Nothing says 'living in the past' like going Paleo, eh?
For me, this isn't just a 'fad' diet for losing weight. I have a couple health issues and have been struggling with food/drink choices for some time now. Okay, haven't actually talked to my specialist yet to find out what his opinion of it is, but by the time of my next appt. (few weeks) I should know whether it's working or not or we can tweak it if need be. So far, so good. I'm not being too radical about it. I've read the basic guidelines for the diet and am modifying it slightly.
I mainly do my hunter-gatherer activities at stores like Wegmans, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Since the diet allows NO grains and NO dairy, it's been a bit of a challenge to figure out the right ratio of other foods. Some of the research I'm doing is fun and interesting, but part of it is just plain scary! Labeling issues are a headache. Do you know that there is a petition filed with the FDA regarding an amendment to the standard of identity for milk and 17 other dairy products. Now since it's not likely our Paleo ancestors were milking wooly mammoths, or chilling out in a neighbor's cave enjoying a fondue party, dairy is out on this diet anyway, but millions of people consume things every day that are constantly going through changes, most of them might not be too good either. That said, personally I don't care either way exactly what is in any given product. If you want to eat something with 27 ingredients, fine by me. I just want the labels to state them. And, I want there to be a lot of natural, organic choices for those of us who need or want to use them. Not easily done, my friends. The unprecedented power some big corporations have over our food industry is so great that just reading about some of it has made me feel like tearing into a cheesy chicken pot pie and just saying 'screw it'!
Anyway, until my conspiracy theory membership card arrives and I move to a raw food commune, I'll just continue to experiment with new recipes and try to keep in mind that while I'll never look like this...

probably more like this ....
I'm really just trying to feel better and be happy. And that second cavechick looks HAPPY!
Well, I'm off to find a nice grassy field and club me a bison. Until I return....
enjoy a couple tunes!
Sheesh, why do they always put dinosaurs in with the cavemen?
And have good weekend ... oog oog grunt grunt!

I am really supposed to watch what I eat as I'm diabetic, it's trying, I'm trying, honest. :(
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the diet. x
Good luck, Mary! I tried Paleo for awhile, it's not too bad but I couldn't do without the bread - REAL bread!
ReplyDeleteAre you doing Crossfit, too?
I'm pretty sure you'll look more like Raquel than the other! LOL
I get tired of trying to keep up with what I should and shouldn't eat. My mom has osteoporosis, so Ive been trying to up my calcium for years and now I just read twice that calcium supplements cause heart disease! WTF?
ReplyDeleteI've given up.
It's so ironic you posted this today because last month I read a post on the blog Dooce and she is on the same diet. Apparently it's really made a difference in her energy level; feeling much more energetic.
ReplyDeleteI giggles so hard at the second photo of the cave woman because it reminded me of a character who would be on "The Flintstones!"
LOVED the videos. Especially the second one of the Avengers!!!!
Have a FAB weekend, neighbor. And the best to you on the diet....X
Eating is a pain, sometimes, Mary. I don't have dairy... but yesterday I was out for a meal and chose chicken ... ordinary CHICKEN... it came COVERED in mushroom sauce. Have you ever tried scraping sauce of chicken? Consequently my stomach felt terrible today and I felt like a wet lettuce.
ReplyDeleteKeep us posted on how it goes. I am really curious.
ReplyDeleteOkay, first thing I thought of when I saw that picture of Raquel Welch was the movie The Shawshank Redemption. Oh, how the movies have corrupted me! ;-) Heh...
ReplyDeleteExcellent post. Keep posting such kind of information on your
ReplyDeletesite. Im really impressed by your blog.
Hi there, You've done an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I'm confident they'll be benefited from this site.
My web blog ... body building equipment
excellent post! I too am beginning a sort of spring renewal, but trying to follow an Ayurveda diet...we shall see.
ReplyDeleteGood for you and yes,I agree - diets and finding the right foods for us should result in us feeling good and happy and healthy.
If we fail, we shall chill out in eachother's caves and enjoy a fondue party - haha!
peace & happy weekend
I think it's exciting to embrace this new way of eating. My step son was really in to the Paleo diet for a while. I'm sure it'll be challenging until you hit your stride with it. One thing that I read recently which helped me when changing diet was to rid myself of the "deprivation" language (I can't eat that or I can only eat this, etc..) and replace it with more empowering and positive language (I choose to eat this, etc.) This way you are taking control by choice.
ReplyDeleteHello there! This is kind of off topic but I need
ReplyDeletesome advice from an established blog. Is it very hard to set up your own blog?
I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm
thinking about creating my own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Thanks
Feel free to surf to my website: fast weight loss diets