Via some information I was reading on another site and then asked my girl Fiwa about, I'm finding out that ALL posts are readable thru Google Reader after they are saved. This got me to thinking about all the ways it makes blogging difficult. Soooooo many times I've gone and grabbed a meme off another blog and popped it into my list of posts to come back to later and do myself. Of course that persons information is still there as until I go back into the post section to work on it and erase their answers and fill in my own. So little by little I might whack away at a meme and change answers or need to think for awhile about stuff. And plenty of other times I have just felt like venting but not to the point of it being on my actual page, so I've used my post section occasionally to do that. And all the while that stuff sitting in my list of posts being available kinda makes me not feel like blogging anymore. Seriously. SERIOUSLY.
My posts are on autosave so they are there whether or not I ever intend to publish them. As I'm writing this now it's just saving, saving, saving. And then there's a couple posts I've removed for various reasons, maybe SPECIFICALLY that I didn't want CERTAIN people to read them, and that they are STILL available is also a bother for personal reasons.
And how does one who uses Google reader know what is the final finished post of a person they read? How does it update? If you save a post and it's available thru Google Reader and then you change it but that doesn't appear as a new post, how do you know when to make the comment? Do you have to actually go to the blog to read the final version? And with hundreds of posts, do they just keep piling up in one huge file?? I'm not sure I get the whole concept of it or that I like it.
I'm in a baaaaaddddd mood today so all this just makes for another annoyance to my day.
To think that I was having so much fun with blogging and now that I have to sensor every single thought and background thing and possible post idea or it will be read by everyone who has me on the Reader, because there is no way to make your saved posts private. To sit and write out everything, or do it in the write program just takes too much time. I want to do it in blogger, but if that's not possible, I'll have to decide if I even want to continue. Who would miss this blog anyway? Yeah, yeah... okay people make a nice comment now........ should I erase that? Did you just read it? My 'save now' button just saved it without me doing a thing.
I have Google Reader, but only logged two names in. It just seemed easier to just go stalk my list every hour on the hour to see if they've posted. LOL
I actually like the visuals on peoples blog rather than reading them in email form. I like the colors, the pictures, the songs, all the sidebar stuff an I was willing to wait until there posts were just published regularly. Getting it the second it gets saved on a post seems a bit too sneaky for me. I'll stalk you, but just by coming to your page. HA
Guess I don't even have to publish this, huh???? You're just reading, reading, reading.........
So maybe I'll be back, and maybe I won't. Seriously, maybe I WON'T.
Hi M!
ReplyDeleteHey...just to let you know, I've had you on my google reader for many months now, and I've NEVER seen your saved posts.
I do know, that once you publish a post, whoever has you on their reader will see that first publication as you published it. I learned this, because after I published one of my posts once, I noticed a mispelled word. So I changed it, thinking that it would change the already published post on the reader...and it didn't. However, it DID update the post changes in the feed...just not the immediate published one.
I also have my blog feed created at Feedburner. Now when I made the spelling correction on there...it DID refresh the feed, instantly.
(at least I think it did)
I guess each reader is different.
I always creat a post on my documents first..and then paste it to my blog page (although I know that you said you don't do it that way). I save all my pre-written posts on my documents, so that I can change them if I decide to add or subtract stuff.
I do know that if you write a post and then POST-date it...it will not be visible until it's published. Jeff just did that with one of his posts and I didn't see it until today.
To tell you the truth, I use to NEVER use a reader for the blogs I visited. Like you, I use to just visit them eveyday, but I did find that it was taking too much time. I usually use my reader just to show me when someone adds a post. I very rarely read the post from there. I too, like to visit everyones blogs. It feels more personal.
I hope you DO come back to blog, because I really enjoy coming here and reading your posts.
I would miss you. And I think a lot of people would too.
Maybe just take a little break and see how you feel later on.
Take care, M!
P.S. I've been in an icky mood today too. I honestly think it's the humidity and heat!
I have the same problem, sometimes I publish a post before it's ready then the whole thing is out there before all screwed up.
ReplyDeleteI wish there was a way to fix that.
OH! Shades of George Orwell! I had no idea. I don't use Google Reader or any of that RSS stuff. I try just to visit daily because like you I like pictures and stuff.
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping that you'll have some coffee and chocolate or chocolate coffee and will come back in a better frame of mind. I'd hate to see you leave our blogland.
(((HUGS)))
Hey wait - maybe Ron and Hammer are right...maybe it's not saved posts, because I've had you on my google reader list for MONTHS, and I've never seen a post that wasn't there when I clicked on your blog. Maybe what it is is posts you've published but then deleted don't go away? Because that is what it turned out Brad had done. He posted something, changed his mind and deleted it.
ReplyDeleteI'm SO SORRY if I caused a fracas and I was wrong!!!! Please forgive me and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't quit blogging!!!!!
Email me if you want to unload - but please don't quit blogging over this. Please?
lovins,
fiwa
Only the blogs you choose to publish will be available in Google Reader. But it does suck thatit's the first version that ends up out there. I've hit publish by accident when a post was still in need of formatting and it annoyed me that someone would see it before I had a chance to fix it.
ReplyDeleteI only use googe reader to find out who has posted, but I need to be on their blog to really experience the post.
*hugs*
I click on all my links one by one a few times a day. lol
ReplyDeleteHello all!
ReplyDeleteI think I got my panties in a bunch for no good reason. And stay away from blogging..... OH.THE.HORROR.
I would miss y'all too much! :)