Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

You can still cook with a broken spatula

This is the last photo I have of T & R.  Actually, I probably only have a couple anyway.  They didn't seem to like their pictures being taken.  One I have of when Ron first met the family, T and her brother made funny faces just as the picture was snapped.  It was funny to see it later.  R preferred to be behind the lens taking his own photos.  Maybe a lot of photographers are like that?  So when we visited with them back in March I really wanted something but I knew better than to just start clicking away.  I asked to take this and they said sure.  Faces, no.  Feet, okay.  They were cute like that.  


My grandson, on the other hand, is a big ham for the camera.  He wanted me to make sure and show Pop Pop that his new teeth are coming in.   Haha!  Love this sweet boy!

And there's my other poser... Sierra will jump into position even if she thinks there's a camera nearby.  When Alex went crabbing with my husband last weekend she went with me to the bookstore and participated in a coloring event that was going on.  

Ron told me weeks ago we needed a new spatula, or two, or three.  (He's all about the backup.)  So he took great delight in the 'I told you so' when the handle of the black plastic one broke off last weekend.  I still haven't been out to get a new one.  So I had to be careful flipping pancakes this morning.  This is not really a big deal to me but he will get uptight if he sees me doing this too often and then he'll be at a store buying like five of them.  

About a week ago I noticed a praying mantis on the screen of the kitchen window.  I have really only seen a few of these little creatures in the whole of my life, so I thought maybe it was significant.  

After taking probably 10 pictures... yeah, of one insect... I looked up the meaning.

This what I found online:
"Praying Mantis Meanings in the Realms of Animal Symbolism
The mantis comes to us when we need peace, quiet and calm in our lives.  Usually the mantis makes an appearance when we've flooded our lives with so much business, activity, or chaos that we can no longer hear the still small voice within us because of the external din we've created.
After observing this creature for any length of time you can see why the symbolism of the praying mantis deals with stillness and patience.  The mantis takes her time, and lives her life at her own silent pace.
A quick-list of praying mantis symbolism:
Stillness
Awareness
Creativity
Patience
Mindful
Calm 
Balance
Intuition
These traits have lead the mantis to be a symbol of meditation and contemplation.  In fact, in China, the mantis has long been honored for her mindful movements.
The mantis never makes a move unless she is 100% positive it is the right thing for her to do.  This is a message to us to contemplate and be sure our minds and souls all agree together about the choices we are making in our lives.
Overwhelmingly in most cultures the mantis is a symbol of stillness.  As such she is an ambassador from the animal kingdom giving testimony to the benefits of meditation, and calming our minds.
An appearance from the mantis is a message to be still, go within, meditate, get quiet and reach a place of calm.  It may also be a sign for you to be more mindful of the choices you are making and confirm that these choices are congruent."

Okay, might not be doing great with some of that.  Oh, of course, there are days when things feel calm, when creativity is flowing, etc. etc. but certainly other days when I'm not aware of much more than how much my body is aching.  Yes, I'm mindful... of how impatient I get over the silliest of things.  And other times when I'm intuitive enough to know that if I eat half a bag of potato chips in a day I will continue having issues with my weight, and yet I eat them anyway.  *sigh*   
Balancing it all takes a bit of work, my friends.  Happy at least to have another day to try.

What was the last photograph you took?
Do you have a daily practice of exercise or meditation?

9 comments:

  1. What a sweet photo of T & R, Mary.

    And the ones of your grandchildren are precious. They just keep getting cuter and cuter!

    HA! And I love the shot of you holding the broken spatula while trying to flip the pancakes! It's funny because I have several spatulas that I got when I worked at Williams-Sonoma, but because I BARELY cook, I hardly ever use them.

    I was utterly fascinated with your photographs of the praying mantis and its meaning. It seems that you and I have been visited by symbolism lately. Me with a dragonfly, you with a praying mantis. And isn't it something how it seems to make sense in a way?

    Thanks for sharing, my friend!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also thinking about Ron's dragonfly while reading about your praying mantis. Cool stuff!

    No, I don't do any sort of meditation or anything. My last picture is of my son on his college campus by a statue of the mascot inside the arena.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a praying mantis... how wonderful. I didn't even know the colour of one.

    As for Ron buying several things to be on the safe side... so what's wrong with that... I do it all the time. I keep thinking of the old saying 'better safe than sorry'. And yes, I get told off for it :O)

    Those pancakes look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the visit!

    I love praying mantises - they look like space creatures to me. Interesting about the symbolism. And I laughed out loud at the photo of you using the broken spatula. But it made me want blueberry pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My last picture is on my blog at www.lornaslandofwonder.blogspot.com

    I do something which I hope is meditating but I really have a problem with mindfulness, so maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what? I don't know what the last photo I took was. Seriously. No idea. Maybe it was a picture of geese. Anyway...

    Yes, I meditate daily. I have to, lest my depression picks me up and carries me away. I even have reminders set on my ipod to help me to breathe and mindfully check in and "pause".

    As for eating mindlessly... another daily struggle and trying to be mindful. Everyday, sometimes several I have to pay attention to this.

    And yes, at the end of the day you can still cook with a broken spatula.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Mary! It took my forever to get a new spatula after struggling with spoons and anything else I could find.

    Great photos. I'm taking photos all the time with my I-phone.

    As far as meditation, I took a mindfulness stress reduction class not too long ago and I've been trying to meditate every morning. Some days are better than others...

    Love that praying mantis image and the symbolism. I think that's a very powerful message.

    "Balancing it all takes a bit of work, my friends. Happy at least to have another day to try."

    Yes, indeed. Joy and gratitude are important for a happy life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very behind.
    I solved our spatula dilemma with two Princess House spatulas. Our spatula problem consisted of having about ten spatulas. I gave the others away and now I wish I'd have sent them to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ron, that was just how they were... quirky and fun.
    OH, designer spatulas, wow, I'm jealous. ha!
    Yes, the symbolism does seem to make sense. Interesting, isn't it?!

    Bijoux, yes, it was really cool that Ron just photographed the dragonfly on his window. :)
    I have so many pictures! Little camera discs laying all around. I save a lot of them even after I put them on the computer because one day that old dinosaur is going to crash and I'm not good at backing things up.

    Valerie, nothing wrong with extra things.... I just tend to buy extra books and extra candles and extra crafting supplies. Ron's more practical for sure. ;)
    The pancakes were delish, and the next day, too!

    Secret Agent Woman, no problem, I'll be 'round again. Yeah, and I STILL haven't gotten a new spatula. Made eggs the other day with my little broken utensil.

    Lorna, I liked your picture! Yeah, I'm not so sure I'm doing it right either. Points for trying!

    Barbara, nothing wrong with some reminders. I know what you mean about the struggle with eating. We're supposed to chew slowly, prepare things mindfully, look at the colors and taste the flavors. Oh, some days it's just shovel shovel burp. :(

    Rob, hey, good for you and trying to meditate each morning.
    I have a camera on my phone but since it's an older flip phone type the pictures aren't very good or big.
    Oh, I've used knives and serving spoons in place of spatulas. Whatever works. LOL

    Heartinhand, I haven't gotten anything from Princess House in many, many years. Still have some nice older pieces of crystal in my china cabinet though. My husband would laugh if we started getting spatulas in the mail. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!