Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Sir 'Ed'

Conservationist, beekeeper, author, lecturer, philanthropist, adventurer, mountaineer, Sir Edmund Hillary of New Zealand died Thursday. He was 88. He was the first man, along with Tenzing Norgay (his climbing companion) to have summited the highest mountain on Earth!

I have been fascinated with Mount Everest for many years now and have a few books and videos on the subject. If there is a t.v. show on I'll watch it, old highlights of past climbers, current attempts at summiting. All very fascinating! There's been talk for some time about how it could have been George Mallory and Andrew Irvine who summited Everest first in 1924 but they died on the mountain. While an expedition did find Mallory's body in 1999 and have been working with different clues to try and determine if it was possible that they summited, the bottom line is that only half the job was completed. Attaining the summit of Mt. Everest must be an incredible test of determination. I cannot imagine what kind of drive one must have to possess to go thru all that a quest like that requires. But getting back down is part of that challenge. So even if they find solid evidence that the team in the 20's stood on the highest point in the world, the credit should still always go to 'Ed' Hillary and his Sherpa, Tenzing.

Interestingly, Hillary didn't place himself among top mountaineers. "I don't regard myself as a cracking good climber. I'm just strong in the back. I have alot of enthusiam and I'm good on ice," he said. "I really am an ordinary person with a few abilities which I've tried to use in the best way I can."

Hillary worked hard over many years to help Nepal, the country which gave him fame. He set up the Himalayan Trust in the '60's and since has funded and given assistance to build hospitals, health clinics, airfields, and schools. Also, he was able to raise money for higher education for Sherpa families, aid in setting up reforestation programs, and other things.

He spent a good long time with people he loved and participated in activities which brought him much joy. That's a nice life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!