Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A project completed

My son and I changed rooms.  We started months ago, but then the holidays came up quickly so we put a hold on things.  But now, finally, he is moved upstairs into the attic bedroom and my craft room is set up in his old room.  My darling hubby painted and painted and painted some more to get both rooms ready.  The color upstairs is a rich garnet and mine is a happy lavender.  I adore painted rooms.  White walls might be soothing for some and give a more refined or cleaner look but we're definitely colorful here.  Okay, the outside of our house is beige but if our neighbors would go for it I'd get Ron to paint the whole street!!!  What a fabulous block party we could have!



Well... the small lake nearby hardly looks like the water here, but I can dream, right?!   Actually, these photos are of a property in Nassau, Bahamas called Compass Point Beach Resort.  They were on the short list when we were looking into hotels for our 25th anniversary.   We ended up going to that luxurious spa instead, but I loved these colorful huts from the first time I saw them in a t.v. commercial.   It looks like a happy place, doesn't it?


Unfortunately, our budget doesn't allow a trip right now, but I do have a big bowl of pretty shells sitting on my craft table.... about as tropical as it gets today.  But that's okay, I have what I need and am thankful. 



A new space, some fresh paint, and a bit of dreaming must be inspiring me because I've found a new project.... bookmarks! 



At craft fairs, I'm always faced with the situation of not having enough lesser priced items on my tables.  Sure, my crystal earrings are worth every bit of their $10-$20 price, but not everyone is in the market for jewelry or has that much to spend so I'm trying to incorporate other items.  Since I make greeting cards too, these are a perfect thing to make with the leftover strips and sheets of paper and assorted bits of ribbon and yarn.  I have drawers full of supplies so I'm glad to be using more of it.  I even found a package of  plastic sleeves just for bookmarks while I was organizing my new space so it must have been something I intended to get into awhile back.

Speaking of bookmarks.... do you have one in something good right now?? 

I'm reading 'Even Silence Has An End' by Ingrid Betancourt.  It's very interesting.  She was a candidate for the Columbian presidency back in 2002 but during the campaign she was kidnapped and held hostage in the jungle by FARC, the revolutionary guerrilla organization based in Columbia.  She was in captivity for over 6 years but finally rescued in 2008 along with other hostages. 


5 comments:

  1. Love the bookmarks, Mary! What a great idea!

    It's nice you have a newly painted craft room, too.

    Just finished a good book - Season of the Witch, can't remember the author but will look when I go home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! Love! Love! the bookmarks, M!

    They're AWESOME!

    You are soooooo creative!

    *jumping up and down*

    And I'm so happy and excited to hear about having your own space to create your crafts. Oooooo...love that you painted it Lavender, too! GREAT color!

    When I first looked at the photos of the huts in Nassau, I thought your were going to say that Ron painted them too - HA!

    How colorful and cheerful they are!

    Actually, I just got two books for Christmas that a dear blogging friend mailed to me back in December, but I haven't read them yet. One is called 'A Walk in the Woods' and the the other is called 'Survivor.' Can't wait to start reading them.

    Have fun in your new craft room! Looking forward to seeing what cool stuff you create!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was given a new bookmark at Christmas by two of my grandchildren - it has a photograph of them on it. :)

    Those colourful huts are just the sort of place I would like to stay - they're wonderful.

    Your sea shells are lovely - I collect shells too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bookmarks M! Terrific idea too...as I know that the fairs are suffering right now...people just don't have the money.

    Me...I would really love to go live in those colorful huts! Right NOW! I am ready to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bookmarks! I have a thing for colorful walls too! You might want to change the link to my blog on your sidebar. My blog has moved to http://thepaintedhousestudio.blogspot.com

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!