My husband doesn't read my blog, nor do I want him to. It's my place to think, chat, reminisce, vent, and share. Today, it's a place to honor the most special person in my life. On Father's day, you might think that it would be a post about my Dad. But it's not. Go read about Edward here if you like. Today is for celebrating the father of my children, my darling, Ron.
During my senior year of high school he worked at a local store that I went to alot. Oooh, he was so cute. It seemed like maybe he liked me too so one night I told my girlfriend to go there and give him my phone number. She did and he called!!! Even though he had already made a date for New Year's Eve that year, he asked me to go out instead and cancelled with the other girl. We hit it off immediately and were pretty much inseperable from then on. I remember when he would take me home after our dates we would sit in his car out front of my house and kiss. He's got these full, romantic, sweet, loving lips that were just made for kissing. And he could write a love letter too. I still have some of them and if I felt like dragging my sorry, tired from crafting in the hot sun all day yesterday butt upstairs to find the box, I'd post a few. Maybe later......
We fell madly in love right from the very beginning. We went to the Blue Ridge Mountains for a weekend trip, to the Jersey shore, camping in Batsto, spending as much time together as possible. I graduated, was wearing a diamond ring he gave me, and was married before the end of that year. Sometimes.... you just know.
We started our lives and family together quickly and there might have been a few people back then who thought we wouldn't make it being so young. But with our 25th anniversary coming later in the year, I guess we were right all along.
We have two children now (and one grandson!) and they all benefit from having such a wonderful man in their lives. He's always been very involved, very hands on. He was changing diapers right from the start. Holding his babies to his chest and gently patting them to sleep. Right there for every single trial and tribulation.
Life hasn't always been easy for my husband. College didn't work out for him and he left early, before we had met. Working in retail sales was fine for awhile, but after taking on a wife and having a daughter on the way he needed different hours, better pay, and health benefits so it was time to look for something else. My Dad had been teaching him some of his trade... painting... and eventually got into a Union. It's not been an easy job, but he's very good at it. He's had steady work for many years now and he's very knowledgeable and respected in that field. But still, he praises my Dad for showing him the ropes, giving him the credit. And loved him just like he was his own Dad instead of just a father-in-law. Infact, as my Dad was dying after cancer had taken over his body, it was my husband whose hand he held as he took his last breath. I will never forget that. They had a very loving bond and mutual respect for each other.
Even though we're older now, he's still just as wonderful as he ever was. And he doesn't even know it. He still says things to me like, 'you were so out of my league', and 'I can't believe I'm with a beautiful girl like you', and other crazy things. But that's just how he is. Everyone is always more important. There is nothing selfish about him and he's not comfortable being the center of attention.
It's easy at times to take things for granted. Life just goes along and we get used to the way things are, for better or worse. But when I think about him, I am amazed at how fortunate I am to be this man's wife. Sure, there have been times we've gotten a little off track and had to set things right again, but I wouldn't change anything at all about our life together. We have alot of fun and really enjoy each other's company. We go to dinner, to movies, on day trips (all when money allows) or even just run errands together. Alot of times we snuggle up in bed and watch old reruns of t.v. shows. Lately, we've been into Gilligan's Island but it's not so much about what we're watching as that we're just being together.
He is the kindest person I know. He is the strongest person I know. He is the most knowledgeable person I know. He's sweet, he's sexy, he's loving, he's gentle.
Some other facts about that man of mine:
*He couldn't imagine life without atleast one dog. We have two and they sleep in our bed. He shares even with them.
*His favorite food is spaghetti, and he loves my stuffed shells too and I'm not even an authentic Italian cook.
*He was born in Korea.
*He's donated his hair twice to Locks of Love.
*His favorite movie is 'Tombstone' although 'Somewhere in Time' rates up there too, but whether before or after The Three Stooges, I don't know.
*He's one of those people who've only had a couple of cavities. Nice teeth.
*He gives a gooooooood hug.
*He's not fond of dressing up although he looks very sexy when he does.
*He's generous and compassionate.
*He likes one cup of regular coffee in the morning and after that... decaf.
*He plants a garden every year so we have fresh veggies all summer.
*He's a fan of Philadelphia teams, especially the Eagles.
*He occasionally listens to sports talk radio.
*Some of his favorite musical artists are: The Beatles, Yes, Kansas, the Carpenters, Willie Nelson, James Taylor, and a few others.
*A few years ago he wanted to ride a motorcycle so he took a weekend course, got his license, and bought an old bike. As soon as he could afford to upgrade, he got himself a beautiful Suzuki Boulevard. I love to watch him on it if we're going somewhere in separate vehicles and I'm behind him. He's a very hot looking biker. ;)
*He wouldn't agree with most of this post.
So you get the picture. He's an exceptional man. I'm honored to have him as my husband and hope to have another 25 years this time around and a few more lifetimes after that. My honey is the best and I LOVE HIM!!!
Aw, what a beautiful post. I have a tear in my eye now. :)
ReplyDeleteI hope you BOTH have a wonderful day.
lovins,
fiwa
Oh oh oh I just love to hear posts like that and how much you love your hubby.
ReplyDeleteI get so many comments and looks when I tell people that I love my man more today than yesterday, and that I still get excited when he comes home from work.
I'm glad someone else out there has that amazing love I feel we have.
Happy fathers day to your honey!!!!
We celebrate father's day in September here, but its always nice to be reassured of the love and bonds people can share together, even after such a long time (though if I'm not mistaken, it seems like forever in the blink of an eye?)
ReplyDeleteCrazy and I have only been together for thelast 4 years come September, we've had so many ups and downs, and many many times I really didn't think we were going to make it. But you're right, when you know, you know.
I hope I'm still lovingly reflecting on our relationship in 25 years time - and then some!
Congratulations on going the distance xo All the best for the next 25!!
What a sweet, loving post!! Sounds like you found yourself a good man!
ReplyDeleteDid you not get my email? I did get your package and I LOVE my new earrings. Thanks so much for the extra bonus too. I was so excited to receive it all in the mail. You have gorgeous handwriting too.
Thank yoU!!
AWWW, M....what a WONDERFUL celebration of your husband!
ReplyDeleteAnd any man who's favorite movie is "Somewhere In Time"....I KNOW has to be an AWESOME man!
Honestly...you guys sound like a PERFECT match!
I'm SOOOOO happy for you BOTH!
Enjoy your evening together!
Thanks for sharing this post, M. It was beautiful!
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY RON!
P.S....and by the way...you've got a GREAT name!
That was a beautiful tribute. You are so fortunate to have each other. Your love always shines so brightly.
ReplyDelete*wipes tear* It's a shame he doesn't read.... such a gorgeous tribute!!!
ReplyDeletexx
Sounds like quite a catch.
ReplyDeletewhat a great fathers day post.
What a great post! Really a wonderful tribute to your husband.
ReplyDeletethat was not only a great post but inspiring as well. To just take time to remember the GREAT things we love about our husbands.
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing
Aw, Fiwa, don't cry!
ReplyDeleteYes, we had a good one.
Burfica, Thank you. And I'm glad to hear you are still in love too!
Trublmaka, many thanks. Wishing you lots of happy years with 'Crazy'!
Rhea, yes I surely did. And yes I did get the mail. I have two accounts so it's confusing at times.
My handwriting is a bit fancy like my Dad's was.
Ron, thank you very much. We liked 'Ron' so much we named our son Ron as well!
They are in good company!
Bonnie, it has been a long time but we truly are still very much in love!
Giggle, I sometimes read him a snipet here and there or show him a few pictures that I post. He does email or reads sports stuff occasionally but after work he'd rather relax.
Hammer, thanks, we're lucky to have each other.
Nitebyrd, thank you. He would be embarrassed and not agree with alot of it. Sooo modest.
Alekx, so many people are going thru difficulties in their relationships. I'm very blessed to have ours still in tact. It's important to say those kind words as often as possible. Thanks for visiting.
What a beautiful tribute you have written for your husband! Very touching!! I am happy for you both!!
ReplyDeleteI think this is the sweetest thing I have read all year!
ReplyDeleteYou are so blessed!
Bichonpawz, thank you! It was enjoyable to write because he's all that and more.
ReplyDeleteMiddle child, I really am!
Thanks for stopping by.