Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Raw Fish and Fortunes

Hubby LOVES sashimi! So on our way home from shopping last night he suggested we stop in at a restaurant not far from us so he could indulge. While I like some Chinese and Japanese food, and can eat a little sushi like avocado roll, the sashimi (raw fish) has never appealed to me. Fine by him, he gets the whole platter all to himself!! I ordered shrimp lettuce wraps and we both had miso soup. It was a good meal. The waiter and waitress were both very attentive with removing dishes, filling water glasses, etc. At the end of our dinner they brought us steaming hot towels, orange slices, and fortune cookies. All nice touches to end our evening out. And then I read my fortune to him. We couldn't believe what it said:


It could be better, but it's good enough.


What??? We got a laugh out of it.... Ron even said... 'honey, I've been telling you all these years you could do better'. LOL But it was a bizarre fortune. Aren't they usually very upbeat, like you will live long and prosper, or you are wise beyond your years, or great things will be bestowed upon you?
So of course, the whole thing reminded me of my fav vintage humorist, Anne Taintor, some of her art I had just mentioned in a recent blog.

Ah but if this were me I'd have two dogs and a bitchy cat in the picture. And while I might have red nail polish on, I definitely wouldn't wear that shade of lipstick and the shirt would probably be black... more slimming. So see, not me at all! ;)

Deep down, I know I have a beautiful family and wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.
Okay... maybe if I could get a big screen t.v. for Greta, I'd send her packing.... but you know, the rest of them are keepers!

6 comments:

  1. Mary,
    LMAO @ that fortune. Maybe the next one will say..."Your lucky numbers aren't lucky, quit playing the damned lottery with them!" But I love sushi...I won't eat cooked fish, but give me a plate of sushi, and I am a happy girl! (The yellow fin tuna is my favorite.) I can't bring myself to eat sashimi either though. It just somehow seems wrong. LOL. My Honey and hubby both love it too though, it must be a "guy thing." I got a Japanese cook book for christmas last year, it has instructions for making sushi in it, maybe i will have to try it sometime... that picture you posted is making me crave it! Hugs, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I KNOW I have rotten luck with anything lottery. Hubby gets those scratch off tix from time to time and I'm extremely lucky if I get a $2 winner. LOL Forget the casinos too....after a couple rolls of quarters I'm soooo out of there.
    I have the sushi mat, a rice steamer, and usually have the seaweed wraps too. I've made avocado roll many times. It's not too hard to do. We always have soy sauce in the house and the hothothot wasabi mustard powder.
    Hmmm.... maybe I'll make some for our holiday party this weekend??

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife eats the sashimi and I eath the avocado rolls and seaweed salad.

    The fortunes are funny, sometimes creepy. I open them all until I find a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya, Mary!

    What an unusual fortune that was! On the other hand, it seems true enough. There may always be things that could be better, need fixing, are out of date or whatever, but overall, life is good. I don't know if there is a truer statement...

    I like it!

    I eat the wasabi; Luis eats the actual sushi. I would not touch it.

    Aislinge

    ReplyDelete
  5. As for the raw fish:... I think smoked salmon is the only raw fish I personally can tolerate!!

    ;->...

    (very boring and English of me I know!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hammer... good idea. Open them all up and pick the best one!
    I've never had seaweed salad, but love the ginger salad.
    Aislinge... wasabi rocks... clears the sinuses right up anyway!
    Gledwood...I am not fond of most fish, especially if it's raw. I don't like salmon much. Or tuna, less it's the canned variety, white, mashed up, with mayo. LOL
    I like broiled flounder, tilapia, something really light.
    Now, shrimp, crab, and lobster might be a little work but YUMMMMMMMY!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!