Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Miscellaneous meandering ...

Happy Groundhog Day!  The report is that Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow and we'll be getting 6 more weeks of winter.  Doesn't seem that we've had much of a winter around here yet so I'm okay with that.  Yesterday was in the 60's.  I don't care for too much snow, but in February it should be COLD!

The other day was my mom's birthday.  She has been gone a long time so only the memories remain.  I'm glad to still have some old photographs too.  This one sits on a shelf in our living room.  It's not dated so I don't know exactly when it was taken but my parents were definitely young.  They might not have even been married yet.   Weren't they a cute couple?

Speaking of old memories.... the creator and host of 'Soul Train', Don Cornelius, died yesterday.  When I read the story I remembered watching that show.  If you grew up in the 70's I don't know how you could have missed seeing it.  I was a little envious of some of those Soul Train dancers on the line.  Damn, they had rhythm.   The show had an awesome list of guest performers too.



Since Valentine's Day is right around the corner, I want to show a few of my handmade greeting cards.   Seems I'm in good company since Valerie also makes cards, as does Jeanne




I guess you could say that I have an obsession for paper.  I have a really hard time going into a craft store and NOT buying atleast a couple sheets. 

  
Our sweet Ollie.  He's a Vizsla.  He's older now, and his pretty golden rust color hair is turning white in many areas.   They are snuggly dogs and love blankets.  As soon as hubby leaves for work in the morning, Ollie takes his spot.  Even though we are not planning to get any more pets (we still have 2 dogs and a Greta) if we were going to get one I would chose another Vizsla.  They are wonderful.  

So that's quite an assortment for you to take in all at one time, huh?!? 


13 comments:

  1. I love looking at picture of my mom and dad when they were young. Your mom was beautiful.

    Your cards are so nice! What a treat it must be to receive one.

    Poor old dog. He looks like he must have a lot of wisdom but he is just too tuckered out to share it.

    And a Greta. ha ha Have you seen the posts on cats and breading? Try googling it. There is so much fun to be had at the expense of our cats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what to comment on! What a nice photo of your parents! Your Valentine's cards are just gorgeous; I think the last one is sexy! And I do remember Soul Train. Nothing says the '70s like that show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying the weather we have now so I can exercise outdoors. I hear that Denver is going to be snowed under today and I don't look forward to that if indeed, we even have any snow this year. I don't know if the groundhog knows anything or is just too sleepy to care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard Sonny and Cher on WXPN this morning and my boss reminded me that it was the song playing on the radio every time Bill Murray's alarm went off every morning in Groundhog Day :)

    I love the photo of your parents! Strange that I posted this afternoon a photo of my favorite sailor doll that belonged to my grandparents. Go check it out...you'll see :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you know me...I'm happy to hear we'll be having six more weeks of winter because this has been the wimpiest winter ever. I know I'm in the MAJOR minority, but I would love to see some snow before the season is over. I can't believe how HOT it was yesterday - like summer! Yet, today, we got that nice crisp chill in the air. Yahooooo!

    Gorgeous photo of your mom and dad. I LOVE looking at old photos. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY to you mom!

    Mary, those cards are absolutely WONDERFUL!!! They're like a work of art. Such a talented lady you are!

    Hope you're enjoying a great week, neighbor! So nice to see that posted today!!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, where do I start?

    First off, the picture of your parents definitely shows a cute couple. I don't have any pictures of my parents at around that age.

    I adore your Ollie. He looks a real sweetie. I'm a dog lover too but mine have all gone now. Sad. By the way, what is a Greta?

    As for your valentine cards, they're great, if I had to choose one it would be the one with black lace. Incredible.

    I know what you mean about buying paper, I'm a sucker for shops that sell giftwrap.

    I think I've covered everything except the weather. It's bitterly cold in the UK so I think I'll get back to the fire. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is like one of my posts M! Yes, your parents were a beautiful couple! Your cards are awesome! Love them!! Don't even get me started on PAPER. I have an entire ROOM full of paper...yet, I still have to buy new paper when I see it. I really should just start giving it away! It's been so warm here, it doesn't even feel like winter! Have a great weekend!!
    xo
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely photograph of your Mum & Dad!

    Your cards are so beautiful Mary, you're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your Mom was beautiful, what a smile, that photo is a treasure

    love the Soul Train clip :)
    ya know I loved Don Cornelius

    Ollie looks like a sweet fellow

    ReplyDelete
  10. Birdie, I have one of her in a cadet uniform when she was a nurse many, many years ago. It's old, faded, ripped and bent but I love it. I was able to fix it up some in the photo program though. :)
    Cardmaking is a passion of mine, that's for sure. If you'de like to share your address with me, I'd be happy to send you one. xo

    Bijoux, thank you! They had just had their 45th anniversary the month before my mom died. Luckily, we had thrown them a big party for their 40th.
    I think the last card is sexy too!

    RJ, a girlfriend of mine lives in CO and she had 28 inches of snow this morning and due to get more. Bleh! Another friend told me that the Almanac said we'd get quite a bit later this month. We'll see...

    Jane, haven't seen that movie in years! I noticed it was on yesterday though while scanning the guide. Sonny and Cher were very cool!
    I loved the sailor doll. :)

    Ron, even though it wasn't really cold the other day I still wore a long sleeve shirt and a light fleece jacket because it IS February. Just because it wasn't freezing out didn't make me want to break out the flip flops ya know?! I actually saw someone wearing a pair that day.
    Thanks for the bd wishes and the compliments. {{hugs}}

    Val, I'm so lucky to have those old pictures. I also have a scrapbook full of their old greeting cards, maybe from when I was born. Ah... I need to go get that out because I'm sure there was a Valentine one in it from my dad to my mom.
    Greta is our cat. Sometimes I call her 'reGreta' because I'd like to send her right back to the streets of Philadelphia when she acts up. LOL Hubby rescued her as a tiny kitten so you'de think she would be happier to have a warm home and lots to eat. Nah, she's quite a brat.

    Jeanne, thanks! We could be sisters! I have seen some of your creations, so I know about your craft store obsessions. It's wonderful though. And keeps us out of other trouble, right?! ha!

    Akelamalu, thank you! I have some other nice photos that I will hopefully post another time.
    You know I love the cardmaking, glad it's appreciated.

    Dianne, many thanks! She didn't much like her picture taken but she had a nice smile and a good laugh. I miss her so.
    Don was cool. I don't know what happened in those end years, seems he had difficulties, but all is well now. Wishing YOU... peace, love, and SOUL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those cards are absolutely adorable! I plan to share a Valentines craft this year too but definitely it did not come out half as adorable as some of your cards thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, cestlavie22! They are alot of fun to make. The selection of paper and embellishments available is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are *awesome* cards! Heh...and it's nice to see that there are others with creative addictions! At least you keep yours well organized :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!