We've seen the light show at Macy's in Philadelphia before but when we were in the city on Christmas Eve we caught part of it again.
The Cratchit family scene in the Dickens Village display at Macy's.
Santa! Yes, I got my picture taken with him. No, I'm not posting it here. It's bad enough I put it on FB.
And another ...
And another ...
And another ...
And yet another ...
Way back when my son was a wee little guy, he made us this Christmas ornament in school.
An old ornament from when my husband was young.
Our first Christmas together, 1983.
Since I usually have a theme color going on our big tree in the living room, I'm now using this skinny pine tree to hold our special ornaments.
Our dog Rev was feeling festive for the New Year.
Ollie thinks he's a glamorous Hollywood star.
Gift cards for Bahama Breeze are always appreciated by us. The onion ring appetizer... yummy! Mojitos with fresh mint... EVEN YUMMIER!
A quick drawing my grandson did for me. :)
Greta can usually be found in the bathroom next to the heat vent but the one in the kitchen is bigger and since the recycle box hadn't gone out yet she could hide inside while getting warm and take swipes at anyone foolish enough to walk by.
While hanging out in the bedroom one day, Ron put a knit hat on Ollie and I thought it was so cute so I ran to get the camera. Why I ended up taking pictures of the ceiling, I have no idea. But what was weird was seeing all the orbs when I uploaded the pictures.
So what do you think, are orbs just assorted airborne particles captured at the time of the flash? Maybe they are spirits of the dead or nature spirits? I'd like to think they are something from the ethereal world but we do have a whole lot of dust in our house so I guess that explanation makes more sense.
On New Year's Eve we had a few friends over. One of them totally gets into fireworks. Since the houses in our neighborhood are pretty close together he wasn't able to put on a big display like he does with the club he belongs to, but he did light a few to celebrate at midnight. Of course my camera was not on the firework setting so it really just looks like our lawn was on fire. I'll blame that on either one of the two strawberry dacquiri's I had, or maybe it was the Beaujolais wine, or it could have been the champagne at midnight.
Our pyrotechnician assured us that all was well and we just enjoyed the mini show.
My girlfriend ready and willing to enjoy a Hap Hap HAPPY New Year!
While out looking for something at a local craft store a few days ago, I found this cross ornament. It was on the clearance rack for under $3.00. I think it's beautiful and will probably keep it out all year. And actually, it now seems quite fitting because of the next picture and story.
I've been cleaning and organizing my craft room lately. Wow, did it need it!! Today, I came across a box from an order I'd placed with a company in Jerusalem that sold olive wood beads and other items. This was a rosary I made for my husband years ago.
He kept them in his truck for awhile and then I must have asked to use them as a guide for some other rosaries that a few people had ordered and I forgot to give them back. Since he's not a practicing Catholic and wasn't when he was saying the Rosary either (it was just one part of the religion that he liked at one time), that they got put aside is not a big deal but what was interesting about my coming across them was that today at work he put in a request with ... God. Lately, he's been feeling frustrated with a few things, his spirituality included I guess, and he asked for a sign. After I found the rosary beads, I took a couple pictures and then put them on his desk.
When I called him this afternoon and mentioned that I had found them, it was then he told me about asking for the sign. What else that's interesting is that last night I was putting something up on the wall in my craft room and had to move the plastic rosary that hung in the space I wanted. They were a set that was given to us right before our son went in for a surgery many years ago by a religious patient or family member in the holding area and were still in his bedroom when I took it over as my craft room and he moved upstairs. I didn't want to just throw them in a drawer so I hung them on the closet door. The closet is my husband's since I don't need it for craft supplies. And one other thing... a few days ago I saw a set of rosary centerpieces on Nitebyrd's Etsy page and bought them without having any specific reason for doing so. I just thought they might be something I could incorporate into future jewelry creations.
Curious and interesting, yes I think so.
I hope you are all enjoying a nice beginning to 2012. If you make resolutions, feel free to share one here. Or maybe you chose a personal word of the year? I don't do resolutions but do have a word that I'll work with this year, but since I'll be needing another topic for a future blog post, I'll tell you about it later.

























That's one stern looking Santa! ;-)
ReplyDeleteAnd as for fireworks, I've always enjoyed lighting them more than going to a fireworks show, but I guess that's the kid in me talking. Heh...
Happy New Year!
I was thinking Santa looked a little miffed too! ha ha The cat looks angry too but all cats are pretty cranky anyway. What is it with cats and boxes?
ReplyDeleteI love the picture. The one of your son is adorable. I love the old handmade by kids ornaments the best.
I went to bed at 9:30 on New Year's eve because I had to be up and start work at 7:00 so I enjoyed looking at your pictures.
Spirits? Maybe. I mean, why not.
Happy New Year, M!!!!
ReplyDeleteFaaaaaabulous photos!
OMG...I remember being a kid and watching that Christmas light show (when the store was John Wannamaker) and LOVING IT! Back then it had water fountains and a curtain that went up when the show started!
Wonderful story about the cross. Ooooo...I got chills when I read it. Those rosary beads you made are STUNNING! You are sooooo talented!
Sounds like you and your friends had a great New Years Eve.
I LOVED this part....
"I'll blame that on either one of the two strawberry dacquiri's I had, or maybe it was the Beaujolais wine, or it could have been the champagne at midnight."
HAHAHAHAHHAHA! Too funny!
Wishing you health, prosperity, and much love in 2012!
Thanks for being here, dear friend!
(((( You ))))
X
HI, Mary,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment on my blog and wishing you much UNITY this year, interested in seeing just what that will mean to you.
I like your holiday pictures, especially the special ornaments...and everyone looks so happy!
Peace and love, xoO
Special ornaments are the BEST!! I do believe that everything, EVERYTHING, happens for a reason! There is a reason for those rosaries. Blessings to both you and your husband for the new year!!! xoxo
ReplyDeleteJeanne
Love all your special ornaments and that Cross is just lovely! I definitely think it's a sign for your hubby that you found his rosary.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year m'deraio. x
Lovely Christmassy pictures and, coming from where I do, I particularly the Dickens scene. Happy New Year.
ReplyDeleteLove the photos, Mary! I like the story about the rosary too. I have my grandmother's sterling silver rosary and it is one of my most special possessions ever! Happy New Year. Looking forward to a new year of blogging with you :)
ReplyDeleteHT, I've been to shows but I don't really get into it too much. There was an accident at a 4th of July show here many years ago so that turned me off on them even more.
ReplyDeleteBirdie, Greta has never been a real friendly cat.
I love those ornaments too. :)
And I still have a Valentine heart hanging on my fridge that my son made in grade school.
Ron, I only remember going to the Gallery on the train maybe once or twice with my mom and I was older. We didn't go to the city EVER as kids. That must have been so magical to see that show when young.
Thanks for the compliment. I sold them years ago so maybe I should get back into that again?
Olivia, thank you. I'm glad you're back to your blog so I'll look forward to coming by again. We did have a nice Christmas and got to have family and friends over during the season so I'm happy about that.
Jeanne, I love the special ornaments too but our tree is fairly large so they tend to get a little lost on it. I like doing that one in more of a theme color. So the pine tree is perfect because it gives people a chance to actually look at them.
Thank you, we've both been struggling a bit with things so the rosary does seem to hold some significance.
Pearl, I have a large crucifix that sits on a shelf next to the flag that the Navy presented me when my dad died and another one that is purple with gold trim that I keep in the living room since it's purple. When I saw the rack of burgundy ones on clearance I was instantly drawn to them.
Valerie, thank you. I would love to visit the UK sometime and take a very extended tour!! So many wonderful things to see I'm sure.
Jane, since I was only baptized Catholic but never brought up in that religion, I was never given instruction on how to use or say the Rosary. I remember you mentioning your grandmother's rosary before. How nice that you have it. :)