Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Cranberry Relish

Tell me these cranberries don't look delicious!!!! We went to the 24th Annual Cranberry Festival in Chatsworth last weekend and got these beauties. In New Jersey, cranberries are grown commercially in the Pine Barrens on between 3000-4000 acres. There are somewhere around 50 farms in the state that grow them in marshy bogs and we are the nations 3rd highest producer. Planting starts in April and come October they are ready to pick, either by dry harvest or by flooding the bogs one at a time for wet harvest.
Tonight I made cranberry relish for dessert to go with some ginger cookies I bought today.
Basic recipe for relish:
Fresh cranberries - 2 pts.
Sugar - I use a combination of vanilla and organic and don't really measure it. Half a cup, 1 cup or more, depending on how sweet you like it. Cranberries are very tart but that is enhanced nicely with something sweet. Experiment!
Orange zest grated from 1/2 orange
Juice from 1/2 orange
Put all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer 'til berries start to break open and get soft, approx. 5-10 mins.
Enjoy! Perfect for Thanksgiving too!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!