Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

And the stockings were hung......

I guess some families have the tradition of hanging the stockings on Christmas Eve. I put them up while I'm decorating the rest of the house. There's one each for Mimi and PopPop, the middle ones are for our son, daughter, and her boyfriend, then is Baby's First Christmas stocking, and at the other end, one for the doggies. My husband asked if we were missing one... for Greta, Her Evilness.... that horrid brat of a cat we do our best to keep warm, fed, and comfy. I've tried everything to get her to like me but still she does not. So no... there isn't a stocking just for kitty, even tho I did get her a couple holiday treats. She will share the doggie stocking, probably thinking up ways to get me back..... a good claw swat from under the table as I walk by..... a nasty bite on the hand as I try to give her a loving pet.
The picture over the mantle is one of my favorites. It's Lord Krishna and His Consort Radha. Our home is a mixture of many things. On the Christmas tree is an ornament of Buddha given to me by a dear friend. Our main tree in the living room is usually of one or two colors or a theme, but Buddha is always front and center. Hanging on a portrait of my Mom is a rosary and prayer cards. There's a crucifix laying on the glass shelf in the cabinet that holds an American flag that was folded in ceremony and presented to me at my Dad's funeral. On the wall above that cabinet is a framed picture from the International Star Registry saying my name was given to a star with coordinates in Lyra. It was a Valentine's gift from hubby about 6 years ago. The bookshelves are full of books on everything from astrology to Harry Potter to classical music to Anne Rice to Peanuts comics to Geisha. Christmas, for us, is not celebrated as a religious holiday. It's a time to share with friends and family, remembering those that have passed on, talk about wishes for the future. Yes, it's hectic this time of year and yes, we spend too much money and yes, we eat too much but we also have alot of fun making memories. May you all have a happy holiday season, whatever and however you celebrate!
Just playing around with Photoshop on this one. There was a card sitting on the tray that I removed and then had to add back in tree branches to cover the space, and a few other things. Actually, the room was clean when I took the picture so I didn't have to digitally remove umpteen items sitting all around too. I guess our housekeeper must have done one last job before she ran off to Vegas with the pool boy......

2 comments:

  1. What a warm looking place to spend the Holidays...I am thinking that you use your home as a retreat from the great big world out there and have made it exactly what you want it to be... good for you! Walking into my house is kind of like walking into the middle of a hurricane, you never know what may come flying at your head, or what you might step in. (Can I come spend Christmas at your house?) Hugs, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! We try to make our home warm and cozy for ourselves and others. Of course, it's rarely as clean as the photos show. I try to keep the living room fairly nice but going into the kitchen could be very dangerous. LOL So yeah, you're welcomed to come for Christmas but you may have to do a sink full of dishes if you want to eat or drink anything as we don't have a dishwasher. That's the worst room of the house... the pets... the crumbs... the clutter.... better yet, we'll relax by the tree for cocktails and then go OUT to eat!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!