Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

More holiday memories made.....

Not that Alex isn't sweet EVERY day... but Christmas he was extra enjoyable. It seems that he could feel the energy and excitement. He ripped a little paper from some packages and was all smiles for our visitors. Ollie enjoying a little time alone without his buddy Rev, who always tries to steal his bones even though he's treated like royalty too. The smells of all the goodies in the house were terribly tempting and Christmas morning Rev could take it no more... he wanted to be part of the feast, I guess doggie bacon strips weren't enough? When I left the kitchen, he snuck off with a good sized hunk of sausage I was preparing for appetizers. Luckily, we had received a box of assorted cheeses and beef as a gift the week before so I had a backup. He did have to spend a little time in his crate to think about what he'd done. LOL
Okay.... yes, our pets pretty much have the run of the place. Luckily, we had finished the pizzelles our friend had put in that holiday basket before Greta got into it. She's not a nice cat, as I might have mentioned before, but this was a cute shot so I'm giving her honorable mention in the blog today. Everyone thinks she's a beautiful, darling, little baby, until they put their hand out to pet her and draw back a bloody finger. Even here, she's saying...'gahead...TRY and remove my Furry Highness from this basket and I will hurt you bad, you lowly human whom I will detest thru all my nine lives.' I know she is saying this because when I played a recording of her intense growls backward it was clearly audible. Cats can curse you know....
Ahhhh..... my honey! He sooooo doesn't like his picture taken but I convinced him that this is a nice picture of us and I'm just so thrilled and happy to be his wife that I have to share our holiday picture. Well, he knows I sent it to family in an email yesterday but neglected to mention it was also going on the blog. Shhhhh......
Maybe he's sensitive/shy about his hair altho I don't know why, he's taken the time to grow it and takes great care of it. Right now, it's super long, usually in a pony tail. He will eventually donate it. Then I guess he'll shave the chin thingy?? Not sure what it's called. When it was first growing it was a soul patch, but now that it's so long, a friend calls it an Imperial. I've also seen pics of chin straps/chin puffs, but I think they have mustaches along with them. Alex sure likes to tug on it tho.
Our holidays were very enjoyable. A little too hectic but maybe we actually enjoy that part of it? I shop early every year, get the long list to a manageable level by Thanksgiving, but it never fails...Christmas Eve we are out somewhere buying something. This year it was Walmart. I don't shop there too often, but I needed tea lights so off we went. Hubby found a nerf football and HAD to get that, it's a guy thang I guess, and also we picked up a thermos for the future son-in-law. He's in construction and it'll come in handy for warm beverages with the winter now upon us. It went nice with the jacket we got him. Our daughter didn't ask for a iPod but she always borrows the beau's Zune so we surprised her with the extra gift. I think she would have been happy enough with her favorite perfume that's a little hard to find these days ... Hugo, for women...but she got to freak out twice on the Eve while opening packages! It's always fun to give the kids a thrill. Our son had to find his 12 string Ovation guitar in his room after he'd opened everything else. He loves guitar stuff. Takes lessons. Plays on the Guitar Hero ALL the time. OMG that is an insane game. I tried for the first time last night and got booed off the stage quite a few times. Yikes. I did manage to complete a couple songs on beginner level but just barely. Thinking I just don't have the coordination because I'm left-handed, my son switched the control so I could try it on the left and I played even worse. Oh well, some things are better left to the younger ones with much more flexibility. I see my arms being sore tomorrow from just a few rounds.
We did do something different this year..... opened ALL our gifts to each other on Christmas Eve. Usually just hubby and I exchange and let the kids have 1 gift. We thought it would be fun to sleep in this year so after we got back from dinner at our neighbors and the kids got in from dinner and a Christmas light display in Pennsylvania, we got right down to it.

Hubby usually isn't surprised at anything I get him. This year.... lots of DVD's. Underwear. Headphones. There's the occasional book or shirt or socks if needed but he's just one to get what he wants for himself if there's money for it during the year. This year was the motorcycle. Something I obviously couldn't have picked out for him. He treated himself to accessories at one point a few months back and he is happy with that. However, he does feel the need to surprise me with something every year tho. I don't buy myself anything too expensive usually so he's in charge of jewelry. I got a few rings, a necklace, a silver chain, a locket pendant, and a BEAUTIFUL opal and gold necklace. My son actually picked out the pendant. His future girlfriend is going to like his tastes. Well, after opening a couple books (including the U2 Autobiography, which ROCKS), purse/wallet, calendar, bath yummies for moi... and the many items that the kiddies enjoyed, we got to settle in for a nice sleep before starting all over again Christmas morning. Hubby's parents come for breakfast. His brother comes too, but it's almost like he isn't here as there's usually no greeting when he arrives. I dunno, you go to someone's house on Christmas morning, seems like you should offer everyone a handshake, hug, or atleast mutter something like a wish for the holidays. No, he's not into being too social. So he didn't eat or drink anything and then after playing nice with Alex, I really do think he has a soft spot for my kids even if I'm ignored.... he left. No goodbye or anything. Whatever. The rest of us had enjoyed a nice enough time. We had champagne and orange juice, bagels with spreads, coffee. Nothing too elaborate as I also cook dinner for hubby and kids and had alot to prepare. This year I made an eye roast and a ham, mashed taters, veggies, stuffing... cause I miss my Mom and had to make her recipe...,biscuits, etc. I think I was in the kitchen most of the day and am exhausted now, but it's all worth it. We had a nice time. A friend came for dinner. Another friend stopped by. Things are winding down now and lighting some candles and relaxing was the perfect end to this holiday season. Hubby has to go back to work after having a nice 4-day weekend and I've got lots of organizing and cleaning up to do the rest of this week. Hope you all enjoyed a little time doing something you love. Peace to all in the New Year.

4 comments:

  1. hi - I just wanted to say thanks for visiting my blog!

    Your holiday pictures are great, the animals crack me up. Sounds like you had a really nice celebration.

    lovins,
    fiwa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello fiwa! I enjoyed reading some of your blog and will wander back again soon. Thanks for the kind words, we did enjoy ourselves.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya, Mary!

    I love the Christmas images. The baby looks great, he looks like he's really putting on weight. Sometimes that is harder for preemies.

    My parents have an Ollie of the canine persuasion, too! How funny! I didn't think that there were two Ollies running around! Their dogs have the run of the house just as my cats have it here. But that's as it should be.

    What a beautiful cat! Is she mean to you, too, or just strangers or any guests? I wonder how she got to be so unfriendly. Mine are okay... they love me, but they tolerate Luis and can be pleasant or standoffish but there is no rhyme or reason to it.

    The hair on your husband is impressive! I like that he is growing it for a great cause. Luis' boss does that, too. Now, the chin thing... well, just between us gals, that has got to go! It is awful! I'm sorry, I know that is too blunt, but there it is. Don't tell him - he would probably not be thrilled.

    Well, Happy & Healthy New Year!

    Aislinge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aislinge, My son named 'Ollie' after a skateboard move back when he loved Tony Hawk.
    Yes, Greta is mean to me. ??
    Guess it's a good thing hubby doesn't read my blog... well, he says he doesn't, or he might remind me how he hates having his picture taken and that for someone he didn't know to make a comment about how terrible something looked on him, he would be more adamant about never appearing on my page again! He dislikes the whole blogosphere for a number of reasons already. So no, I would never pass an insult along to him ...or anyone.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!