Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2009

25 is a good number

The end of November was a whirlwind of activity. Our birthdays, our anniversary. We even managed to fit in a Thanksgiving dinner out with some of hub's family. Of course it was also the time of year that many were thinking about Christmas too. We had to put that all on hold so we could take some down time for just US. You probably remember we talked about a trip for awhile. You know we ended up deciding on Cancun when I stumbled across a certain hotel.... a Spa actually. The name you ask? We'll get to that later. For now, just keep in mind we renamed it 'A little slice of HEAVEN on Earth'.

While trying to figure out which pictures to post I thought it might be fun that instead of just looking at hundreds (yes, I took hundreds!) of vacation photos I'd narrow it down to some (okay, about 120) highlights and take you on picture journey. I don't know how many pictures I'll post at a time so I know it might be confusing if you jump in at the middle. If you are reading this then you are at the beginning!

And we're off.......

As if just treating ourselves to a wonderful vacation to celebrate our 25th wasn't enough, hubby sent me a bouquet of white roses too. :) The stems were wired so I told my daughter (who was helping to keep things running smoothly at home while we were away) to keep them in the vase for me and hopefully they'de still be in good shape when we returned.




The bags were packed, our SIL got up VERY early to get us to the airport. I had my accupressure bands on for motion sickness, took a good dose of meclazine, and luckily the seat next to hubby was empty so he moved over next to the window and we stretched out a bit. He got this shot.





At one point during the flight we had some turbulance. I'm not afraid to fly but the motion is definitely an issue so when one of the flight attendants sat down and buckled herself in across the isle from me I was telling her I hoped my pressure bands and meds would be enough. She said that what I really needed was a little Bailey's. ;) Sounded good to me. As soon as it was cleared for her to get back to work she brought me some. And some for later. I liked her alot!! I mean who doesn't love some really awesome customer service and a little Irish Creme to start a vacation. I don't remember her name but she posed for a picture.


After arriving in Cancun we found our transporation company rep who drove us down the hotel zone. We passed a few very big hotels, and in between were catching little glimpses of that beautiful water. And then we arrived at LeBlanc. 'Hola Senor and Senora' ..... 'may I offer you both a cool towel to refresh yourself?' Of course me and hubby are starting to pinch ourselves and hope it's all really starting off so nice. 'Okay, yes thank you.' 'It's my pleasure.' That is actually a phrase we heard ALOT while there. Not while out and about in Mexico, but while in this hotel. LeBlanc was the name. Did I mention that? It's very unassuming. If you were driving down the hotel zone in Cancun you might actually miss it. It's a small white hotel that sits back a little. There are only about 260 rooms. It's for adults only. It's all-inclusive. It's a Spa. And it's wonderful.



When we walked into the lobby we were greeted again. Another neatly dressed polite employee ushered us over to a wooden desk. We were invited to sit down and relax while they checked us in and gave us information. Another gentleman came over with glasses of cool coconut milk.... you know, because registering is such a bothersome activity and you might as well be comfortable doing it. While during our stay we enjoyed many things, one really stands out. The scent of the lobby. Mint and cucumber. All day. Every day. When you come in from outside, there it is to greet you. It is not in any of the hotel rooms. It is not in any of the eating areas. But in the main section of the hotel it is inviting and refreshing and it stays with you in your mind. You almost anticipate it. We actually bought the oil in the gift shop and now have it at home too. But I don't even necessarily have to have it diffusing. Sometimes we just walk by the bottle sitting on the table and pick it up for a sniff.



Because we had an early flight our room wasn't completely ready. So they suggested we visit the International restaurant for a buffet lunch before going up. On the way, we met this couple. P and K were sooooooo nice. They invited us to join them for lunch. We weren't there 1 hour and met new friends. Awesome! We saw them other times during the week and got together for meals and drinks a few times. They even dropped us off at the shopping mall one day that they going out in their rental car.

Whenever you arrive at one of the restaurants, a hostess is there to greet you. She asks your room number, and on her paper is listed all the guests. She makes a note that you are eating there and then escorts you to the table. A white linen napkin is laid in your lap and your waiter or waitress comes right over with bottled water and a tray with slices of cucumber, lime, and orange. With silver tongs they place a slice or two of your choice into your water glass. And never during the meal are you without a beverage. Whatever you are drinking is refilled right away. And another little neat thing was that for breakfasts/lunches at the buffet, our waiter or waitress would often come over and take our plate back to the table for us. Seriously. And when you look curiously at them and say THANK YOU they just smile and say that we're very welcome.... or 'It's my pleasure'.



'Hola Senor and Senora, I'm Miguel, one of the buffet managers. Are you enjoying your stay?' Yes, Miguel, very much. Thank you. 'Gracias, it's my pleasure.'

The food, as you can see from these pictures, was INCREDIBLE. While we don't travel alot we have been a few places including a couple cruises. Most people rave about the food on a cruise. This was soooooo soooooooo much better.



We didn't know what to get sometimes there were so many choices. Should we have just a couple cookies with our coffee ......


or just go for it all. What do you think we chose???



So after a very delightful lunch we headed to our room. Views of the hotel were just one delight after another.

The hallways and rooms were tiled. The colors all very warm and soothing. We were on the 7th floor.

When you get off of the elevators on the guest floors there is a desk and your butler is stationed there. Yes, I did say BUTLER. OMG......All day, every day we had one of two or three uniformed professional butlers available to us. There are different services you can use them for, all included. Want him to unpack your luggage? Sure. Order you a bottle of wine for a certain day. Absolutely. Fill your jacuzzi after dinner. Not a problem. Bring you scented pillows. Certainly.

Are you bored yet??? Do you want to see and hear more???? I haven't even gotten to the best parts. The room is coming next. And then the views from our room and the water only steps from the resort. You will not be disappointed. Visit me again very soon and I'll reveal more.

7 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    Stopping over via Ron's blog to say hello and Happy New Year! This place looks like Paradise on earth!! And I haven't even seen the beach yet.. but OMG... with a hotel like that, I wouldn't even want to go outside... Glad you had a great time... Take care, Leesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Mary it looks FANTASTIC! I loved reading about it, and look forward to more. Especially here in the Pacific Northwest where is is cold and snowy and gray. Pumps me up! Thx, xxoo, O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos. I hope that you are having a Grand Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am without a doubt jealous. I want more details and a way to make my own reservations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it all looks and sounds so beautiful!

    A Silver wedding anniversary is very special so you deserve to pamper yourselves. :)

    Our Silver Wedding anniversary was in December 1999 (the Millenium)and we had Christmas in SriLanka and New Year in the Maldives.

    I'll be making a note of where you've been to pass on to MWM for our 35th perhaps. ;)

    Can't wait to read more and more photos please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG....I'm DYIN' OVA' Heeeer!

    This is sooo freaking fabulous I could shit!

    It looks like PARADISE!

    I'm SOOOOOO happy for you both, that you went ALL THE WAY OUT for your anniversary! This is something that the two of you will remember for the rest of your lives!

    Hey....and I'm dying to get a whiff of that scented oil you mentioned. It sounds heavenly!

    And the FOOD.....holy cow!

    I'm on my way up to read the previous post!

    Thanks for sharing, M!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh M! This is FABULOUS!!! SOOOO happy for you guys....this place ROCKS! It is beautiful! Didn't you just love having your very own butler???? We had one. Once. On our honeymoon. His name was Noel. I will never, ever forget him. I bet you won't forget yours either. I really want to go to this spa. NOW. Cannot wait to hear more!!! Love the pictures! Happy New Year 2009!! And I hope you guys have twenty five more glorious years together!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!