Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Eight Fears


1.  The process of death.   Watching both of my parents die from cancer and also a friend who suffered with it for over 10 years was difficult.   But it doesn't necessarily have to be cancer-related.  Another friend died after a botched surgery.  She went in for an exploratory procedure and the resident severed her vena cava.  She almost bled to death right there.  Actually, that might have been better.  The medical team stabilized her and did some additional surgery.  She was conscious enough afterwards to be told what happened and could give basic responses but then she went into a coma and never recovered.  She died after 13 days of horror in the hospital at only 30 years old, leaving two young children, a husband, and family to deal with the shock.
Hey, we will all die.  That I know.  But other than just going peacefully in our sleep, there are alot of scary scenarios involving death and I'm not looking forward to any of them.

2.  Losing my husband, kids, or grands.  Yeah, I guess we're back to that death thing again.  Seriously, I just want for us all to grow super old with no severe health problems and then sometime after the age of 80 we each can just decide for ourselves how and when to kick it. 

3.  Did I mention drowning or suffocation?   Hmm.... I see a theme here. 

4.  Public speaking.   Occasionally, I do home jewelry parties and have to stand up in front of people and talk.  It's always hard for me.  I can chat with anyone individually, or to a small group socially, but for business it's difficult. 

5.  Politics in our country.   Maybe it's more disgust than fear?  The current two-party system we have doesn't seem to be working very well.  I guess the fear comes in when I think about what things might be like when my grandchildren are older.  
It's not likely that I will ever vote Republican, but the Democrats have their own problems too and voters need more choices! 

6.  That one or two things from my past will come back to haunt me.  Okay, I didn't murder anyone or sleep with my husband's best friend or steal thousands of dollars from a children's charity, but we all have something that we'd rather forget, right? 

7.  Living in extreme poverty.   We live on just my husband's income in a small home and do not overextend ourselves with too many big purchases on credit.  We have some debt, but it is manageable.  For now, we're okay.  But seeing how so many have lost their jobs and homes, the future is not all that secure. 

8.  That you'll think I'm lame for not finishing today's challenge.  Coming up with 8 was a little tough.  I think the 'fears' should be switched with 'books' because I could certainly list 8 of them in no time! 

For links to those doing the 10 day challenge.... scan down to the previous post.  It's late, I'm tired, and I still have work to do for a craft event on Friday

Hope you all are having a sweet week.  :)    

10 comments:

  1. Public speaking used to put a big lump in my throat. I'm still a little nervous doing it now, but I've had just enough experience that it's better.

    Politics...it's pretty much a cluster f***. Both sides get into such a pissing contest it seems like nothing ever gets accomplished.

    #6 skeletons...ya, have some of those too.

    #8 Not at all. Some of these lists are harder to complete that they first appear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on all of these M! That whole public speaking thing...I had a boss who forced me to go to a Mgmt Training Seminar where I was forced to speak in front of people. I thought I was going to hyperventilate! Shortly thereafter I moved on to another job!! We've all got stuff we wish we didn't in our closets!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "4. Public speaking."

    It's funny, because for all the acting I've done onstage, public speaking scares the HELL out of me. Even to this day, I get scared whenever I have to speak in front of a large group of people.

    Have a super Thursday, neighbor!

    Wishing you a smashing success at your craft event on Friday!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most people can relate to all your 8, especially #6.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list, Mary! I almost drowned in the ocean when I was 22. Oddly enough, I'm over my fear of water but I've always had a fear of hearing footsteps behind me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand your fears of horrible-type deaths, Mary. The truth is that life is quite fragile, and bizarre scenarios like what happened to the young mother in the hospital do happen AND there is nothing we can do about that--a tough combination for sure. A close friend of my mother's--a priest--at around 40 or so--was out driving somewhere routine and was hit by a car and decapitated. I remember that because I was a young girl and it affected me so much. We never know when our last day is here on earth or that of our loved ones.

    I try to take this every day and live as though in some ways it could be my last day. Otherwise, I think I'd go crazy, taking it from the fear point of view. I think most people fear horrible deaths; I know I do!

    I agree that it's a great list, Mary. I've been busy with life stuff with my family member who just got out of rehab, but I read each of your posts and am glad you're blogging more! xoO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watching my mom die 4 weeks ago was terrible and now I fear that I am going to have to watch my papa (dad) die next. It frightens me so much. I can't even think about my children or fiancé dying.

    I love public speaking! I do!

    I am from Canada. It is no longer a great place to live. I used to be but politicians working with their own agenda and big business is destroying us.

    Skeletons. I am going to talk about them one day on my blog. If I turn and face them I figure they won't scare me so much.

    I have lived in extreme poverty. I still live well below the poverty line but I am doing OK. Today anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drowning is my greatest fear, and I darn near drowned one time surfing during a major winter swell. 12ft waves and I was caught in the crush zone. Scared me, but not enough to quit surfing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeff, maybe I need one of those public speaking classes. Although, I'm sure that requires getting up in front of the class and speaking so I know I wouldn't like it. haha

    Bichonpawz, For the jewelry parties, they are mostly casual, so I really only have to do a small presentation. Teaching Reiki will be more involved, a whole day or weekend class. OMG! But a few people have told me that once I know the material I want to present inside and out it gets much easier. And students are nervous too so we can just help each other.

    Akelamalu, yes, I think you are right. Some are more interesting than others though. ;)

    Jane, wow, that must have been scary! I never even thought about the footsteps but I guess that could be pretty weird depending on where it was.

    Olivia, Oh how awful to hear of your mom's friend. That must have been very hard on you all.

    I like that I'm blogging more too! It isn't always easy though because I have 3 blogs and a facebook page and the house doesn't clean itself. haha
    I'm glad to hear that your loved one is out of rehab now. I hope they'll be continued recovery and improvement. xo

    Birdie, I am so sorry to hear that your mom passed recently. I hope good memories of her will help comfort you in the weeks and months to come.
    I guess Canada has some of the problems we do then, huh?

    HT, that must have been a rough time but glad you didn't give it up. I can swim but never really liked water sports. I'll enjoy the beauty of the ocean from land, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was hard. I have two fears, that is it. A little funny, but after all the stuff I've done what can be that scary?

    http://traislinge.blogspot.com/2011/10/mary-says-eight-fears.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!