Pages

Friday, August 24, 2007

To Blog or NOT to Blog?

So what is it that makes a great blog? In only having my page up for a couple weeks I've had well over 200 views, but what does that mean? Do people stop in, look for a second, and then leave? Do they look at the picture and think, what a freak! LOL My husband dislikes my display picture. Wants to know why I use that one. He says it's a bit weird with those freaky purple glasses. But this isn't about HIM, this is about ME, and I like it. It doesn't necessarily look like me on most days. Okay, it was 20 lbs. ago, Drew would say 50. Ahhh... maybe Drew is closer to being right but it doesn't matter......it says alot about me. Maybe I'll explain in another blog.....

So anyway, do visitors stay and read? Do they bookmark your page and come back again? Do they dismiss you for being a driveling bore. Yikes, I'm so new to blogging and so unsavvy with computer tricks that I haven't even figured out how to list some of the blogs I've visited and like to check back with. You know, put that little list on the right-hand side. HEY, if you're reading this and can help a newbie, PLEASE.... COMMENT!!! Ah, but a couple of you that I read are so over-the-top that maybe I shouldn't put you on my list. Eeee GADS, I read this one that sometimes makes me laugh out loud but when I'm not laughing I'm horrified. He's raw and sick, but occasionally strikes me as funny. Is that so wrong?? Yeah... probably. The guy who authors that blog would have a field day with someone like me who was secretely reading him and didn't have the guts to reveal his site for fear of being judged. For now tho, this little chicky is going to play it a little mysterious. You know, just 'til I test out the waters a bit and decide how much I want y'all to know and what I want my blog style to be. I'm certainly not looking for a mate. Got one of those and he is a fine, fine man. I'm not even so sure I want to blog about my kids all the time. They are wonderful and I love them, but I'm not keeping an online diary of their bowel movements. Some of you do, and to each his own. I might even read it, depending on my boredom level any given day.

Anyway, I was discussing this whole blog thing with my girlfriend earlier this week when I asked her if she had one. I was surprised she started to write, blogged two 'not worth reading' snipets, stopped and then decided to read what others had to say instead. I would think hers would be funny and full of originality. She's enthusiastic about things, like I am, but just other things. We've known each other forever but we're busy with our own lives and have uncommon interests. Still tho, I think she would write with passion and her own brand of humor. I would read hers. Too bad she's usually engaged in one too many things to sit at the keyboard for hours and spill the beans of her crazy life. She did tell me the type of stuff she likes to read......everyday physics and the like. By CRIKEY, if Newton had a blog, she'd read it and probably frickin' understand it line for line. That's how WE are like night and day. We both see the humor in things tho, albeit differently.

So what is it about blogging that's so popular? Do we really want strangers reading about our daily blah-blahs? Are we trying to escape our own worlds that we tell each other about so honestly? Do I care what Jim Smith had for breakfast last Tuesday? I'll tell you what grabs my attention most times. Catchy titles. Of course sometimes you start reading and click out immediately, but that initial spark of interest sometimes starts with a name. I like an engaging writing style too and humor is key. Even if you are blogging about how dreadfully depressed you are (and I've been there so can relate) say it wittily and I'll come back to check on you, make sure you haven't actually jumped off the building. I like a twinkle of provocativeness too. And if you can laugh at yourself, all the better. Life is really NOT this serious. But it's wonderful to have so many things to get us thru it tho, yes??

Well, some of you have already judged... me, this blog, that picture, the style, the wording, whatever.... and have decided to move on. For those who haven't, check back from time to time, leave a comment, say hello, invite me to read your blog. I can't say that mine will always be original or that you'll relish in anything I have to say. I'm certainly not a whiz with vocabulary and my grammar will be all over the place at times. I use shortened word like 'tho' and 'thru' and sometimes the ever-popular internet slang .... LOL, TTYL, IMO, .... you get it. And if you don't.....
that's okay too. I'm on my own journey and ultimately I know I'm learning Le Joi de Vive by embracing my own brand of creativity.

Much love, light, and peace to all who have stopped by. xo Mary ....
aka Mare, aka Juji, aka Mom, aka Honey, aka Mrs. H, aka QB, aka whatever I am to you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!