Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

From blueberries to bikes.......

Hammonton, NJ is nicknamed the 'Blueberry Capital of the World' but there are farms in other towns here where they are grown too. Every summer we eat lots and lots and lots of them. Blueberries are rich in anti-oxidants and very good for you. So if you don't have a farm nearby to pick fresh, get to a market and buy a pint, or two, or TEN and eat in BLISS.






Every year hubby tries to get atleast a basic summer garden planted. Some years he put in zucchini or maybe eggplant, or cucumbers but he always has a bountiful harvest of tomatoes and peppers! The first batch is ready! Jersey tomatoes are THEE BEST!! Aside from just putting them in salads, they are great stewed, and made into sauce (gravy, for the Italians), and just sliced for sandwiches.
Who doesn't like a mater sammich with toast and mayo??!!





This picture certainly doesn't show it, but lately Greta has been a friendly girl. I still wouldn't pick her up to try and cuddle as I'm sure she'd hunk off a piece of my arm or rip a vein open. But I do try to give her treats, hoping she'll remember my kindnesses and not go psycho kitty on us while we sleep.






Hub's schedule changed on Sunday and he ended up having half the day free. It was our son's birthday, but he slept overnight at a friends and wasn't needing pick up until right before we left for his birthday dinner.


Soooo........ we planned a little getaway. New Jersey might be crowded and noisy and full of traffic and too many shopping centers but there are really neat places to go just for the day to get away from all that if one desires. The Pine Barrens is one of those places. In total, it covers 1.1 million acres of coastal plain across Southern New Jersey. In about 115,000 acres of the Pine Barrens is the Wharton State Forest and within that state park, is historic, Batsto Village. Right down the road from the Village is an old church that is still serving the community.






There used to be a tombstone in the adjacent graveyard that read:
Reader, behold. As you pass by,
As you are now, so once was I,
As I am now, so you must be,
Prepare for death and follow me.

It was at the grave of John Lynch, a young man that died in 1808. The original headstone was stolen, replaced, and stolen again. So we didn't get to see it on this trip. A few of the headstones are reeeeeallllyyyy old.





This one is from 1797, headstone of a young man of 19 years old.




Along the side of the church is an old piece of a bridge. We used to drive back there but it's been barracaded so we had to park in the dirt lot at the church and walk back to get to a little beach we used to visit often. As we wandered down the sandy path, we enjoyed the view of the pine and cedar trees and saw a few wild blueberry bushes and young oaks.














After only about 15 minutes we arrived at a spot that we enjoy alot. The Wading River is a tributary of the Mullica River. Does it look like tea bags were soaking in the water?? Because there is a naturally high iron content in the soil combined with acids and tannins that are leached from cedar trees, the water is naturally deep reddish-brown. Yes, okay, I DO enhance most of my photos, enriching the colors, adding hazes, etc. However, this water really is pretty dark.







The water where we hang out is fairly shallow but canoes and kayaks do manage to get through. It's a nice day trip for those activities if you are so inclined.





I prefer to just chill out in the mineral and organically rich water. Maybe because I am anemic and need all the iron I can get, it felt WONDERFUL to just relax and feel the current flowing by. I didn't alter this photo so you could get a better look at the water.



After our swim we walked back through the woods and then went for a ride on hubby's motorcycle. We stopped at the Village for a little bit and walked around the visitor center.

His bike is a Suzuki Boulevard. It's a nice cruiser. Motorcycle riding is a little bit out of my comfort zone sometimes. Batsto was nice, but areas closer to home are very congested and that can make me a little nervous. That's probably one of the main reasons why I cannot take even the first step to get my motorcycle license. It is a sort of fantasy of mine though. Something about a woman on a bike is very cool. But New Jersey is hard enough to navigate in a CAR so I'll just continue to dream about it for now. And besides, that studded seat on the back of honey's cruiser is for his #1 Biker Babe. ;)



15 comments:

  1. Great looking produce. I'm going to have to hit the roadside stands to get some decent vegetables.

    Did you know blueberries are brain food?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I LOVE your new addition of the etsy page photo's.
    Good going, M! Your jewelry looks beautiful!

    And these photo's of your day trip with hubby are freaking awesome!!

    The ones of the veggies makes me want to gobble them up!

    The church and the tombstones are my favorites, because I really enjoy churchs and walking thru graveyards.

    And Greta is priceless! What a great face she has! I really love cats!

    Man...Jersey has some really beautiful scenery doesn't it? Don't you love living in the northeast? I do. It's so full of history.

    Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful day with us, M!

    I felt like I just went on a vacation!!

    P.S. And motorcycle riding is out of MY comfort zone too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hammer, summer really isn't my favorite season but I look forward to it for the wonderful produce.
    If blueberries are brain food, I should be really REALLY smart by now. ;)

    Ron, Thank you! Actually I have to update it as there are still patriotic earrings listed and we're past the holiday.
    I love cats but Greta isn't the friendliest I've had.
    There is so much great history here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mary - just stopping by to say hi! And please sign me up for a mater sammich - that's one of my all-time-favorites!

    The outting you took with hubs looks like it was so much fun. I love the river shots - we have brown water like that in most texas creeks and rivers too.

    Take care of you - and I'll be by to visit when I can. I'm having so much fun with my mom though. :)

    lovins!
    fiwa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those tomatoes are begging for a couple pieces of crisp bacon and a leaf or two of some ice berg lettuce. Yum!

    The color of that water is wild. Iron and tannins you say? Hmm, I'm not sure I'm going for that. After all you are in Jersey!

    Bwahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Maybe I should get some of that water shipped over for me to soak in? (I'm anemic too)..
    The photos are beautiful! My fave is of Greta. But I adore cats!!!

    I looooove tomatoes, but I hate when the supermarkets leave 'em too long and they're over ripe - or worse! - I've tried to grow them from seed.. :( They get to one inch and then just die...
    I have a black thumb for gardening!
    But I'll join the 'mater sammich club, and help make em - especially the BLT's! ooooh yuummy, might go have one now!
    Got just enough bacon left!

    Love ya chick!!
    I'll leave you to the Blueberries - not my thing.. I prefer magoes and strawberries and kiwi fruit.. ooohh.. yummy! Snack time!
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my place, for the congratulations, and nice comment.

    I like your pictures too!

    Blueberries are a favorite. Love, love, love them!

    Your kitty's face is quite adorable.

    And the history you have surrounding you? Can I just I am envious?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such an amazing photographer!

    I totally love the picture of the cat. It's funny how cats can be that way. My aunt has a cat that she has had since it was a kitten. He'll rub up against your leg but don't dare put your hand down to pet him, you'll pull back a bloody nub....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures, and I'm so glad you got a getaway! I love visiting old cemeteries too.

    Awesome fruits and veggies from your garden. Looks so yummy and fresh.

    Did you know Blueberries are super foods? REALLY good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Fiwa, we would have such fun hanging out and eating mater sammiches!!
    Enjoy Mama!
    Jeff, jeeeeez, we get such a bad rap! LOL Cedar water really is nice and relaxing. Don't we all need that!!
    Trublmaka, I've been anemic so many times that I should carry iron pills in my pocket.
    I love kiwi and strawberries but can't do mangoes.
    Enjoy your sammich!
    Mo, thank you! Yes, we have some cool history in NJ but also across the bridge from me in Philadelphia are some reallllly awesome things!
    Bekster, thanks so much, but really I know very little about photography. What I like and looks good to me isn't in any way professional. I do alot of cropping, highlighting, enhancing, etc. That's fun too though!
    Rhea, thank you! YES, blueberries are SUPER good for you. Well, unless allergic. We've eaten sooooo many of them this season! Yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome day!!! You have the coolest days with the hubsters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos are gorgeous! I loved this post. I sure do agree that summer is the time for fresh produce and day trips. I'd love to ride a motorcycle!

    We've been looking at some houses over in NJ. The more I go there, the better I like it. Who knows....one of these days we could be neighbors :))))

    Happy Weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pictures were all absolutely wonderful Mary.

    There's an area here in Quebec that's very much like your pictures... sandy ground, wild blueberry patches and a red river.

    One of my favourite things to do is walk through an old cemetary and wonder what kind of lives those people who died so long ago must have led.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVED all your pics, Mary!! If I am able to ride my 50cc scooter, you too can ride a motorcycle!! I'm a bit afraid of the big ones on the highway though. But I do love my little scooter...Hey, you are not that far away from me and Jersey does have some pretty scenery. Funny you should mention blueberries, my neighbor here at the cottage just stopped by and asked me how many quarts he could pick up for me!! He has the absolute BEST blueberries on the planet!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Burfica, we try to get time for ourselves here and there. Hub works alot of weekends so it's nice when he has one off.
    Jane, thank you. But you know how I oogle over your photos!! Jersey has a little bit of everything! If you move I hope you enjoy it here.
    Anndi, thanks! Many of the headstones we looked at that day were of people who died young for some reason. So you do wonder what it was like then and what happened to them.
    Bichonpawz, a friend of ours has a Honda scooter and he loves it and rides occasionally with my hubby. I guess in the right area for riding it could be fun, but NJ is so congested in places.
    Mmmmm.... enjoy your blueberries!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!