Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Get a grip, woman!

First, I'm very sorry for not getting around to most of your blogs lately.  I had managed to read a few posts and left a couple comments one or two days recently but then went missing again.  *big sigh*

Things are fine with my family.  My grandson finished up Kindergarten last month and the kids are having a good summer.  My husband and son went on a last minute road trip to Georgia and enjoyed themselves.  I made the best of them being away and visited with some friends, did some reading, etc.

Overall though, I'm in bit of a funk.  Today has been a particularly rough day so why not blog about it, right?
The problem is... my hair is falling out.
I don't mean that normal occasional shedding that many women experience after coloring their hair or during a season change or while dealing with some stress.  I'm talking about half my hair.  Gone.  And, it's still coming out.  It's not just a bit of breakage, like you get maybe when using too much product or eating crappy for awhile.  It's full strands, coming out from the root, daily.  If I run my fingers through it my hands are full of hair.  Sometimes it's actually too knotty to even do that because as it falls it gets tangled with the other hair and causes clumps which I then have to gently pick thru to separate. 
So when it first started, I remembered having a similar issue many years ago and saw a dermatologist.  It turned out to be a slight overall thinning and I don't recall there being a specific cause at that time.  Whatever it was stopped, my hair grew back and things were fine.  This time though, it's not stopping.  If anything, it's getting worse as I can see my scalp now in a couple places.  Yes, I do have an appointment scheduled but the office is very busy it will have been a 2 month wait by the time I am seen.  In the meantime, I had some bloodwork done at my family doc's office.  Thyroid okay, menopause hormones about average, sugar fine, cholesterol a little high but lower than last time so alright.  The only thing out of range was that I'm anemic, which can cause hair issues, but I've been anemic on and off since I was a kid so this is nothing new for me or my body.  I just take extra iron when I get a bit low.
While reading online about hair loss it seems that it can be many things from diet to heredity.  I did change my diet many months ago.  I'm still not eating dairy, other than a little butter occasionally.  Initially, I gave up grains too but am now adding some back in now and then.  The weight loss has been slow and under 20 lbs.  So I don't feel that I've done anything drastic to cause the hair issue.  I'm eating better than I ever did.  And I take a few assorted supplements for things that might be lacking so I don't really know what the problem is.  My parents lost some of their hair when they got older, but not at my age and not so quickly.  Other things it can be are vitamin/mineral deficiencies, toxic metal issues, stress, hormonal imbalances, alopecia, etc. etc.  

As it started to get noticeable to me, I changed my hair style by just pulling it up in a pony tail or bun and having some strands hang down along the side and back.  That was cute enough and since it's been wicked hot here it's nice to not have all that hair on my neck for awhile.  I've been thinking all along that maybe it'll stop coming out and will grow again and I can go back to wearing it normally.  But since that is not happening I'm unsure what to do with it.  Thought about going to my friend's hair salon and getting a short cut but having not seen the dermatologist yet I'm just not sure what to do.  It won't matter if it's short if it's still coming out.  It'll probably just be more noticeable to do that.  And it needs to be colored.  The hair I have left is getting very gray at the roots.  Cruel joke, eh? 

Anyway, that's what I'm dealing with.  It's hard to have such a drastic change happen and not know why or whether it'll ever get better or if wig shopping will be happening soon.  Yes, I'm actually thinking that might be a possibility at some point.  I can't really color the gray right now, I don't want the chemicals to take more of it away.  So it's going to look both thin, scraggly and gray.  Oh joy!
 
On one hand, I feel bad for feeling bad about it... but it's bothering me a lot more now than when it first started.   On the other hand, I know I have to just deal with it.  My appointment is in about 2 weeks and maybe the doctor will know right away what it is and if there is something to be done. 
 
Hope everything is good with you all!  I will get around to your blogs and catch up very soon! 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. That is distressing! I hope you get answers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary!

    Great to see that you post, my friend. You've been missed.

    " It's hard to have such a drastic change happen and not know why or whether it'll ever get better."

    It sure is. And as a matter of fact, my brother Tom is going through this same thing, and has been since early last year. They found out for him that his hair
    loss was due to alopecia; resulting from excessive stress.

    And as you shared, it can be any number of things, so perhaps when you see your doctor in two weeks he can tell what it is and what can be done.

    Sorry to hear that you're going through this, because just wondering is distressing.

    (((((((( You ))))))))

    You take care, neighbor!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! This would put me in a funk as well! Here's hoping that there's a simple fix for this. I know that hair dyes can do this, and unfortunately there's also the hereditary side to consider. Regardless, here's hoping that it resolves itself soon! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot imagine what the problem is. Hair does thin somewhat as we age, at least that's my excuse! I hope there is a solution to your problem and that it comes SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you find an answer and share it. It is a distressing problem but it sounds like you have a severe problem worse than mine. I've read tons of tips and try to use all of them, but the problem still exists even after visits to doctors. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I hope your doctor can come up with a solution for your hair loss, I would be devastated if it was happening to me so I can understand your distress Mary. I have no advice to offer I'm afraid but I'll send you Reiki, it may help. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Mary. That is distressing. It is more distressing to not know what it is happening. Keep looking for a solution. There are Alopecia websites but I am sure you already know that. Please keep us posted. Sending good energy your way. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so terribly sorry, Mary! I hope you get to the bottom of this as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try BIOTIN. It was recommended to me by a friend who was losing her hair, and now it is long and full. I too was experiencing thinning and decided to check out the Biotin. I looked at a load of YouTube videos and I did research. I bought it and now take it every day. It has improved my hair. It is over the counter and it can do no harm. PLEASE DO TRY IT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you ALL! I appreciate the support and kind words. xo

    Yes, Pearl.. Reiki would be great, thanks.
    Lorna, I have been using that. The one I'm taking is BioForte, I think that's it. It's with B vitamins.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My hair is all gray coming in and has been for a while now. The problem is that I have to color it so often now and that freaks me out as all those chemicals just can't be good for the scalp. Tomorrow I go to get my hair trimmed and I'm going to talk to her about a new style. It bothers me to think of giving up my longer (it used to be much longer) hair for a short style. But at this point, less hair to deal with might be easier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm reading new to old so disregard my previous thyroid comment :).

    I've heard taking prenatal vitamins are the best for your hair. Frolic acid or something helps it grow. I hope they figure it out. Til then, try not to be too sad about it. It could be worse, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!