe in half?!!
ReplyDeleteAll pastas are good for me!
Thanks! While the longer noodles have to be rolled out, there are other ones much smaller like orecchiette, and I could try the cavatelli again.
DeleteI like most pasta, too!!
Well done! I've never made pasta on my own. Well, OK -- really never made it, more just watched. I love it, though. Pretty much any way one makes it! Sometimes just lemon juice, olive oil, fresh basil and parm is light and perfect. Other times, give me a little red sauce! And you're right -- youtube rocks.
ReplyDeleteThank you. :) I like lighter versions, and heavier with red sauce, and meat. Pasta is one of my fav foods, although sometimes I think I have too many favorites. ha!
DeleteYes, I have made pasta, finally. Many years ago, my mother gifted me with a manual Marcato Atlas pasta machine. Now, you can use an attachment on the KitchenAid, alas it's very pricey. My late mother made homemade pasta on a regular basis and it's a pity I never paid much attention to the process. She always used all purpose white flour. I am reading articles recommending the 00 flour, which it looks like you used.
ReplyDeleteBack to pasta making, I've made fettuccine a couple of times and Grenville told me it was good. I plan to try making pasta sheets in a couple of weeks for recipes in a new Jamie Oliver cookbook.
I don't have a KitchenAid, so an attachment won't work. But I did look up that brand of pasta machine and they are well rated. Nice gift! Eventually, I might purchase something.
DeleteEnjoy your pasta making and recipes of Jamie Oliver!
I have a pasta-making machine, Mary, but am not planning to use it anytime soon. Once we've used up the commercial pasta (too damn expensive these days) in the house, I plan to make my own, roll it flat and then into a tube, then it will easily slice into noodles to be dried or cooked. That's my heinous plan, anyway.
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks to you, it will be cauliflower gnocchi for supper tonight! My sister Joan introduced me to it, I love it, and there's a cauliflower in the fridge waiting to be cooked before I head out for a dogsitting gig tomorrow -- two weeks with 3 misbehaving dogs, or so my sister says. She knows how gaggy I am when I have to clean up animal leavings, so I guess I'm not looking forward to the time away from home anymore, but committed to helping out way back in the summer and won't back out now. -Kate
I've gotten dried/boxed pasta here very reasonably priced, but there are some more artisan ones available that I don't buy very often at all. I've think your plan sounds pretty good.
DeleteCauliflower gnocchi sounds really good!
Ron wanted a dog soooo much that I did finally agree and now we have lovely Luna. There were a couple conditions... and one was cleaning up after her out back. He's totally fine with that. :)
So kind of you to follow through on your commitment!
Although I do not particularly enjoy cooking or anything else that is remotely related to it, I am getting better at it as each day passes. Despite this, I have never attempted to make pasta.
ReplyDeleteThe dish appears to be quite tasty.
New post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/02/muzen-otr-portable-retro-fm-radio.html
Thanks. I don't always enjoy cooking either, and sometimes don't. ;) Luckily, pasta is one thing that's easy enough to buy and boil if I never want to make from scratch again.
DeleteGosh, Mary, I love this post as it reminds me of my Italian grandmother, who made everything from scratch.
ReplyDeleteShe'd really go to town on Christmas when she made sausages and lasagna and cakes. What an amazing woman.
I don't think I've ever made anything from scratch. (Does an omelet count?) I've been threatening to make stew and chili from scratch for years now, but it's yet to happen.
Wow, Christmas must have been a special time with all those homemade goodies made by your grandmother.
DeleteSure, an omelet definitely counts! I've made stew and chili many, many times over the years. You might actually really enjoy making a small pot of either or both. I have varied recipes at times to make them easier.
Looks pretty darn good to me, Mary. Nice work. We have never made pasta from scratch before but it looks like it would be worth a try.
ReplyDeleteThanks. I think maybe you might like it as a fun family activity! My grandson is coming over later to help prepare food for a family dinner. And my granddaughter is making brownies. We're not making pasta today, but kids sometimes like to help do certain things without it feeling like a chore.
Delete