Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

October!

It was a beautiful day here in New Jersey. It might have gotten to just over 70 and this weekend's weather is to be sunny and warm too.  So the full splendor of Autumn isn't quite here, but it is getting much cooler in the evenings and early mornings. For that, I am grateful.  I love all of the seasons, but this one maybe just a bit more.

Next week is the Full Hunter's Moon.  A couple weeks after that... HALLOWEEN!  Our kids are grown now and not dressing up anymore, but the grands will be visiting their Mimi and Pop Pop for goodies!   Ooh, we can hardly wait!

Over the years, we've done assorted things during the season like haunted hay rides, corn field mazes, costume parties, the Cranberry Festival, etc. We've even been to see the Philadelphia Orchestra's seasonal show a few times. The musicians dress in costume and play themey music. This year, Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries' and Grieg's 'In the Hall of the Mountain King' are a couple of the classics they'll perform for any of you that are local and might be interested.  It's a good time!

One other thing we did a couple of years ago involved a prison.  Are you curious about that??

Well, go ahead ... take a look.  
Get right up to the screen. 

As Hannibal Lecter would say:
'Closer, please. Clo-ser...'

That's right, real close, take a peek inside.  What?  You still can't see anything?

 Oh alright, just click on the picture then.



Back in 1929, the famous gangster Alphonse 'Al' Capone spent some time (about 8 months of a 1 year sentence for a weapons charge) at Eastern State Penitentiary.  I read that he might have bribed the police so that he could go there to hide out from a rival gang member.  Whatever the case, it was quite obvious that he had better accommodations and privileges than the other prisoners.   Even though his cell and this one:


are only re-creations of how things might have looked back then, I don't think any of the prisoners who were sent there for penitence could have brought in oriental rugs and writing secretaries.  'Scarface' definitely had some connections.

ESP was opened in 1829.  It was not built just to punish criminals, but to attempt to guide them towards spiritual reflection and change.  It was a strict system and some argued that it was cruel to not allow the inmates much contact with each other or the outside world.  Initially, their cells opened to a private walled area for their exercise and they ate in their cells.   They really were alone. 

Eventually, as more prisoners needed to be housed, the design was changed and it became a congregant prison, abandoning the solitary system by 1913. 

It's final closing was in 1971 and sat abandoned for many years. 

Now, visitors can tour the 'preserved ruin' any day (except a few holidays) throughout the year.  There are couple history exhibits and art installations inside but mostly it's alot of peeling paint, crumbling plaster and old cells holding rusty beds and cabinets.  During the Fall season, 'Terror Behind the Walls' is their Halloween event.   We went on both the daytime tour and the nighttime scary show and they were both awesome.

Even though I posted some photos of ESP on my blog before and have an album on FB, there might be a few of you who have never seen what a neat old place it is so I may be putting another post up again soon.  I know you can't wait.  ;)  

Have a great weekend!!! 

11 comments:

  1. "As Hannibal Lecter would say:
    'Closer, please. Clo-ser...'

    That's right, real close, take a peek inside. What? You still can't see anything?"

    HAHAHAHAHHA! Yes, I did click on the photo and it was faaaaaaabulous!

    I remember you sharing about Terror Behind the Walls last year and loving it! Can you believe I STILL haven't gone there yet?

    And aren't you just lovin' this nice fallish weather we're having right now? The days are mild and the nights are nice a cool. Great sleeping weather. I had off today, so I walked around the city and just enjoyed this weather.

    I agree, this is my favorite season too.

    Have a super weekend, M! I hear it's suppose to get a bit warmer though :(

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron, you should definitely go! It's probably a bit of a respiratory nightmare with all that crumbling paint and plaster and the dampness when it rains. LOL OH but it's so fun.

    I'm glad you enjoyed your day off. A walk around Philly on a beautiful Fall day... how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting post. The cell was a tad luxurious compared to certain others I've seen ... as a visitor, you understand! We don't get much celebration for Hallowe'en where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surely you were allowed a table... even in the prohibition era?

    Hey howzit going Mary. Sorry I've not been round too much I had a manic-depressive type breakdown and everything went pear-shaped as we say over here...

    ... Hey ave you seen any Prisoner Cell Block H of late? I was thinking of that show the other day and thought of you....

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my freakin god!!! I LOVE this post!!
    Love the pics!!!
    This is my favourite time of year and anticipatipating Halloween too!
    *"it puts the lotion on or it gets the hose" LOL - happy glorious sunshiney weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valerie, Ooh, I certainly hope you were only visiting. ;)
    Halloween is one of those days where some go all out celebrating, and others pay it no mind at all. We usually get alot of trick-or-treaters. It's fun to see all the costumes. Adults even dress up.

    Gledwood, Welcome back, good to hear from you! I'm sorry you've had a rough time of it. Hoping your on the mend now. I'll stop by your blog for a visit.
    I never did get the DVD's of that show. There's one for sale on Amazon that comes with a few discs but is only random episodes. I seem to remember doing a search awhile ago, maybe when we were talking about it before, and not finding a complete collection. Don't remember why now. I'll have to look again. I didn't watch all of the seasons, we probably only got a couple here in the U.S. anyway, but it was a fun show. Thanks for thinking of me. :)

    Boho mom, 'I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti' ... love that movie! Omg, I remember seeing it in the theater. When Lecter is standing in the cell when Clarice first meets him. Chilling!
    More pics of ESP to come.
    Enjoy your weekend too, I'll pop over for a visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only prison I've ever toured is Alcatraz. I'm betting this one is every bit as interesting.

    Ya, Capone definitely had some pull getting those kind of accommodations. Not exactly the Beverly Hillton, but for a prison cell...not bad.

    Very cool post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeff, long time no see! I was in San Fran a LONG time ago and wanted to tour Alcatraz. It kept getting put off and finally on the last day we tried to get tickets and it was sold out. All I got was a choppy trip out in the bay and a few pictures from a distance.
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pics! That second pic looks like there could still be a body hiding underneath the mattress! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hannibal is CREEPY!!! Creepy I tell ya!!! Wish you lived closer to M...you would have loved the wine fest! Hope you had a great weekend...can't beat the weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HT, alot of people think ESP is haunted. I don't doubt it.

    Jeanne, we have many wineries down here but I don't get to go too often. However, a couple local liquor stores carry a few of the brands. Jersey red is GOOD!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!