Pages

Monday, September 15, 2014

Vegetables, jewelry, lizards, and gravestones

More goodness from the garden.  Many of the plants are dying off and it's looking pretty weedy out there, but still producing ... for that we are grateful.  I can't eat any of these peppers, not without my gastro specialist and pain meds nearby, but I do love the colors.  I couldn't find the picture I took of one of Ron's ghost peppers.  They are like 400 times hotter than tabasco.  NO thank you!   


 The latest batch of 'maters.  They are smaller and coming in less quantity but still delicious. 

Ron roasted veggies yesterday and made soup.  
 Butternut squash bisque to be exact. 
It was divine.  He doesn't always have the time or inclination to get busy in the kitchen, but when he does.... WOW!

This is the bling dragonfly set all finished.  
 New awareness ribbon earrings.
 My daughter asked to make Halloween earrings for her.  This is one design I came up with. 

Off to the Wharton State Forest every chance we get.  Behind the old cemetery in Batsto we saw tree lizards.  In all the years we've been going there we've never seen them hanging out.  
 Yes, of course we walk around that cemetery.  Quite a few very old graves there.  This man died in 1807.

 This lizard seemed to like being there too. 
 

We used to have an iguana.  Her name was Cupid.  Ron gave her to me for Valentine's Day.  Why?  I don't know.  He said I expressed interested in one.  It was cute at first, then it started to grow...and needed a bigger tank.  And it got nasty, too.  Used to whip it's tail around when we'd try to get it out for cleaning or just to hang out.  You've seen iguanas sitting on people's shoulders and being walked on leashes.  Eh, ours wasn't into any of that.  So we gave it up for adoption to someone that had a room dedicated to them.  I've got enough to deal with having 2 dogs and a Greta.  No more exotic animals for me.  

Anything exciting going on with you this week?

8 comments:

  1. I love those earrings!!!
    That soup looks to die for!
    My flowers have all been frozen. Nothing left. Winter is coming.
    I'm planning. And scheduling. And I'm tired of my holiday already and it's a month away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butternut squash soup is one of my favorites.

    I think there is something about old cemeteries that is so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the old cemetery too. Your jewelry is pretty, but I don't have pierced ears, so no earrings for me!

    I'm just working on seating for the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "They are like 400 times hotter than tabasco. NO thank you!"

    I'm the same way, Mary. I don't like anything too spicy or hot. I love Mexican food, but it has to be mild.

    " Butternut squash bisque to be exact"

    Okay...to DIE FOR! OMG...I adore Butter nut squash soup! And the photographs of the preparation and the final outcome made my mouth water! DIVINE is right!

    As always, your jewelry is just beautiful. And I am so loving those dragonfly earrings (having had one visit me this summer). And the Halloween ones are sooooooo cute!

    Great photo of the lizard. Having lived in Florida, lizards are something you see a lot of. I think they're so precious.

    Fabs shot of the cemetary. If you ever come to Philly, I will take you and Ron to some of the most incredible cemetaries. They are so old and beautiful. And they are primarily in the Society Hill area.

    Have a super week, my friend!

    X

    P.S. Isn't the weather fabulous?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, the days have gone when I could eat hot peppers. I wonder, Mary, would Ron consider being loaned out for a short spell of cooking duties? Just asking!

    Fancy walking an iguana... I never heard of that before. How nice, though.

    Love the earrings... you really are a clever girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heartinhand, many thanks! I think I'm a wee bit jealous... soup is one of my specialities and now Ron just made one I've never even considered and on his first try.. perfection! We all enjoyed it.
    OH, I wish I had a plan and a schedule. *sigh*

    Secret Agent Woman, we've probably had that soup out somewhere but never homemade... well, 'til now.
    Personally, I don't want my remains to be kept in a cemetery. And I very rarely visit my parents' graves. We do, however, like to wander around the really old cemeteries.

    Bijoux, thanks! I don't wear earrings either, can you believe it? LOL I had pierced mine years ago but the holes just kept getting infected so I let them close. I keep saying I'm going to try again just on the chance they'd be okay all these years later so that I can actually wear some of my own earrings, but so far I haven't.
    Wedding plans... exciting!

    Ron, it's weird that I can have some hot things... like horseradish and even some crushed red pepper but a green pepper or jalepeno, NO!
    What's even weirder is that I made Indian food a couple times recently (pre-made with the spices already in there) and it didn't bother me but Ron had some issues. Then I used a Moroccan spice blend in a pot of chili last week and, again, Ron had trouble with it. Yet he can eat a ghost pepper. lol On the side of spaghetti, and some other meals, he'll keep a handful of something he's grown nearby and with every few bites he'll crunch on the peppers. To each his own, right?
    OH, I love those bling dragonflies! Wish I could wear earrings. The charms were a new find so I hope they are popular with the jewelry wearing crowd!

    Valerie, thank you. I use those cute alphabet beads sometimes and love how whimsical they are. I make LOL and OMG and PHILS (for our MLB team). And others.
    Hey, if it'll get us over to see your lovely country, YES, he'll come cook for you. ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, love the awareness earrings! And the Halloween ones, too!

    Maybe our Florida lizards are moving north. I never remember seeing lizards in NY. Iguanas are now a huge problem here, especially in southern FL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nitebyrd, thank you! My daughter has a Halloween party every year so she wanted something 'festive'.
    Iguana poop is disgusting! That and them probably eating up a lot of foliage must be troublesome. Are there animal control groups trying to capture/relocate them I wonder?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!