Pages

Monday, October 22, 2007

H.R.Pufnstuf 1969

In the early 70's I watched some really neat shows... H.R. Pufnstuf being one of them. As I was very young then, if the title meant
'Hand-Rolled Puff and Stuff', it was totally lost on me. I'd heard the H.R. stood for Royal Highness backwards and hadn't really thought much about all the drug references apparently laced throughout the whole show. One of the Krofft brothers (creators) said one really couldn't have done that type of work stoned but the other years later alluded to some drug use and of course there were rumors that they were 'often within close proximity to the sweet smell of pot.'
The show is pretty trippy. I actually have the VHS set of all 17 episodes. One thing I have to check out is something I read recently about the sound playing at the end of the promotion to introduce other items by the Kroffts is of a bubbling bong. LOL Funny.
Other shows I watched by the Krofft brothers were Sigmund and the Sea Monsters and Land of the Lost. T.V. was really interesting back then and with some of the stuff we've got to choose from now, I think I might just have to start putting those old tapes in the VCR again.

6 comments:

  1. I loved all those shows too!!! I miss them. (Singing the Land of the Lost song in my head.) Do you remember a show called the Bugaloos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was another Sid and Marty Krofft one. Bugabugabugabugabuga.... the Bugaloos!
    I don't think I watched it as much as the others. Martha Raye was zany as ever.

    Now we're really off down memory lane. Remember this one:

    Tra la la, la la la la,
    Tra la la, la la la la

    Four banana, three banana, two bananas, one
    All bananas playing in the bright warm sun,
    Flipping like a pancake, popping like a cork,
    Fleagle, Bingo, Drooper and, Snork

    Now that's when t.v. was FUN! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oook! That is too sinister!! I saw 1min; shall have to come back to watch the rest

    ReplyDelete
  4. trippy brit kids' tv:
    the magic roundabout
    takes the biscuit
    in fact dougal the clothes brush started brushing my brains out during a particularly intense acid trip... it took me literally years to comprehend what this trippy clothes brush was...

    also I got stuck for hours half way round that rhyme
    half a pound of tuppeny rice
    half a pound of treacle
    mix 'em up and make it nice
    pop goes the weasle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ook!!

    ps i got a comment with a real Prisoner Cell Block H expression in it the other day :: "I was sorry to hear you were so crook"

    as in

    "Gee Mrs Davidson if I don't get some tucker for my dicky ticker I'll be so crook I'll cark it!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never saw it Gledwood, but Wiki says it was originally narrated by Eric Thompson, Emma's Daddio.
    I can imagine that psychedelic carousel would have added nicely to a 'shroom trip.

    I imagine alot of your British expressions would confuse the hell out of us in the U.S.
    like the being in the 'casualty' meaning our 'emergency room'
    and 999 there 911 here, when needing help,
    'fags' for our 'cigs' and so on....

    That funny aussie remark I probaby didn't get at all then... you know... to be so crook, she'll cark it. We're so plain here, we just say I was so sick I almost died.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!