Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Babies

My grandson will be a year old next month. He's come a long way since the preemie days of just under 4 lbs.
In the hospital, my daughter signed up for a 'FREE' photo of the baby. LOL I laugh because the first time they came for his photo session it cost her somewhere around $100.00+ for the small package she chose. Interestingly, that package included one 'FREE' photo each year, I think for the first 5 years?? Today they are coming for his first birthday picture. She has told me that she will only order the 'free' 8x10. I guess because she asked us all for money and we said no. LOL It's not that I don't feel a professional picture is worth buying, I just know they really don't have the money for something like this and we do not either right now. Aside from that, I didn't find the first session to be all that WOW. The photos were nice, but somewhat average. AND this company has been calling and calling and calling and calling. They are relentless in trying to reach her for the next 'free' picture. They even left a message saying they had pictures that belonged to her and wanted to make sure she got them. Please. Also, last week, I answered the phone and told the girl that they had gone away for the weekend just so I would get a break from them calling. The girl says 'oh really, she's away, she just called us'. I do not like companies who operate like that. Also, after the photographer comes, you have to wait a couple of weeks before the salesman comes to show everything on the computer. So my home is being invaded a couple of times for one 'free' picture. I know my daughter loves her son and if she's entitled to something for him I am sure she wants to have it, but she is naive about the way some things work. I told her if she wanted professional portraits done to wait until the holidays are close and get a special from one of the many Mall type studios. For the money, they aren't bad. You go there and you get to see the pictures right away. Maybe I'm just being difficult?? But Alex is only a year old and with everyone having digital cameras these days we have soooooo many pictures already I don't know what to do with them all. Okay, fine, I'm not attending the Anne Geddes school of baby photography, but I still manage to get a few cute shots of the little guy here and there. If you've been stopping by my blog long enough, you've seen many photos of him. Here's one from the other day.
My other sweeties in a relaxing moment. Probably dreaming of where they can start digging next. I manage to get one section of the yard freshened up and they are ripping and running somewhere else. It looks like a dust bowl by the fence we share with a neighbor. Luckily, they are dog lovers and understand why I am not going to attempt to work in that area.

7 comments:

  1. Nothing in this life is really free. They will stick it to ya every time.

    Since I could only have the one, I sorta have way to many pictures. I got the one's in the hospital. a few months old (my mom won a package in a contest) and family photo's at 1 year, 8 years, and 11 years old. He has a set of pictures every year until three then the schools start taking one or two set a year, and I get a small pack of those. Only 20 bucks and like a gazillion pictures. So..not to bad.

    Oh oh oh and our last family photo's I set up our niece to come over and we had three digital camera's set up, and I did a nice backdrop with the love seat. She took a gazillion, and we went to walmart and had all sorts of sizes printed out instantly for like 12 dollars.

    Something to think about, utilize the digital and go to walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, there is no such thing as "free". I don't blame you - all that would drive me nuts too. And as you said, you're pretty handy with the camera and come up with better shots anyway. He's such a cutie pie - I just love his smile. He looks like he has such a sunny personality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those picture deals are a huge scam. I take the free one say no and leave.

    Cute kid BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the bubba is soooooooooo cute!!!! I just want to smother him in kisses!!!!! xx

    BTW RAT GiRL Part 2 is out if ya wanna check it out!!! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    Burfica, that's for sure! I got one of those expensive packages when our daughter was very young, but after that it was Kmart or our own cameras.
    Fiwa, he really is a sweetie with a big smile and a fun personality. Now that he's crawling and standing he's sure a handful. LOL
    Hammer, atleast we know how companies try to get us. She'll learn. He sure is!
    Giggle, thanks! I'll check out Rat Girl soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok....fu@#!k the professional photographer!!!!

    YOU, my friend, are a BRILLIANT photographer...and I MEAN that!

    These photos are breathtaking!

    How did you get them to look like that??

    They both have a "vintage look" to them...and I LOVE that!

    The baby is adorable...and so are the woof-woof's!

    Beautiful job, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Ron! I use different programs, sometimes Picasa which is a freebie from Google. Other time Picnik, the basic version also free, and I do have Photoshop altho I don't know much about it. Sometimes just switching a photo to black and white or sepia is a nice effect. And you can add a haze to the edges, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!