Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Just to fool you into thinking I'm back to regular posting....

What hubby is reading.....

I guess 'Peanuts' being in the higher position and more easily reached from the toilet is winning out over the one where he could potentially find out some evidence of the afterlife.  Please don't ever let him loan you a book. You've seen where his have been.

My latest read is tucked nicely into my purse.  Along with the latest Lenny cd, which is fabulous btw!   Here's a little sample of Super Love for your listening pleasure.
 

Back to the book... it's called 'The Expected One' by Kathleen McGowan.

Two thousand years ago, Mary Magdalene hid a set of scrolls in the rocky foothills of the French Pyrenees, a gospel that contained her own version of the events and characters of the New Testament. Protected by supernatural forces, these sacred scrolls could be uncovered only by a special seeker, one who fulfills the ancient prophecy of l'attendue -- The Expected One.
When journalist Maureen Pascal begins the research for a new book, she has no idea that she is stepping into an ancient mystery so secret, so revolutionary, that thousands of people have killed and died for it. She becomes deeply immersed in the mystical cultures of southwest France as the eerie prophecy of The Expected One casts a shadow over her life and work and a long-buried family secret comes to light.
Maureen's extraordinary journey takes her from the dusty streets of Jerusalem to the cathedrals of Paris . . . and ultimately to search for the scrolls themselves. She must unravel clues that link history's great artistic masters, including Sandro Botticelli, Nicolas Poussin, and Jean Cocteau; the Medici, Bourbon, and Borgia dynasties; and great scientific minds like Leonardo da Vinci and Isaac Newton. Ultimately, she, and the reader, come face-to-face with Jesus Christ, Mary Magdalene, John the Baptist, Judas, and Salome in the pages of a deeply moving and powerful new gospel, the life of Jesus as told by Mary Magdalene.


If you enjoy reading, what has your attention lately?   Do you have an all-time favorite book or author?  I know some of you are into e-readers and if so, what do you like the most/least about the one you have. 


12 comments:

  1. I have sooo many faves....Poisonwood Bible is probably at the top for fiction. I love anything by Joanne Harris or Wally Lamb. For nonfiction, AJ Jacobs books are a hoot, but my all time fave is David Sedaris. He's absolutely wicked!

    I can't get into books on tape or e-readers! I like the feel of a book in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. 'The Outlander' series is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Please don't ever let him loan you a book. You've seen where his have been."

    Bwhahahahahahahahaha! That CRACKED ME UP!!!

    Hey, the book you're reading sounds AWESOME. I will look for it in B&N.

    Honestly, outside of my I LOVE LUCY book that my brother gave me for Christmas, I haven't read anything in a while. However, my favorite 'type' books are biographical or autobiographical.

    Have a super weekend, neighbor!

    How about all this WIND we're getting today - Whew!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with Ron on this one...I like biographical or autobios! I also love my KINDLE! I have the Kindle app loaded on my ipad and phone so I can read anywhere...I'm in the middle of reading about five different books right now! Then, I forget things and have to go back and start over!! That is the silliest picture you put up there!!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have bought a Kindle recently and absoslutely love it. It's already loaded with some of my favourite authors - Val McDermid, Jeffery Deaver, Chelsea Cain and Meg Gardiner. Can't beat a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am currently reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" as I have an obsession with reading books that have been turned into films.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All time favorite authors (short & incomplete list):

    Stephen King
    Neal Stephenson
    Douglas Adams
    Chuck Palahniuk
    Hunter S. Thompson
    Elmore Leonard
    Larry Niven

    Book that currently has me in its grip: Robopocalypse (I can't put this thing down!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a good book! I just got bitten by the reading bug again and wouldn't you know...two libraries near me are closed for major renovations...we're talking maybe 2013 opening date if we're lucky. Help me understand this...there are so many people who need financial assistance due to this horrid economy and our township is choosing to spend millions of dollars on ripping down and reconstructing libraries. There was not a thing wrong with the old ones. Last night I dug through our moving boxes and found books that my daughter no longer wants so I'm working through her pile of teen novels. Miss Perogrine's School for Peculiar Children is the book I started last night. So far, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very fond of books, but when I bring them home from the public library, I wonder where they have been and what has touched them. I am becoming a germaphobe. I just finished Taken by Robert Crais. I'm eager to read Vince Flynn's latest as soon as my number comes up at the library on the reserve list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bijoux, since Joanne Harris wrote 'Chocolat', I'm sure she's awesome! (Love that movie!) I have on order 'The Girl With No Shadow' which is the sequel. I first asked for 'The Lollipop Shoes' which was the title of the book in the UK and the clerk at Barnes looked at me like I was weird. lol
    I think I'll check out 'Poisonwood Bible' after I catch up on a few that are on my waiting list.

    Ron, I like biographies and autobiographies too. Read the Steven Tyler one awhile ago and it was great. Amazing he's still alive!

    Jeanne, me too! Don't have any of those gadgets. My daughter likes her iPad alot. My son has the iPhone but I'm still living in the past with regular books and an old flip phone. haha

    Akelamalu, glad you are enjoying it so much. I might have read something by Deaver but didn't know the others.
    Happy reading!

    Cestlavie22, haven't read that one or seen the movie but heard both were very good. Enjoy!

    HT, King is brilliant! I haven't read everything he's written but have read more of him than any other author. Haven't started 11/22/63 yet but it's waiting!

    Jane, I looked thru that one at the bookstore not too long ago. There are some odd and interesting photos in it.
    Shame your local libraries are closed for now. :( We have one nearby but it's very small. Thank goodness I still have some $$ to spend from time to time on books so I go to Barnes and Noble. They send some coupons out in email and the member discount gives a little off too.

    RJ, at first I thought the movie 'Taken' with Liam Neeson was from the book you're reading, but when I looked it up I found they are totally different. The Crais book got really good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  11. right now I'm reading one of Jackie Collin's books, I do enjoy her
    I have Carrie Fisher's latest 'shockaholic' and the Steve Jobs bio waiting in the wings

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'Girl With No Shadow' is fantastic!!!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!