Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Boring, weird, or FUN?!

One of the things we like to do sometimes after Ron gets home from work is play Yahtzee.  We might not play for months and then get back into it for awhile.  The full sheet gets played as one big game and the total score determines the winner.  
I had the first Yahtzee the other day.  I won that game, and the one yesterday, too.  Luck or skill?  He says I use witchcraft.  haha! 
If you think Yahtzee is boring... oh, think again!  Sometimes, I put out quite a nice little snack spread for our game.  I picked assorted speciality rolls at Wegmans and a nice woman in the bakery department sliced and individually bagged them.  In the cheese department I asked for smaller packages of blue, pepper, and provolone and they were happy to comply.  A few gourmet olives and balsamic onions, sliced strawberries, red/green grapes, and a dip of  hemp and extra virgin olive oils with spices from our garden (spicy oregano, thyme, rosemary) and grated cheese.  Yeah, I don't fool around when it comes to game snacks! 
We don't always drink alcohol.  Sometimes we're just as happy to have coffee, tea, or cocoa.  Lately, we've been enjoying a couple adult beverages.  ;)   He had beer yesterday, but we both like this wine.  OH.EM.GEE ... if ya like red... and you can find Apothic Dark (limited release from last year) TRY IT!  Mmm... I'm thinking about it now and it's only 10:30 in the morning.  hehe
From the label on the bottle:
There's a romance in darkness, it draws our curiosity and beckons a desire to taste the unknown.  This limited release blends dark fruit flavors of blueberry and blackberry with opulent notes of coffee and dark chocolate for a rich, yet silky smooth, wine experience. 

I think I posted this photo a long time ago, but here it is again.  Just to say that we have always liked 'game' fun.  Murder Mysteries were all the rage years ago, but I'd maybe host another one.  We have some friends who would enjoy participating.  It's just a little more involved than having a quick get together because to do it up right you have to have theme food, costumes, and some decorations.
We went wayyy out for this one sometime back in '94 or '95.  It was supposed to be at a Malt Shop, so I got busy with poster board and other props.  Totally fun!  


What's something interesting or different that you do for fun??

10 comments:

  1. I have no idea what Yahtzee and for fun? My husband and I argue about CAT-5 cable wiring LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I've never played Yahtzee. It's been around for years, but I just never got around to checking it out.

    It sure sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun with it. And I love those Murder Mystery photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes in the winter we play Scrabble. We just got a Backgammon board (2nd hand) and are going to give that a try.

    I think the food makes is more fun! We usually just have a bag of chips or some popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "A few gourmet olives and balsamic onions, sliced strawberries, red/green grapes, and a dip of hemp and extra virgin olive oils with spices from our garden (spicy oregano, thyme, rosemary) and grated cheese. Yeah, I don't fool around when it comes to game snacks!"

    You aren't kidding, Mary. That is one faaaaaabulous looking and tasty snack. YUM-MY! I could make a meal out of that.

    Thanks for mentioning the Apothic Dark because I am a HUGE fan of Apothic Red wine and had no idea of the limited release. I will look for it in the wine store tomorrow.

    LOVE the photos of you and Ron!

    Do you know what I love to do on a gray, rainy fall day? COLOR. I have a coloring book and crayons, I kid you not!

    Hope you're enjoying this delightfully cool weather we're having.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of Yahtzee,or some of the snack ingredients, or the Apothic Dark, but I love the description of the latter. 'There's a romance in darkness, it draws our curiosity and beckons a desire to taste the unknown.' Oh Wow!

    I love games but have to choose those I can play alone... how sad is that... smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son loved Yahtzee growing up, but honestly, the dice in the cup give me a headache! LOL! Otherwise, it's a fun game.

    I love all your snack food. I could eat olives at every meal. We do sometimes play backgammon, Scrabble, or Trivial Pursuit on a Friday night in the winter. We always do drink alcohol though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always enjoyed playing Yahtzee but I can see that I wasn't playing correctly. I never had all those snacks. I may need to make a trip to the store and pull out the game and give it another try :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We go in spurts, sometimes it's doing a puzzle together, sometimes it's scrabble, sometimes it's, um, grown up things. Lol! Your snack spread makes me think I need to up my game in the snack department!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Yahtzee. I used to have a set of friends I did game night with, but it kind of dissolved when the kids started arriving.

    Love Apothic Dark.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grace, CAT-5 cable wiring?? Yikes! I never even really understood how to set the DVD player up to record a show. I'm a bit behind with technical stuff. Five dice and a cup is more my speed. ha!

    Rob, never played Yahtzee? Well, I think you should try it one of these days. :) As Bijoux mentioned, the noise is sometimes bothersome shaking dice in a plastic cup, but trying to get all the combinations is fun. Ones, twos, threes, etc. Full House, Large Straight, etc.

    Birdie, mmm chips...mmm popcorn! We used to play Backgammon all the time. I don't know if we still have the set or not. If not, I think we need to get another one. That was a fun game. And Scrabble, too. Ron just mentioned it last night so we'll be getting our board out soon. I win more at Yahtzee, but he does better with Scrabble.

    Ron, I haven't tried the other Apothic wines, but I guess I'll have to now since I like 'dark' so much. I could easily make a meal out of snacks. Ron's more a meat/potato/veggie guy though.
    I color with my grands! I used to love coloring years ago. And in a craft store some months back they had a sale on Crayola and I almost got myself a pack and a coloring book but must have got distracted in the bead isle and never got back to pick something out. Next time!

    Valerie, we used to play games as kids. My mom never really got into them, but my dad would play. I played them as a teenager, too. And after Ron and I got married we also played something. Either just us, or with friends over. For New Year's Eve the last few years we've done 'game night'.
    I like the solitary ones, too. Candy Crush on FB. Used to play solitaire and other ones.

    Bijoux, I know what you mean about the noise. Shakeshakeshake.... gah!! Sometimes I put my hand over the cup and then try to roll the dice out gently. Lately, our dice have been 'wonky'... we play soooo much sometimes that I think they get magnetized or something. We'll go to roll them out and they jump or almost connect together. Weird. I try to wash them, clean the cup, etc. Seems like it works itself out after awhile though.
    Loved all those other games you mentioned!

    Ann, sometimes we just play and don't go all out with the food, but I think we're fattening up for a long, cold winter now! LOL We played yesterday, I had a pint of Chinese takeout, and I made Ron broiled cheese/onion/tomato sandwiches since he still has some maters from his garden.

    Heartinhand, Oh, we've done a lot of puzzles, too! After my mom died, my dad liked them. He glued some of his together. I think we did too, not sure if we still have any. There might be one under the couch. LOL Finding the room to put a big one together is hard these days. I can't even see half my dining room table right now for all the papers and other mess.
    Grown up things... hehe. Yeah, I hear ya! ;)

    Secret Agent Woman, we were the first to marry and have a baby in our group so we had company over a lot when our daughter was young. We couldn't really afford to go out so we hosted. The snacks were obviously not so plentiful then either. We played assorted board games, and we loved Pinochle!! Even had a tournament with our friends.
    Apothic Dark! Yes! I have to find something else similar for when the 'special reserve' is gone.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!