Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

Later this year is my 25th anniversary. YAY!!!

I know I'm really lucky to have bribed a great guy who's put up with loved me for all these years!

For awhile now, we've been back and forth about what to do to celebrate the big event. If you managed to stick with the Stark Evil Under A Blue Sky post, then you KNOW vacations don't always turn out as planned. Seriously, don't go off and read that now.... stay right here. I'll sum it up:
-Expensive vacation
-Jumper lost at sea
-Itinerary changed
-Sickness
-Despair
-Many thousands of dollars wasted

-Carnival sucks
-Never cruising AGAIN!
-Still bitter about the whole thing

So you can imagine that only a couple of years later, to be contemplating a trip has me feeling a little concerned. We do NOT vacation every year. Yes, we manage a few local day trips, nice dinners out, movies, etc. You know, just having fun in our own way. Our budget has never allowed big trips too often. But for this special occasion, we've been saving, and I've been looking into different possibilities. And I'm not even close to having this one figured out. And I say... I... because hubby knows the dictator his loving wife has to be in control of certain things so he graciously stands aside and lets me have at it.

He knows I'd love to see Europe, for awhile I was on an Italy kick. I had coins for the fountain and knew how to say Buongiorno, Per favore, and Grazie. Ah, that's not of much interest to him, but to keep me from freaking out happy, he went along with it for awhile. Our money wouldn't go very far abroad though. Then it was Florida. First it was a trip to the Keys, then I got bored with that idea and thought since we'd already been to Disney, we'd do Universal. AND since we missed out on the Dolphin Swim on the Nightmare Cruise From Hell, I knew of a place down there that has that activity and friends of ours went earlier in the month and said it was AWESOME. I really really really want to do that some day. Not necessarily this year. But we're still considering this trip.

So very recently, after telling Hub that I had posted about Switzerland and had dreamed of skiing the Matterhorn sipping hot cocoa at a Swiss chalet, he indulged me once again and said 'get some prices'. OH that loving and wonderful MAN O MINE! I did half-heartedly look into some places. Again, the prices were pretty high. I'm sure there are deals to be had for the basic trip, but then add on food, tours, etc. and Europe probably falls outside of the budget. But really, what had me more concerned about a trip like that was the air travel. It's like 7 hours to London, and then after a short layover, another 2 hours more in the air and I have issues. Serious issues. I'm not afraid to fly. I just get pretty motion sick and can't take the pressurized cabin air and all that. I can manage a flight to Florida, maybe even push it to 3 or 4 hours. Five if I took some xanax and drank some wine. OH, no wait, that's not advisable. But anything longer and I know I'd be really pushing everyone's buttons my luck. It's strange that I can do rollercoasters and certain other amusement rides, but have major trouble on cruises and planes. ??

Hubby threw in some suggestions, not for serious discussion, more like for shits and giggles because AGAIN, I am the DECIDER. Okay??? Sorta like Bushie feels only I don't actually get to f*ck up an entire country, only make my little corner of it crazy now and then.

He also mentioned driving up to New England. As much as I would like a little cool weather right NOW, I think that area would be better in the Fall when the leaves change and our trip would be a bit later than that. And we did go further north into Canada and Niagara Falls for our 20th anniversary.
He mentioned renting a nice SUV type vehicle and driving South. Possibly ending up in Florida and maybe doing the dolphin/Universal thing but with NO itinerary. Just us and the road. Hmmm.... honey, you might have something there?? I was concerned with driving down and back in the week we have. He said we'll extend it to 10 days or so. OH honey, really?? That 10 day one has me thinking. Of course the kids and pets could fend for themselves I'd really miss the family for a trip that long.
THEN....
THE OTHER DAY....
He comes home and says that he had another idea. Instead of spending ALL our money, blowing every last cent on a week away, why not just do an overnighter with a nice dinner somewhere and he buys me a REALLY PRIMO CAMERA instead of a trip. He mentions an SLR. I get all tingly. He says polarizing filter and I'm practically putty in his arms. He whispers telephoto and macro lenses and I'm just weeping in ecstasy. Then I snap back into reality and remember I have no photography skills whatsoever.

Okay, yeah, yeah, I'm always posting stuff on the blog. Yeah, and I edit that stuff half to death. Hell, I don't even know what my real hair color is. And I haven't been that weight since the stomach virus of 'o5 hit. Please.

So I told him my concerns. He said 'okay, I'll pay for a class or two as well.'
And of course we'd still go out to a nice dinner for our anniversary, maybe even see a show as well.
WOW!!!
Yep, that's my honey!!! Bitches, now just STAY BACK. I haven't been bribing him with awesome sex channeling Betty Crocker all these years for nothing.

Alrighty, so there are other things on the table too:
*We could have a small party out somewhere. We definitely have some way cool friends who'd gladly help us celebrate! There are lots of places nearby we could take a group of our besties for a night out! And my SIL mentioned a party she went to, a walking party, where they started at one restaurant in Philly for appetizers, then walked to another for dinner, then to another place for dessert. Sounded interesting. Of course in November if we're staying local I sooooo see us in a party bus or something as the weather might be an issue. I looked into stretch limos and they are not affordable, but the site said to ask about winter discounts. Hmmm??

*This looks like a blast!! Okay, except for the flying, the trekking, the hiking, the camping and the prices. Note to self: while contemplating future lives, put RICH and ATHLETIC on the short list. ;)

*We could host a big party. We do have someone in the family who might be able to get us a local hall rental. So we could go that route and invite the family and friends we don't see all that often. Sort of a mini reunion. This could be fun or turn into drama.....

*Then there's just staying home and being practical. We have an old house that always needs upkeep and eventually we'll have to completely gut the kitchen (seriously, I don't even have a dishwasher!) so maybe we should just do something small to celebrate and continue to save for when we're ready to tackle that project.

Well, here's where I ask YOUR opinions. What would you do? Any of the above sound like fun or maybe you have another suggestion. Of course I'll do my own thing anyway take everything into consideration.

Update: As of today (Monday), hub says if he gets an actual say, which I think we've already determined that he does not, he's sort of leaning towards the Florida vacay. What do you think????



17 comments:

  1. You have a really great husband - what a neat guy.

    You know, I think I would skip going overseas - I don't think you'd get very much for your money right now.

    But the rest of it all sounds really good. What do YOU want to do? Take some time to really think about it, you know in your heart of hearts what you really want to do, don't you?

    I think if I had the choice, I'd compromise. Take a 3 day weekend and go somewhere, and save the rest for either the camera or the kitchen. But then - I'm a beachy vacation kinda girl - that's just me.

    What a tough decision - of course you will tell us how it plays out, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say....... do whatever you want to do! (but forget the practical sh**. You are only young once..... why not go on a safari to Africa? Or jaunting in the Himalayas? Or go temple trekking in Japan? Or........
    Hehehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the road trip sounds cool unless it's too much driving, then maybe do a shorter one.

    maybe a really lovely B&B?

    Absolutely do something fun, don't save money just for practical - life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am the worst to ask. I prefer staying home and being cuddly and not doing much. We go to the mountain and spend the day playing on the 4 wheeler or whatever. But it's to much dam work to go places to me.

    On our 15th just this last april, I think I got flowers, he got a card, and we ordered in. hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG...I think you must have LIBRA as your rising sign!!!

    Decisions!?!?!?

    I hear ya!

    Well, after reading these choices, I think I'd have to agree with Dianne. A nice B&B somewhere in the country. Maybe the Poconos or something. This way you could have some nice quite time with one another and relax, take some great photos, eat some great food.

    Having lived in Florida for so long, Disney would NEVER be my choice, but I know that people really enjoy visiting. Also, remember something...it stays VERY hot in FLorida until at least Nov or Dec. September can be the WORST heat.

    Personally, for ME...I would choose Europe, but I know you're not crazy about the flight. I REALLY don't enjoy flying, but I would do it, to get there.

    Anway, M...maybe a PERFECT plan will come up, in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary. I'm sure whatever you end up doing will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey this is what I answered you "chez moi" (so to speak) but just give this thought a moment... you're in New Jersey, which is pretty near New York City, isn't it?... NYC is a major town, which surely has emergency passport issuing offices?... so go on, get those damn passports and

    ALLEZ A PARIS!!!

    C'MON!!!

    ;->...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to travel but it'd be hard to pass up a camera too. Tough decision. I'll be curious to hear what you choose. Congrats on 25 years! That's AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So? Didya decide?
    I forgot to say..."Happy Anniversary!"

    lovins!
    f

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ask him for tickets to the Olympics and go soak in some of that smog! LOL! 25yrs, wow. That's great! I would LOVE an SLR with all the glitz and glammour! Talk it over with the hubs and come to an in-between. I hear the Outer Banks are nice in the winter. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey sweet lady - just wanted to tell you I got the earrings today. Thank you for the other thing too - you are so sweet and thoughtful! My husband said to tell you thank you too. I'm going to send your business card in with it and hopefully she will come visit your site. :)

    Thanks again & big hugs!
    fiwa

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I NEVER see Florida again, it will be too soon. I hate Florida. I think it's ugly. It's humid. It's hot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fiwa, The problem is, I want to do tooooo many things! That dolphin swim really sounds fun. I'll post the pic of my girlfriend when they went down and did it. It's harder for me because I'm NOT a beachy person. Well, a couple days, okay but then I want to go and do STUFF!
    Jules, you're right, practical can wait! The Himalayas and Japan both sound interesting but I'd die in the air that long. Or a flight attendant would open up a hatch and push me out. LOL
    Dianne, hub mentioned a B&B too. I think I am leaning towards the road trip, right now anyway.
    Burfica, I know what you mean, it's alot of work! And then sometimes not worth it in the long run.
    I don't even remember our 15th or what we did, if anything. LOL
    Ron, actually Capricorn rises in my chart but I have Venus in Libra in the 9th and that has to do with long distance travel.
    So I long to go alot of places but can't make up my mind??? LOL
    The Poconos was suggested by other friends but I have never been interested in going there. I know Florida is hot, but it's still U.S. so we don't need passports and when it's cold here, maybe it would be good to be somewhere warmer to feel like we really went away. ?? If Europe wasn't so expensive......
    Hammer, thanks! We do usually end up having a good time just being together. Well, okay, the cruise was pretty bad. But hubby and son had fun!
    Gledwood, we have a passport office 15 minutes from me in New Jersey. I don't know how backed up they are, but we could still technically get the done. I know we should. But I prolly wouldn't do Paris. I'd do London first. Hey, are you taking on foreign visitors??? LOL
    Rhea, thank you! I know it's a tough decision. I think the lack of photography skills would really make a camera like that frivolous. I should really take more time to learn my Canon, the one you upgraded to. I'm not planning to ever go pro or anything. I only take pics for myself. Ah, but we'll see....
    Fiwa, thank you!
    Phatmom, I used to love the Olympics, now I just watch tiny snipets of the highlights. We have friends who've gone to the Outer Banks and had a great time.
    Fiwa, you and Clarke are both very welcome. I hope MIL likes them. The biz card isn't official, just something I put together so you'de have something to tuck in the card. :)
    Bonnie, OH NO..... We're sorta leaning towards a road trip down there. LOL
    Well, we went to Disney in 2000 and had a GREAT time!
    It was October. I don't really have any desire to go back to all those parks, but we would like to do Sea World and a couple of the rides at Universal before we get too darn old to do it. The 4th of July at Great Adventure almost killed me. LOL We're still discussing though. And being it'll just be us, we can just go with the flow anywhere we end up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I personally liked Florida, the little I have seen of it. Miami is very cool. But it will be very humid - that you can count on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tough decisions Mary!! Sooooo many choices. At the moment, my dream vacation is Sedona, AZ. I LOVE it out West and would move there tomorrow....but my husband doesn't want to live there...just visit. Santa Fe is beautiful as is Taos and Albuquerque and Cloudcroft. How about islands.... South Padre Island in Texas is lots of fun and a bit different. The flight isn't too bad. I loved Key West too, but it is humid there! Crazy, craziest people in the world, but so much fun to people watch!! Big congratulations on your 25th!! Had I stayed married to my first husband we would be celebrating too. However; second husband and I just celebrated 15 years. And you will probably laugh....LadyBug was my fifteen year anniversary gift!! Maybe I'll get two for the thirtieth!! LOL Whatever you decide, I'm sure it'll be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. :D lol... I can't even concentrate on thinking or suggesting anything you have on your list... b/c i'm too busy laughing at what you have written... you are hilarious. :)

    i'm not a saver... or really smart with money... just ask my hubby... but i'd try to do a vacation and get the camera to take pics of it... skip the classes to save some money and read about it all on the internet... and then I'd come home and start to gut my kitchen so i had a winter project. lol


    good luck whatever you decide!! :)

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fiwa, I guess there is a little good as well as bad to be found everywhere. If it weren't for my flying issues, there would be sooooo many more places to consider and save for.
    Bichonpawz, My inlaws have taken a few trips west and LOVE IT! They did Sedona and Taos, etc. and if we had a little more time, it might be the place to go. I am not sure I could take the flight, and driving we'd need longer than a week-ten days. Hey, I think getting LadyBug is awesome!! My husband paid quite a bit for our Vizsla 5 years ago. I love animals but could do with or without them really. I'm tired of the mess. LOL But he could never do without, so if it's something he enjoys that much then it's totally worth the money.
    And your babies are really sweet!!! So that was a cool gift!
    Jennifer, I feel like this is turning into a comedy. LOL On one hand we want to do something special, but then think, well, why? It's an anniversary and god willing, there will be more. So why knock ourselves out to save and then blow all the money in a week. But hubby works so hard that I know a vacay would be nice for him too. Because it's just us, we can go at our own 'granny and grampy' pace. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!