Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Now where will we watch LOST?????

A few months ago we noticed two thin lines running down the sides of our t.v. screen. No biggie. They were small and went away after the t.v. was on for a little while but as soon as the holidays were over we definitely wanted to get that fixed.
It was a fairly new set, only about a year old, but the manufacturer's warranty had just expired so we were glad we purchased the additional 3 year plan. Hubs called the company and scheduled an appt. for repair. When the tech arrived he said it was a very common problem, BUT a new screen had to be ordered and the work had to be done at their shop. He told us it would take 2-3 weeks and took our t.v. :(((
A beautiful 46" LCD Toshiba. As it's being driven away in the van, a scene from the movie 'The Grinch Who Stole Christmas' popped into my head:
Narrator: As the Grinch grabbed the tree, as he started to shove, he heard a small sound like the coo of a dove. He turned around fast and he saw a small Who. Little Cindy Lou Who, who was no more than two. She stared at the Grinch and said...
Cindy Lou Who: Santy Claus, why? Why are you taking our Christmas tree, why?
Narrator: But you know, that old Grinch was so smart and so slick, that he thought up a lie and he thought it up quick.
Grinch: Why my sweet little tot...
Narrator: The fake Santie Claus lied...
Grinch: ...there's a light on this tree that won't light on one side. So I'm taking it home to my work shop, my dear. I'll fix it up there, then I'll bring it back here.
Narrator: And his fib fooled the child. So he patted her head, he got her a drink and he sent her to bed. And when Cindy Lou Who was in bed with her cup, he crupt to the chimney and stuffed the tree up. Then he went up the chimney himself, the old liar, and the last thing he took was the log for their fire. On their walls he left nothing but hooks and some wire. And the one speck of food that he left in the house was a crumb that was even too small for a mouse.
Okay, yes, strange twisted mind I have. I really was thinking something wasn't right. So it was on it's way ... nothing I could do.... and we still had a nice set in our bedroom. Not like any of us watch t.v. all the time. We'll make do.
We watched LOST at our daughter's house the first week and last week in our bedroom. We were hoping to have it back for THIS WEEK'S EPISODE!
hehehehehehehehehehehe DREAM ON
The other day we get a voicemail message. The woman basically told us our t.v. was not cost effective to fix, they researched a comparable model as our model was discontinued, our set was being scrapped, and they would send out a check.
A check for $899.95.
WTF??
A little more than a year ago, we paid over $2000.00.
YES, that's right....
TWO GRAND.
It was a big purchase and we took our time deciding which make and model we wanted and included in that price was the additional warranty so our sweet baby would be protected.
The model they found for us to purchase was very similar to ours. We went to the Toshiba website to check it out and the suggested retail price was just about $1800.00.
WTF??
Why are they only giving us 899.95 then???
Back and forth on the phone, hubs finds out that because we purchased the set from Circuit City and they are going out of business, new merchandise for anything needing replacement under warranty cannot be handled by them anymore. The warranty company is in charge now.
They were in charge of finding us a t.v.
What they found us was a REFURBISHED t.v. that has to be ordered ONLINE.
We would be responsible for any fees above the price of the unit. Shipping alone on that model is $100.00.
After they send the check, the 3 year warranty that we initially purchased becomes null and void. So it is OUR responsibility to purchase another warranty. The cost for 3 years = $180.00. And the basic coverage they offer if you DON'T buy the additional package is only 3 months.
Bastards.
Hubs called Toshiba directly. Even though the basic manufacturer warranty had expired, he explained the situation. They said it sounded like something they could work with us about. We'd obviously have to get our t.v. back first.
Hubs tried.
It's GONE.
We were never asked if that was acceptable.
Even though it wasn't going to be fixed by them, we were never even given the choice to get our set back and have it repaired ourselves.
So now Toshiba cannot help us.
A check is on it's way and we either have to use it towards the purchase of another set, which for our model and size is wayyyyyy less than we'll have to pay.
OR....
we can buy the refurbished t.v. online and spend a few hundred more on shipping and another warranty. Refurbished models aren't necessarily bad but the customer has no way of knowing where the set came from, whether it was previously repaired, and for what.
OR....
We can try to fight it. They gave hubs the address of where to write for disputes. Who knows how long the process is on that and if the outcome would be at all acceptable. Apparently, alot of people are having similar issues.
We're not sure what we're doing yet.

9 comments:

  1. I am so angry for you! What a freaking SCAM! Grrrrr... I'm in a mood, want me to go postal on someone for you?

    I'm sorry girlfriend - that really sucks. Let us know how this plays out.

    love you -
    fiwa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a thought - do any of your local newstations have one of those guys who specializes in scams - goes after the bad guys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get on the phone and call your local news with this story! Bet that would get Toshiba a little shove to help you out! They do not like publicity of the bad kind...especially in this economy. And oh man, M, WTF is right!!!! I would be so pissed off!!!! Hope this works out for you guys!!! AND I hope you have another set to watch Lost on. Did you watch tonight?? I'm more confused than ever now. Seriously. Lost. I don't even know why I continue to watch! The lesson from all this. I guess we should all stop purchasing from Circuit City!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbelievable! What rotten bastards! This just makes me so angry. I hope you can fight it and get what you deserve - a brand new TV REPLACEMENT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It wasn't Toshiba's fault. They actually did say that they could probably help us, but we'd obviously need to have the set in our possession. According to the repair company it's long gone. And where did it go??? To the trash dumpster?? Probably not. It was possibly sold to a company that 'refurbishes' them. LOL If I buy a used model, I might end up getting my OWN set back. LOL

    Circuit City is going out of business. They are in the liquidation process. Although I haven't heard of anyone getting really great deals. But as far as I know, CC doesn't decide on sales or prices for anything now and the individual stores or managers cannot do anything for situations like ours. Hubs tried to call them too.

    And on top of all this mess with our t.v. last year my son bought a big screen LCD from CC and he purchased the extended warranty as well. There were rumors of them going out of business so we asked before we bought and the guy said, even if they did close down, the warranty company would handle anything that breaks. We didn't know then exactly how they operate. So if anything happens with his set, it'll be the same deal as ours probably. AND I have a Canon camera from there as well. ALSO, my little Sony camera just broke and hubs did get it at CC... FIGURES... but he's not sure if he purchased the extended plan because the camera was probably only upwards of 200 bucks at the time. So now I don't have my little pocket camera anymore either. Booo hooo hooo. Not a great month for electronic issues. LOL

    Jeanne, I DID watch LOST... still have the t.v. in our bedroom. Just have to try and not get so comfy that we fall asleep! LOL
    It was GOOD!!! I don't get alot of it either right now. But they are back on the island, maybe some of the time traveling is going to stop now, that was giving me a nose bleed! LOL
    I read on a blog that maybe Ben killed Penny, maybe why he was all bloody and beaten up looking. And that's why Desmond isn't done with the island. I wouldn't like that scenario but they have killed off characters before like that.

    SOOOOO many questions!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that sucks!! there was a segment on the news here in NJ about something similar to this - people bought bedroom set for their kid, set shows up scratched, bed is broken - store is out of business

    the TV station did eventually get them a full refund from the parent company

    this crappy economy is giving liars and crooks even more excuses to be what they are

    I think toshiba should still step up since it's not your fault the set is gone

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, that is just not right. Have you tried Costco? We recentlly purchased 2 TVs from there. The prices just keep getting better. I saw a 42" Vizio for only $699. We researched Vizio and found a lot of great reviews. That's why we now have two. Good luck fighting The Man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pisser!

    I just bought a new Toshiba lap top. When I was doing the standard check every store on the planet for price and deals, I walked into Circus City (as I liked to call them) to see what they had. All the "Great savings" liquidation signs were hanging everywhere, but the one sign that made me tuck tail and run was the following: "All Sales Final"

    There was no way in hell I was going to buy anything from those clowns when I knew I had no way of returning it if there was a problem later.

    It's nice to know Toshiba was willing to work with you, but crappy that the repair shop didn't give you the option of keeping the old set.

    ARRRGH!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!