Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Changes

A visit to a Cardiologist is never really fun, is it?  However, since I quite like and respect the one I chose years ago, my appointment the other day went as well as it could.  From the minute you call and speak with her office assistant it's a good experience.  No waiting for months to get in and they are very efficient.  Depending on the insurance one has (and I'm thankful to have a decent one) you get an echocardiogram on the first visit and the doctor does it herself!  She can see so many things by that one test and get right to the 'heart' of the matter.  ;)  
When I saw her a couple of years ago it turned out that my issues weren't heart related but because heart disease runs in my family I felt it was important to be evaluated.  My mother had some form of it.  Even though that's not what she died of, she was only 69 and her father died even younger.  My dad's sister had a 'silent' heart attack.  My dad's mother died of a heart attack on Christmas day.  
So since I started feeling a little wonky again lately I went back for a followup.  This time, functionally everything looked about the same, but she saw some plaque forming on a corotid artery.  :(    I have to get to the lab tomorrow or Friday for bloodtests and next week go for a stress test (also done in her office) and then we'll talk about what needs to be done.   Maybe nothing?  If my cholesterol is still good then it might be something that she watches for awhile.  My mother had high cholesterol but it wasn't really diet related.  Some people just produce more of it. 
However, on the chance my new issue is because of not paying enough attention to what I'm eating, I've decided to make a few changes on my own.  I do enjoy fruits, veggies, and grains.... but I've gotten lazy about food choices.

This morning I had a big bowl of Bob's Red Mill Rolled Oats with a splash of fat-free half & half, Wild Harvest organic Saigon cinnamon (no snarky comments please), and a sprinkling of raw sugar.   Totally DELISH! 
Lunch consisted of a half of a sandwich made with multi-grain bread, homemade chicken salad (breast meat, sweet onion, olive oil mayo, sea salt, pepper) and lettuce/tomato slices.  Wow, I enjoyed it so much that I had a whole one for dinner. 



I haven't quite gotten motivated enough just yet to get down to our basement and start exercising again, but I'm sure after I fail the stress test my doc will be suggesting it. LOL  I know, don't be negative, but I haven't walked a treadmill in a LONG TIME. We do have one though, and an exercise bike and free weights. 
Well, I suppose I can catch up on 'The Young and the Restless' if I start getting myself down there around 12:30 a few days a week, huh? 

Are you a good eater?  Do you like alot of fruits and veggies? 
How often do you exercise and what activity do you prefer the most?



7 comments:

  1. I struggle with weight every day of my life M. It is not easy. Many of the medications I take...weight gain is a side effect. Your foods today sound pretty good!! I do like to eat some fruits and salads, but breads and dairy are not really friends of mine. My health issues would take up an entire blog of their own!! Exercise...not good. I, too, have those items in my home...the treadmill...etc. Have I used them lately? No. Should I? Yes. I need to do better. It is very difficult to stay motivated...

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. J, my hubby says that once I start exercising again, my body will like it and it'll get easier. But that has never been true for me. LOL I have done assorted things over the years because of wanting to lose weight but it's always been just something I tolerate.
    When I notice on FB someone posting about a 2 hour spin class I think, OMG, no way!! Giving up 2+ hours to hang out with sweaty people, listening to techno music, feeling like I was going to puke any minute. Sounds like torture. And I'd want to hurt the cute and perky instructor 20 minutes in.
    Yeah, my best bet is to find something in the basement that I can get into again and distract myself with a movie or some 'good' music. ha!
    Oooh, I just remembered...there are people, the 'mall walkers', who go to our local shopping center before the stores open and do their exercise that way. Laps around the mall might be fun! There are mommy groups that go, and seniors, and if I remember correctly, a place in the food court opens early for those who want to buy coffee/tea/muffins afterwards. I think there's a juice/fruit place too. And hey, after I lose some weight, I can SHOP for new clothes. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, you're off to a good start. Changing the way you eat and being more aware is going to be hard but you'll see the benefits.

    I've been doing CrossFit for exercise. It's a bitch and I'm not anywhere near the point of being overjoyed about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The older I get the less exercise I can take, therefore I watch the diet. Hope everything goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Nitebyrd shared, I truly think you're off to a great start by simply changing the way you eat.

    And btw, that chicken salad sandwich looks HEAVENLY! Yum-my! I adore a good chicken salad sandwich.

    I try to watch what I eat, but I do indulge in everything (I just try and eat things in moderation). Living in a city I walk a lot (briskly), so that's become my form of exercise. Also, I do yoga a few times a week.

    And yes, I love fruits and veggies. And the only meat I really eat is chicken, except when I treat myself to a beef burger, once every couple of months.

    Have a super Thursday, M!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nitebyrd, never looked into CrossFit, I'm sure it's not easy. But if you chose it and decided to stick with it, then it must be the right thing for you. Go girl!

    Valerie, I saw on a website something called 'chair yoga' that looked interesting. Generally, I don't like exercising with others, but I'm going to keep that activity in mind. I'm sure there are dvd's... heck, I can probably just follow along on YouTube!


    Ron, I was just saying to hubby last night that I wasn't going to give alot up, just substitute certin things and lessen portions. Next week we are going to a birthday pizza party so I'll just plan accordingly. I'll eat light thru the day so that I can enjoy a slice, maybe take a salad with me too! I don't think that diets work when you totally give up things you love (unless there's an allergy or serious issue involved) but rather it should be like you said... eat in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, heart things run in my family as well. My dad is currently dealing with a failing heart valve. It's genetic, but his father didn't have a problem. Here's hoping that it skips a generation!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!