
On Friday night my daughter and I went to see 'Les Miserables' in Philadelphia. It was at the Walnut Street Theatre, the oldest theatre in America. It stands alone as the only theatre operating continuously as a theatre since it opened in 1809. Neat, huh?
We got her the tickets for her birthday back in May and at first my hubby was going to go as they've been to see this before as well as other shows together. But this time they thought it would be fun for me to go. I really took my good old time deciding too (the day of the performance) because it was never a book or show I'd ever been interested in and I didn't want her to be disappointed if I didn't love it.
So did I love it?? Well......
I really really enjoyed it! But of course, it had a good bit of heaviness to it. Not called The Miserable Ones for nothing. At one point my daughter leaned over and said, 'oh, Mom this song is a sad one', and I was like, 'ya think'?????? When I wasn't sitting there feeling like I could cry, I was crying. Okay, just once or twice. Shhhhh
The man who played the main role of Jean Valjean had an incredible voice and terrific stage presence. Javert was really great too! My favorite parts though were when Madame Thenardier and her husband sang and danced. They brought some comedy to it and I certainly appreciated that.
The set design was terrific, the costumes were amazing, the music was somewhat familiar from hearing my daughter and my husband listening to it. So in the end, I was glad that I got the experience of seeing it live at a nice theater in Philadelphia with my daughter!
And D dear, I know you're reading this, so just want to say that I'm happy you enjoyed your birthday gift and thank you for not giving half the theater the plague. Gene and Ja Vert would not have been happy. LOL ;)
Hug, Mom
What a wonderful night out! I love going to the Theater, and I haven't done that since we moved up here north of Dallas. boohoo
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had a nice night out with your daughter.
ReplyDeleteI love love love musicals and that by far is not one of my favorites. So..your not alone in that boat.
I saw Les Mis a LONG time ago in college, in French.
ReplyDeleteI posted a version of "Bring him home" this weekend... it slays me.
I took my daughter to Casse-Noisette when she was about 4 or 5 and she sat perfectly still. I have to look into another show to take her.
Hi M!
ReplyDeleteWOW...what great shot of the Walnut!
I pass by there quite often.
Sounds like you guys had a great evening in Philly!
A very good friend of mine saw it opening week and like you, she said that she REALLY enjoyed Jean Valjean too!
She thought the whole show was wonderful.
I've only seen Les Mis onced while I was living in Florida.
My favorite character is Faunteen, but unfortunately she dies 20 minutes after the show starts. Her songs all brought tears to my eyes.
And I too enjoyed Madame Thenardier and her hubby. They were a hoot!
The finally scene in the show is breathtaking (and a HUGE tear-jerker)
Thanks for sharing this, M!
I feel like I just had a great night at the theater!
Thanks for sharing your special night with us.
ReplyDeleteSounds like it was a good time indeed!
I have auditioned at this theatre in the past. Years ago. It's a grand old house.
ReplyDeleteRhea, it was fun. There are alot of great shows to see in Philly.
ReplyDeleteBurfica, Overall, musicals aren't my fav. But I do like some of them.
Anndi, yup, I totally lost it for that song. I'm sure Chicklet would love seeing another show with you.
Ron, without that little bit of comedy from the Innkeepers I'd have been soooo sad the whole time. What a moving story. I'm sure I couldn't do the book though.
Mo, yes, it was a nice evening out for us!
Ronjazz, I kept thinking I was there for another show but just didn't recognize it that night.