Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

In the Company of Wolves

Yesterday we hopped out of bed at 7 am to get on the road early.  We were off to the Lakota Wolf Preserve to take the only morning tour offered.  The drive was about 5 hours roundtrip.  Upon arrival, there was grueling 3 mile hike up the side of a mountain.  Okay, it was really 1/2 mile though the woods, but it was an inclined walk and there were a lot of rocks and stones on the path.  Ron didn't have any trouble with it.  Me.. whew, I'm  out of shape.  Oh, but there were wolves waiting... and Ron's been wanting to go... so I managed.  They did have a free shuttle, but I thought it would be a nice walk.  I should have followed the crowd.  There were only about 10 that opted to walk.  

As you enter the compound, the wolves start approaching.  They are smart and know it's treat time.  Separated into fenced sections, the wolf varieties are Arctic, Timber, and British Columbian.  The pens are large so they have plenty of space to run and play.  It's not a zoo atmosphere at all.  Yes, the fencing contains them, but because they cannot be released into the wild they are safe there.  They are given excellent care by the owners of the sanctuary and you can see it's a mutual love between them and these magnificent animals.      







Since it's still warm out, their coats were not thick and full like they are in the winter.





When they started to howl I felt emotional.  It's interesting to hear them all together.  There is a video in a separate post of the sounds we heard.  




Not growling, just howling.

This doesn't look so inclined, I know.   It was on the way back to the car.  We got lost in the woods.  It was pretty.  The property belongs to a campground so we found our way out eventually.

 
The downside...  I started to get a bad headache on the way back through the woods.  A combination of the hike on uneven ground, bad sneakers, herniated discs, and forgetting to bring water.  Once back at the car I drank some orange juice leftover from breakfast and popped an Advil but it didn't pass.  I tried to drive, I usually do when we go out because of my motion issues, but had to pull over and let Ron take over because I could feel it coming on bad.  It was a rough ride home.  Luckily we had a bag I could throw up into.  Over a 2 hour drive, some of it on winding roads, then a lot of stopping and starting.  I threw up some more after we got home.  Needing to eat, so to have something other than the lining of my stomach to put into the toilet, I ate and actually started feeling a little better.  Went to bed and slept on and off for the next 14 hours.  Much better today, thank you very much.  :)

Even though that part was horrible ... eh, it's happened quite a few times before and I just deal with it.... the actual time at the preserve was really wonderful.  It was worth seeing.  We enjoyed it.


12 comments:

  1. Wow...that sounded like a very rough ride home, Mary. But I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling much better today. And I'm also glad to hear that the time spent at the preserve was wonderful because it sounded and looked like it did.

    Fantastic photographs of the wolves! Such gorgeous creatures! And I never realized what BIG paws they have.

    Wolves have always fascinated me because I find them 'spiritual' in some way. Maybe it's their eyes, but they seem so incredibly wise and knowing.

    I'm especially drawn to the white ones.

    Awesome video clip of them howling. What a beautiful sound!

    Thanks for sharing your day trip. And judging from the last two photographs, it looked like a stunning day.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a wolf but I always expected them to look rather mean. But they don't. I'm guessing that could be because they're safe from danger in the reserve. An interesting excursion except for the return journey. Was there a hot sun on the day? Anyway, I'm glad you're feeling better now. Just you take care now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are such gorgeous creatures, but the howling reminds me of a bad haunted house!

    I'm sorry to hear you got so ill on the ride home :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes on the ride home, but gosh those wolves are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron, I thought it would be hard to get photos through the fencing but I managed a few decent shots. They actually have a photography tour. It's expensive, a few hundred dollars, but it's a private session and they have holes cut in the fences with removable pieces to accommodate the bigger professional cameras and lenses. The owners work with the photog to get good shots. The wolves are better photographed when it's colder out, as their coats are fuller and they are more active.
    They all respond to Jim and Becky so well, but still, they are very respectful of them and have to take care and know their personalities. Even though they aren't 'wild' in the sense that they were taken from nature, they were all either born there or gotten from another preserve so most of them never knew anything other than that place and those people, they still are pure wolves and must be treated as such.

    Lorna, absolutely! Ron found the place online maybe a couple months ago and knew it was somewhere he wanted to visit.

    Valerie, it was a bit warm but the area is wooded so the weather wasn't a bother to me. Just that pesky motion sickness. Different things trigger it. Not too long ago, I had a little too much wine... the dizziness became vertigo, which started the vomiting. Gah! I'm a mess sometimes. ;)
    They did look a little 'lean and mean' maybe? Or the eyes possibly gave that extra something to wary of? Once their full winter coats come in I imagine they are just beautiful.

    Bijoux, yes, you're right... puts me in mind of Halloween. lol They weren't all in harmony with the howling. She'd call their names and some would join in, so it was like they were trying to participate, but really they must have been thinking...c'mon woman, let's wait for the full moon and we'll really give you a show! ha!
    Sadly, I've had the motion sickness a lot. I think it's about time I get to a ENT and have an eval.
    My sister gets it, too, just not as bad. For long trips, she goes and has her ears flushed and takes meds.

    Secret Agent Woman, I don't travel very well. :(
    It's manageable sometimes though. I usually drive when we go anywhere far. Last trip to GA, I did all the driving down and back minus only a few hours in VA on the way home.
    They really are gorgeous. I'm sure even more so in the winter when their coats are full.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Mary this sounds like a fabulous trip.

    I think wolves are magnificent creatures and it must have been a thrill to see and hear them up close and personal.

    But I do feel badly that you became ill. Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry your trip ended badly, Mary. But I'm so jealous you got to visit the wolves! Thank you for sharing this amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a great place. I've had a fascination with wolves forever.
    Sorry to hear about the sick part.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that is no way to end a pretty awesome trip. Sorry to hear that but glad you are back to normal. The wolf preserve sounds awesome. The wolves are beautiful creatures. I really enjoyed all of your pictures. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rob, yes, they are magnificent! It's nice that there are a lot of things to see and do in this area. We go on day trips as often as we can. Thank you, I felt better after eating and sleeping it off.

    Nitebyrd, there is a wolf preserve in Chipley, FL. Probably not right around the corner though. From their website and reviews I read, you can actually go into the pens and have contact with their wolves. That is not allowed in NJ. There is a cranberry festival here this month and there will be wolves. Not pure bred though. The public can have contact with them, petting and photos. From what I remember from years ago anyway.

    Ann, I just don't travel well sometimes. We deal with it. I could stay home, but then I'd never see anything. lol Yes, they are fascinating. Ron really wanted to go.

    Mr. Shife, it's nice to have these cool things so close by. Well, 5 hours in the car isn't exactly close, but worth the trip. Yes, even with getting sick. Professional photographers can have an unobstructed view and help getting great shots, for a much larger fee. I do what I can with the little pocket camera. Glad to have gotten a few decent shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter had a dog that was a wolf mix, it was as gentle as an old cat. Its' feet were the size of my hand opened wide. Crazy big!
    It makes me sad that humans have been the reason for so many animals to become displaced or extinct.
    Our youngest gets carsick in the backseat, and so do I. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!