Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2009

I don't make lipstick but.....

I'm hoping to get a good supply of greeting cards done between now and next weekend. For awhile, I wondered if I should even try to continue selling my creations. Will anyone show up to craft fairs? Would it be wrong to ask a girlfriend or two to host a jewelry party for me when the country is in such a terrible recession.


Just recently, a friend told me that she read an article about what people are buying and one item is lipstick. It sounded reasonable (I love lipstick), so I researched that a bit and found that Leonard Lauder, chairman of the Estee Lauder company, did find years ago after September 11th that sales for certain products did increase. Called the Lipstick Index it basically means when women can't afford to buy expensive clothing or other high end products they'll go for a little makeup to make themselves feel good. Target even reported the end of last year that while sales in general had gone way down on many items, jewelry and accessories (including cosmetics) were up some.

So..... I'm hopeful that handmade items will still hold their value. As people might not be able to afford as many gifts, maybe they'll buy a few less pricey items and pair them with a pretty card.






And with gold expected to reach $1000.00 per ounce soon, wouldn't stone and crystals be much more affordable??




Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend. I'm going upstairs now with a big mug of coffee and a good attitude and getting back to work.

12 comments:

  1. Hi! You commented on my blog, and so her I am on yours! I LOVE this red bracelet/earring set! I am a jewelry maker, too. Yep, sort of a jack-of-all! I also loved your photos of vacation in Cancun. I am jealous! Lucky YOU! Keep on commenting! Did you see my paper cupcake? It's super neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your cards and jewellry sell well. I love hand made cards they always make a gift look special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah my sales with avon went way way down too. But it always does that after christmas, till about mid spring when taxes come back in.

    I think people who want to buy stuff and are still employed still will. I don't think that will ever change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your cards and jewelry M!!! Interesting post today....on the news the other night, they had a feature about people still being able to afford a tube of lipstick to make themselves look better / feel better. So, you are right on the money! Hope your sales go well my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOOOOOOH YES!

    You're SO right about the lipstick thing! Being in the cosmetic industry I see that. Lipstick or a small bottle of perfume is an inexpensive pick-me-up! And thank god too...because it's keeping the industry alive!

    Hey, M....I LOVE your creative crafts here! They're AWESOME!!! My god, the cards are better than anything I've ever seen in the damn card stores. And I really love how you have the bracelet on the Buddha image, it really makes it POP! And the bracelet is WOW!!!

    I can see that you've been a very busy creative bee!!!

    And yes...I definately think people would purchase these items. They're afforable and beautiful, why not?

    So go for it$$$

    Hope you had great Sunday!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try not to create things with only the thought of sales because it definitely has been slow. But I do think handmade items are more special than mass produced and people will be looking for special instead of expensive as time goes on.

    Make your cards because it makes you feel good and they are things of beauty. BTW, I'm lovin' that red bracelet & earring set! Is it on Etsy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just came over from Texas Word Tangle. Love this red jewelry set. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you Mary!! This is what I need to hear. I can't tell you how much progress is stunted because I start thinking that nobody will buy my things. Your cards and jewelry are stunning. As a side note, Breen and I almost passed out on the floor at several jewelry stores recently when we went shopping for our wedding bands. Most stores were asking at least $300 for very light and flimsy plain bands. We went home, got on line and did our research. We found the rings we loved right on line!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you Mary!! This is what I need to hear. I can't tell you how much progress is stunted because I start thinking that nobody will buy my things. Your cards and jewelry are stunning. As a side note, Breen and I almost passed out on the floor at several jewelry stores recently when we went shopping for our wedding bands. Most stores were asking at least $300 for very light and flimsy plain bands. We went home, got on line and did our research. We found the rings we loved right on line!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Plus I think there are many who would rather make what purchases they can from an individual rather than a chain store. Keep plugging away. :)

    Love you!
    fiwa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!